HELP

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

kperk

HELP

Postby kperk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 pm

I'm new to the offroading thing, but I know for sure I want to get into it. I just need some advice. I'll go for wheels/suspension later but what about a brush guard. I've got an 04 Path SE which I LOVE! Any advice would help!! :shock:

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:13 am

Why would you want a brush guard? A brush guard is likely to worsen the front end damage to your vehicle when you get into slower-speed accident as the brush guard pushes into areas/parts that might not be affected by the impact itself, otherwise.

A member of xterraownersclub.com has actually experienced this, and posted damages with pictures there...years back. I tried to locate this thread for you, but I was not able to from a quick search...

kperk

Postby kperk » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:05 am

the exact reason I need advice, thanks for the post!

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:46 pm

First thing pull off the crap running boards if you have them. Invest in a "good" set of sliders. Also a decent set of tires, at least 6 ply for protection from rocks. If you can get a extra set of rims to mount them on, since you mileage will be crap because of the extra weight and rolling resistance. Skid plates for the oil pan, transfer case and gas tank. That should be good for basic protection. Then get a tow strap, high-lift jack and a good tool box, sears always has a sale going on. A CB wouldn't be a bad investment, since some places won't have cell coverage.

One thing to remember is don't go alone.

Scaramoche

bumper/brushgaurd

Postby Scaramoche » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm

First off, 90% of the ones out there are for looks, not fuctionality. If you are looking to upgrade for performance type reasons I would suggest either a beefy one meant for a winch, or a pre-runner style which has full skid plate and mounts not only to where the old bumper, but distributes front energy to the whole chasis. Problem is this type is generally custom built and very expensive.

I'm looking locally to find a fabricator to build a full pre-runner with skid plate, cheapest ive found is almost 2k. I need to learn how to weld :P My personal opinion would be to lift it a bit so you have clearence, besides all trucks made for "True" 4x4 focus on suspension, and such first. Just my 2 cents being as im learning as well.

Return to “General Automotive”