VDC and SLIP dash lights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:51 pm

i had the vdc light come on, i turned the truck off started her up and it was still on. took it to the dealer and they said it had to be reprogramed. It took like 5 minutes and i was on my way again hasn't given me any trouble since.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:54 pm

When I turned off my truck and started it again the lights were off, im just worried that this will be an ongoing problem. But thanks for your input, gave me some reassurance that all it needs was a repgrogramming to get it back to where it was. Thanks

me&pathy wrote:i had the vdc light come on, i turned the truck off started her up and it was still on. took it to the dealer and they said it had to be reprogramed. It took like 5 minutes and i was on my way again hasn't given me any trouble since.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 am

I have the same problem. 2008 4x4 V8. Happens to me once or twice a month. The car drives fine when the VDC/Slip is on. After I shut off the engine, wait about 30sec to a minute, start the engine back up and the lights disappear.

I have told the dealer the problem, and yup, can't reproduce. I'm living with it for now, but I would like to find the root of the problem.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Strange enough, I got hit with this problem for the first time today as well. I noticed it happened after disconnecting my battery. The first time I disconnected, both VDC and SLIP lights came on on startup. SLIP went off shortly after. VDC stayed on a bit, then turned off about 20 feet into my drive (to Autozone to get battery terminal cleaning supplies). Once I got home, had to disconnect again to clean the terminals. After cleaning and reconnecting, I started her up and sure enough, both lights back on. I just shut her down and left as is. We'll see what happens tomorrow AM when I leave for work.

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:55 am

I just had the same thing happen in regards to the VDC light coming on and staying on after a battery disconnection. I replaced the stock stereo with a Kenwood multimedia headend and when I reconnected the battery after the install - sure enough the VDC light was lit and would not shut off. I thought I had mucked up the connector to the switch (which has to be removed to get to the stereo), but even after checking the connection it remained lit. HOWEVER, shortly after actually driving the truck (not even to the end of my street...much like G35TR), the light turned off and hasn't been on since.

Definately seems to have something to do with the onboard computer...it's able to 'reprogram' or reset by itself for some of us just by driving a short distance, and looks like it needs to be manually reset for others.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 am

The VDC/Slip light staying on after a battery disconnect is normal. Somewhere in the instructions, or service manual, can't remember, mentions that the computer has to recalibrate and says to drive a few miles for it to do so.

The problem is that the VDC/Slip light randomly going on and staying on even without disconnecting the battery.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:22 am

ragpaoa wrote:The VDC/Slip light staying on after a battery disconnect is normal. Somewhere in the instructions, or service manual, can't remember, mentions that the computer has to recalibrate and says to drive a few miles for it to do so.

The problem is that the VDC/Slip light randomly going on and staying on even without disconnecting the battery.
Well, sure enough after leaving for work this morning, the light was still on but turned off shortly afterwards.

I have a electrical build project I'm planning on this weekend and didn't need something like this popping up! Good to know this is normal.

Facevedo17

Postby Facevedo17 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:54 am

last time I saw that light althought it comes on out of the blue was when driving on I95 and my front tire just blew up .....

dmasini

Postby dmasini » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:23 pm

I was finally in a position to take it to the dealer while the lights were on and they ran the scanner on it. My issue was a bad steering sensor. He said most of the one's he has seen with this problem were Xterras. I don't have the new sensor in yet as they had to order it. But I'm assuming this will take care of the problem. One thing to note is once the car is turned off the code for this issue will usually be lost.

He also said if your brake fluid is a tad too low and you make a big turn sometimes the lights will come on with that as well. The explination being since the Pathfinders doesn't have a brake light on the dash (like older cars used to) the VDC/SLIP has taken it's place for low fluid.

Hope this helps some people!

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:16 am

dmasini wrote:He also said if your brake fluid is a tad too low and you make a big turn sometimes the lights will come on with that as well. The explination being since the Pathfinders doesn't have a brake light on the dash (like older cars used to) the VDC/SLIP has taken it's place for low fluid.
thanks nissan... that makes perfect sense :roll:
who at nissan thought that combination made sense. oh ive got another one... if your low on washer fluid, lets make the rear dome light turn on. yeah, that sounds logical too.

~mike

kacjames

Postby kacjames » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:00 pm

Reviving an old thread , the same thing happened to me last night , I used the 4x4 sooner in the day for towing in some gravel and all went well ... Did some driving after dinner and out of nowhere the ABS , VDC and SLIP lights came on and stayed on . Tried the good old battery ground disconnect with no sucess. Drove home and saw this thread and I tried to top off the brake fluild wich was a lil bit under the FULL line . Started the car again and all the light were gone , exept for the VDC , drove approx. 1 mile and it when off , never went on again.

Dunno why the brake fluid was a lil bit low tho , the truck got 15k miles , no brake fluid at all on the ground ... Anyway everythings fine now si thats cool :)

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:54 pm

nothing to do with the trans. Any fault with the brake sys., will illuminate the lights, including low brake fluid (slosh around corners). If your dealer can't find a code, they're full of it. It all gets stored, even in past. Could also be steering angle sensor.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:37 pm

quick question when the vdc is off the abls well still be on correct? even on the 4X2 So if the slip light comes on steady does this mean theres a problem direct to the abls?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:18 am

me&pathy wrote:quick question when the vdc is off the abls well still be on correct? even on the 4X2 So if the slip light comes on steady does this mean theres a problem direct to the abls?
Correct. The only way to disable the ABLS is to pull a fuse.

markspath

Postby markspath » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:47 pm

kacjames wrote:Dunno why the brake fluid was a lil bit low tho , the truck got 15k miles , no brake fluid at all on the ground ... Anyway everythings fine now si thats cool :)
Normal brake wear will cause the fluid level to drop as the pistons in the calipers expand to make up for the thinner pads. However, unless you've got poor quality brake pads, ride the brakes or are a very aggressive driver, I wouldn't think this would be a problem in only 15k miles.

I've put 42k miles on my 2007 SE and it still has all the original pads and rotors with some life remaining. I don't recall ever adding brake fluid (though the dealer might have during one of the two times I didn't do the service myself).

Return to “R51 Electrical”