Service Engine Soon

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

AussieMatt

Service Engine Soon

Postby AussieMatt » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:13 am

Hi all,
I just bought a 98 Pathfinder with 150,000 Miles on it.
Runs really well BUT the Service Engine Soon light came on on the way to work this morning. Does this literally mean I need a service or is it more like a Check Engine Light?
It came on about 1 min after driving behind a smoking truck. Through it might be a filter issue?
I plan to pull the battery for an hour or so over the weekend and see if the light goes away and if not I guess I need to get it checked.
Anyone had any experience with this?
Thanks, Matt

KptKrunch

Postby KptKrunch » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Matt

Mine has done that twice (a 2000 SE). The first time it was fixed for free, it was a 'recall' for some reason, second time it just went away on it's own.

If the light is on all the time, it just means that the Oxygen Sensor is failing, so yes, the light probably came on from the exhaust/oil you were getting from that 'smoking' truck. It's really only an issue if the airmix is actually bad.

The second time my light came on was when I got stuck behind a combine on the highway, when I finally got a chance to go around it, I stepped on the gas and opened her up, probably got a good dose of the exhaust from the car in front of me. It took about 3 weeks but the light went out, came back on again for about week, then it has gone out and has stayed out for about 6 weeks now, so I think I'm good. If it comes on again though, I'll probably take it in.

If yours has never been replaced, and since it's a '98, I'd probably get it done anyway.

AussieMatt

Postby AussieMatt » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks for the heads up.
I actually cleaned out the air filter and reset the computer and the Engine Light has not come back on yet.

AussieMatt

Postby AussieMatt » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Spoke too soon. Light is back on. Take it in to Pep Boys on Saturday to get the codes read and may as well get a service and oil change while I'm there.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”