Intake power valve pt#14510

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

pranje

Intake power valve pt#14510

Postby pranje » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes, I know that there is allready a post for this... but it's burried a few pages back and I need input soon.

I took my 05 in because I thought it was suffering from the timing chain tentioner issue. They said they couldn't recreate noise/problem, but they did hear the serp. belt squeeling. I took one of the service managers for a ride they could hear what I took it in for. In short order they pointed to what I just found out is th INTAKE POWER VALVE. What does this do, should it give a service code if it malfuctions? Mine was making a very noticable noise around 2000-2250 RPM, in gear/ in park. Has anyone replaced one of these themselves? If so is there anything special (tools,) needed to swap?

Npath

Re: Intake power valve pt#14510

Postby Npath » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 am

pranje wrote:Yes, I know that there is allready a post for this... but it's burried a few pages back and I need input soon.

I took my 05 in because I thought it was suffering from the timing chain tentioner issue. They said they couldn't recreate noise/problem, but they did hear the serp. belt squeeling. I took one of the service managers for a ride they could hear what I took it in for. In short order they pointed to what I just found out is th INTAKE POWER VALVE. What does this do, should it give a service code if it malfuctions? Mine was making a very noticable noise around 2000-2250 RPM, in gear/ in park. Has anyone replaced one of these themselves? If so is there anything special (tools,) needed to swap?
Intake power valve...? Never heard of it nor have I heard of such a problem on 05+ Pathfinders.

Anyways, chain and tensioner will not give out a "service engine soon" message. From what you've explained, it does sound like you have the enfamous chain & tensioner issue. If possible, take it to another dealer and hear what they have to say. Get a second opinion. Visit Nissanhelp.com. There, you'll find TSB's for your model year and the chain/tensioner TSB is there. Print it out and show it to them. Last thing you need is the dealer swapping parts on ya and the problem is still there.

A note for you, chain & tensioner replacement will run you about $1500. That includes chain, tensioner a whole sh!tload of seals they replace along with engine oil and coolant. So, again, be careful that they don't start swapping parts hoping to fix your problem, cause it may cost you more than $1500!!

Try to get it fixed soon. Good luck!

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:02 pm

At first thought they must be full of it. A power valve is a part they used on carburetors to richen the mixture under load. However, I looked at the intake page at courtesyparts.com and there is a power valve with the part reference you posted. It appears to be a valve that controls the variable intake. I took a look at mine found it half way in between the throttle body and the "V6" emblem. There's a vacuum hose running to it. It seems that if that is squealing, you'd hear it pretty easy with the hood up as it is right on top of the engine.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:26 pm

There full of shit they told me that, i said fine took them on a drive they heard the noise. needed the service manager to hear they keep the truck overnight. Long story short they couldnt reproduce the noise and the shit came apart 200 miles away from home. it was the auto tensioner completely shot, and the dealer thought it was the intake valve. Replaced it under the extended warranty after calling into nissan hq. Be careful they will try to screw you.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:20 am

There's a Service Bulletin on this NTB05-015b

APPLIED VEHICLE: 2005 Pathfinder (R51)
2005 Frontier (D40) – VQ40 ONLY

APPLIED VIN: Pathfinder: vehicles built before: 5N1AR18U*5C727422
Frontier: vehicles built before: 1N6AD07W*5C410911

APPLIED DATE: Pathfinder: vehicles built before: January 7, 2005
Frontier: vehicles built before: January 11, 2005

IF YOU CONFIRM:
There is a rattle noise coming from the Variable Induction Air Control System (VIAS) Power Valve Actuator /
Intake Manifold Collector at engine speeds around 2,200 RPM.
AND
The rattle noise can be controlled (stopped and started) by using CONSULT-II to turn the VIAS S/V “ON” and
“OFF”.
NOTE: You must use CONSULT-II “Active Test” for VIAS system to confirm the rattle noise. Refer to the
Service Procedure (page 3) for the CONSULT-II procedure.
ACTION:
• Repair the Intake Manifold Collector. Refer to the Service Procedure (page 4).
• Confirm the incident is resolved by using CONSULT-II “Active Test” for VIAS system.

Basically, the power valve actuator is a plastic butterfly valve that slides into a slot in the intake manifold. It rattles in place around 2200 RPM. The fix in the TSB is to glue it in place with a 3M adhesive.

I brought it in for this, as well, knowing what it was. They told me it was the timing chaing tensioner. I didn't argue since I got a new timing chain and oil change out of the deal (warranty). I don't think it hurts anything, but the sound sure is annoying.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:01 pm

there is a power valve - very different from the holley carb idea though. it's in the intake on the passenger side. Push for a new intake if you can. The other repair is litterally gluing it in place. I've done lots without issue, but always seemed cheesy to me.

pranje

Postby pranje » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Thank you to all of you who responded so quickly. The local dealership got nissan to cover the repair of the power valve with good will. Hopefully this will take care of my problems, or it will prove that I was correct and my timing chain is on it's way out and they'll be ordering a bunch more parts! 8)

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:42 pm

your description of the noise is textbook power valve. If you don't actually hear the t-chain (which isn't a rattle) don't do it. Unless you get a really carefull tech, You'll end up with oil leaks and other issues.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:47 pm

I had this problem fixed by my dealer. Had the exact problem you described. Almost like an exhaust leak like rattling at 2200rpm. They replaced something in the intake power valve and it fixed the problem.

They did tell me that it was not a critical issue, and that not getting it fixed would not cause any problems, but it was annoying as hell for me. No problems since.

wizeguy

Postby wizeguy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:14 am

Looks like my 05 (70k miles) is doing the same... 2100 rpm, she rattles a little but getting noticeably louder...
Is this something the dealer covers under warranty or should I just do this myself?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:52 pm

If you have an extended warranty, it might be covered. As far as doing it yourself, download a copy of the service bulletin NTB05-015b and it will tell you the service procedure. Then, you will be able to access whether you are capable of doing the repair.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:10 am

SMJ999SMJ: My '08 recently started making this noise and I'm quite confident this is the problem. I don't have the Consult-II in order to turn it off but the noise and rpm is exactly as described. Beyond a minor annoyance, it doesn't seem to really be a "problem". Do any of your part sources show being able to buy the power valve actuator by itself? Looks like it only comes as part of the intake.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:36 am

skinny2 wrote:SMJ999SMJ: My '08 recently started making this noise and I'm quite confident this is the problem. I don't have the Consult-II in order to turn it off but the noise and rpm is exactly as described. Beyond a minor annoyance, it doesn't seem to really be a "problem". Do any of your part sources show being able to buy the power valve actuator by itself? Looks like it only comes as part of the intake.
The only use for Consult II is to help identify the problem. It is not needed for the repair, nor is replace the power valve assy. The problem is "supposed" to be limited to 2005 models per the TSB, which you can find in the "knowledge base" at NissanHelp.com. Use keyword "noise" when search TSB's for a 2005 Pathfinder. NTB05-15b.

If it is indeed the problem with yours, you don't need to replace the power valve, but re-glue the assy. as well instructed in the TSB; everything you need to know, including what to use and where to get them, is in the TSB.

That said, to answer your question, the power valve is Nissan P/N:
14510-EA200:

http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-li ... m=140_A001

TSB:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_li ... 0&keyid=17

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:00 pm

smj999smj wrote:
skinny2 wrote:SMJ999SMJ: My '08 recently started making this noise and I'm quite confident this is the problem. I don't have the Consult-II in order to turn it off but the noise and rpm is exactly as described. Beyond a minor annoyance, it doesn't seem to really be a "problem". Do any of your part sources show being able to buy the power valve actuator by itself? Looks like it only comes as part of the intake.
The only use for Consult II is to help identify the problem. It is not needed for the repair, nor is replace the power valve assy. The problem is "supposed" to be limited to 2005 models per the TSB, which you can find in the "knowledge base" at NissanHelp.com. Use keyword "noise" when search TSB's for a 2005 Pathfinder. NTB05-15b.

If it is indeed the problem with yours, you don't need to replace the power valve, but re-glue the assy. as well instructed in the TSB; everything you need to know, including what to use and where to get them, is in the TSB.

That said, to answer your question, the power valve is Nissan P/N:
14510-EA200:

http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-li ... m=140_A001

TSB:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_li ... 0&keyid=17
Thanks for that. I've looked at several diagrams and couldn't find it identified separately from the intake.

I've previously read the TSB and started putting together a list of the needed items. It's very specific in the instructions to only use the type of adhesive listed (3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy DP-190). So if you start pricing this stuff out, you end up with $22 for the adhesive, $7 for a nozzle, and if you don't happen to have an applicator gun (I don't) that's another $40 or so. So with shipping and everything you're over $70 for the supplies to take it apart and "glue it". Which seems a little half-assed to me anyway. The power valve actuator is $40 from your link above. Am I missing something on this? I guess it makes sense if you're a Nissan dealer and can do a dozen of these with one tube of adhesive and you own the applicator.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Since I left Nissan in 2003, I haven't done the repair per the TSB personally. Since it appears that the adhesive appears to go on the outer groove of the power valve, my question is would one have to do the same procedure if installing a new valve? Perhaps someone else on the forum can answer that?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”