Transfer case leaking ? Or toast ?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

kev1n

Transfer case leaking ? Or toast ?

Postby kev1n » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:43 pm

I was looking under that pathy and I noticed that there were a few drips on the floor near the middle of the truck. I looked and the transfer case and I notice fresh fluid drips from the entire bottom if it. Looks like a seal might have gone bad. Has anyone experience this ? Could it be something more sinistar like the transfer case going out ?I still have my powertrain warranty so I am taking it to the dealer, but I am a bit surprised that this would happen out of the blue all of a sudden. This is a full-time AWD equipped LE. I took the pictures after wiping it off, figured I could check again in the morning. But basically the area where the two parts of the case are ajoined at the bottom is where I saw the fluild built up and dripping off of. I also noticed on the front driveshaft that it is partially discolored, as if it was wet or got oil on it.

Last edited by kev1n on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Ok, I couldn't let sleeping dogs lie, so I went back again to look at and take more pictures. It looks like the leak is more like a "spray" there is fluid all over and it looks to be a radial pattern, I saw some on the underbody above the front driveshaft. So I am thinking this might be the coming from the front driveshaft where it connects to the front end of the case. any thoughts ?

How safe is it to drive with this condition ?

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:40 pm

That's where I'd guess. It would be called the front output shaft seal. You can drive it, but it's just going to get messier before if it gets replaced. Mine leaked on my old Wagoneer and I never fixed it as everything else leaked, too. Of course, make sure it's not dripping from even higher up and falling onto shaft.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 am

here's a great leakage diagnosis method:
degrease, clean, and THOROUGHLY dry the suspect area
spray white footpowder (aerosol) onto the suspect area
monitor the area carefully
if the leak is there, it will become visible as the liquid sweats out into the coating of dried powder
hope this helps..........
good luck with your search & please let us know what you find!

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:01 am

well dropped her off at teh dealer today, waiting to hear back.

somebody had mentioned that this could be caused by a clogged breather on the transfer case, anyone have a picture of this breather ? I want to take a look at that after I get the car back.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Got the truck back today, dealer replace the u-joint as well as the front seal under powertrain warranty.

Anyone know anything about the breather cap thing ?

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm

kev1n wrote:
Anyone know anything about the breather cap thing ?
Yes I do, there is a breather on the t-case that allow the t-case to breath when it gets hot. This way the heated air can excape and relieve the pressure off the seals, when you stop driving the air cools down and gets dence creating a low pressure and allows the air to come back in. If the breather is clogged up the heated air expands and the case becomes pressurized. The pressure then finds the weakest link (seals) and pushes the fluid out.

Did this help?

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks , that clears it up. Any idea where the breAther is? I spent a half hour under the truck looking for it could not find it though

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:37 pm

I haven't seen the one on the PF personally, but the breather is usually on the top of the case. It is usually a little tube, maybe 5/16 or so. If Nissan did it right, then they put a hose on the tube that runs high into to the engine compartment so no water gets in during deep water crossings.

Like I said, I haven't spied it on the PF myself, but you may want to crawl under there with a small mirror so you can see the top of the t-case and see what you find.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:32 pm

I've have not looked as well. On my other 4x4 they used a vaccum line from the brake booster. it kept a neg pressure on the t-case. (chevy) If I remember right I think I saw a line on the drivers side with a filter top on it. I will have to look

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”