Pathfinder 2006 Excessive Fuel Consumption?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

alecsey

Pathfinder 2006 Excessive Fuel Consumption?

Postby alecsey » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:16 pm

Hello,

I just bought this 2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4L v6 4WD. I love the truck except for it's fuel consumption, which seems a lot higher than on paper. No matter how smoothly and carefully I drive the car, it goes about 9.3 - 11mpg in New York City traffic. Meanwhile on highway I achieve 20-21mpg.

Is there anything I can do to improve city mpg? thanks!

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:15 am

unfortunately no. you have to remember that it takes alot to move such a heavy vehicle, exspecially a 4wd one. around town you are trying to move pretty much a box on wheels in and out of traffic. the tranny is upshifting and down shifting alot in traffic that makes it burn more fuel. for city traffic like new york has if fuel is your main concern you will need to get a prius because that's where it performs best. any suv or midsize sedan will get bad mpg in new york city grid lock traffic. on they highway your pretty much in the high gear constantly so the fuel consumption is reasonable. i get 15-16 mpg in florida where the traffic is not as bad as other places.
Last edited by JAHBLESSINGS on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

alecsey

Nissan Pathfinder excessive fuel consumption

Postby alecsey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:57 pm

My situation is like yours. I drive pathfinder 06 le every day from brooklyn to manhattan on bqe and drive in manhattan a lot. As of last month I used to get 12.5-13mpg exclusively in manhattan (I was resetting odometer all the time) I used to get 22-23 mpg on highway unless there was strong headwinds.

3 weeks ago idiots at bay ridge nissan reprogrammed ecm (engine control module) while ignoring the fact that my car had faulty bank 1 sensor 1 air/fuel ration sensor at the time of reprogramming.

I've replaced sensor since then but now I cannot get mpg above 10.4 in manhattan no matter what. I get 21mpg on highway. So I guess I will have to take my car to dealer to reprogram ecm again. Hopefully it will improve mpg.

I also noticed that turning ventilation / ac off will give additional 2mpg.

miyata_kira

Postby miyata_kira » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:02 pm

same situation with me. actually i am asking some of the new york auto repair mechanics if there's a way on how to improve the mpg, but they keep on telling me that there's a way however there are some disadvantage. so i did not bother in upgrading the mpg.

fresnoDave

Postby fresnoDave » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:17 am

I drive an 06 2wd. I get 16-17mpg city and 21-22 highway.

95XE_PATHFINDER

Postby 95XE_PATHFINDER » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Actually yes there is a way to boast mpg buy a k&n air filter, change or soak your plugs in break cleaner for about 30 mins then let dry, also throw some sea foam into your gas tank (autozone) this will clean out all the build up in your injectors.. You can also apply sea foam into your vacuum line and your throttle body to achieve more power and mpg.

95XE_PATHFINDER

Postby 95XE_PATHFINDER » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:05 pm

95XE_PATHFINDER wrote:Actually yes there is a way to boast mpg buy a k&n air filter, change or soak your plugs in break cleaner for about 30 mins then let dry, also throw some sea foam into your gas tank (autozone) this will clean out all the build up in your injectors.. You can also apply sea foam into your vacuum line and your throttle body to achieve more power and mpg.
I've gone from 15-20 mpg and 25 ish high way

Return to “General Automotive”