so i cleaned the mass air flow sensor

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

me&pathy

so i cleaned the mass air flow sensor

Postby me&pathy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 pm

My 06 has 42k on it pulled the maf yesterday and cleaned it, the truck runs better now the idle is much smoother and it dosent hesitate under full throttle. I would recommend this if your pathfinder is starting to feel lazy. Cleaning it was extremely easy and took only like 10 minutes. If you clean it just remember to use a maf cleaner only and do not touch it with anything other than the cleaner.

CRK

Postby CRK » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:56 am

Sounds like I may have to do the same... Mine has a rough idle, its not bad, but it is not as smooth as it could be :wink:

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:10 am

there a pretty big difference it feels good when you wind it out and when you let of at the top of second it holds the gear it nice.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: so i cleaned the mass air flow sensor

Postby eieio » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:34 pm

me&pathy wrote:My 06 has 42k on it pulled the maf yesterday and cleaned it, the truck runs better now the idle is much smoother and it dosent hesitate under full throttle. I would recommend this if your pathfinder is starting to feel lazy. Cleaning it was extremely easy and took only like 10 minutes. If you clean it just remember to use a maf cleaner only and do not touch it with anything other than the cleaner.
how'd it get dirty?

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:16 am

dryart wrote:how'd it get dirty?
dirt will by any air filter... no filter is perfect. (or he didnt change the filter often enough :? )

~mike

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:52 am

MonkeyMike wrote:
dryart wrote:how'd it get dirty?
dirt will by any air filter... no filter is perfect. (or he didnt change the filter often enough :? )

~mike
in the motorcycle industry, i've seen a lot of dirty intake ducts that were contaminated by oily residue attracting dirt, after the OEM paper elements were replaced with aftermarket filters with oiled filtering materials.
i'm adamant about using OEM filters!
interesting too, is how inexpensive OEM R51 air filters are, and how easy they are to change :).

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:48 pm

That's exactly why I switched back to OEM paper from my K&N drop in, worried about oil carryover onto the MAF sensor as well as particulate bypass.

I'm at 62k miles and no hint of hesitation or rough idle whatsoever.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:09 pm

i also did this and cleaned everything out. just a bit of warning it is advised not to do this. this has the tendency to make your check engine light come on due to the cleaning. then u have to take it to t dealer and dealer only to have the car reset and the high idle rest or you can try to manually do it yourself but its not the easiest thing in the world to do. lets just say i wont be doing this myself again. the light didn't come on until about 2 weeks after i cleaned it. so again this is a known thing to happen with our cars so clean with extreme caution

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:30 pm

so now i'm really curious.....
were those of you with dirty MAF sensors or throttle bodies using aftermarket oiled air filters?

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:18 am

i was not. the air filer will always let some dirt in. and after some time. in my case 3 years the small amount built up like anything gets dirty over time and i cleaned it. theats when my light came on. if you just remove the intake and swipe your finger in there or a rag your going to see the dirt

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:21 am

heres the post i created when i had my issues

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2503

theres a nissan tech that posted in there that has some good advice

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:33 am

I always thought the MAF was self cleaning, at least it use to be in the mid 80's Nissans. The way it worked is when you shut the car off and it is not restarted within a pre-determined amount of minutes the element inside the MAF will heat up to a high degree temperature and thus burning up any dust or debri that may have adhered to it. Nowhere in the manual is stated to clean the MAF every so often. Cabn anyone confirm if this is true for the newer models?

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:53 pm

ive never heard of this but i dont think it is true because when i cleaned my it was pretty dirty

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm

cruzstyle wrote:i also did this and cleaned everything out. just a bit of warning it is advised not to do this. this has the tendency to make your check engine light come on due to the cleaning. then u have to take it to t dealer and dealer only to have the car reset and the high idle rest or you can try to manually do it yourself but its not the easiest thing in the world to do. lets just say i wont be doing this myself again. the light didn't come on until about 2 weeks after i cleaned it. so again this is a known thing to happen with our cars so clean with extreme caution
thats why you disconnect the battery and after cleaning make sure its dry re install and then re connect the battery 8)

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:23 pm

o im running a drop in k&n filter i live in California's central valley we have some of the worst air quality, it dosent help that i flog the pathfinder every time i drive it though. But still cleaning the maf every 30k is best and it keeps things responsive and preventive maintenance never killed anyone.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”