TPMS SENSOR WILL NOT SCAN.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

KEVSTER

TPMS SENSOR WILL NOT SCAN.

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:56 am

OK, after getting new tires on 10-31-09 the driver rear seems to lose some air pressure usually 5 psi a week, so the TPMS light came on, so I checked the onboard tire system the other 3 tires show 42psi, the driver rear shows X, so I took the vehicle into the tire shop I purchased tires from and the manager scanned the sensor through the tire and it will NOT scan. the other 3 sensors DO scan.. so what the heck? that rear wheel sensor took a DUMP. :x must be the battery/electronic circuit board. I could try and have Nissan warranty sensor but I believe this would be a fight, Nissan can say you changed tires so the tire installer could have dropped sensor. Now the tire dealer checked and has a new sensor on order for me at a cost of 65.00 not bad, so I pick up the tab. I asked about having all sensors removed from wheels and using the regular rubber stem and they said some people do this, this would cost me 56.00 which includes rebalancing 4 wheels. I know the light may be on all the time. I can hardly see light anyways due to where it is located. Tire dealer can remove sensors and install rubber valve stems, they just cannot turn the light off for them to be legal. :arrow: Also the spare tire has the regular rubber stem, he and I verified this. NO SENSOR on spare tire from Nissan.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:44 am

that sucks. TPMS has saved my bacon twice now at highway speed. You can catch the low (or no) pressure before damage to the tire occurs.

They don't need to pull all the tires off, just the one with defective sensor. You're lucky, that sensor here in canada is at least $100. I say get it fixed.

And try Nissan, it never hurts to ask if you are still on warranty. Did you change rims? If not i doubt they could deny unless they found physical damage. And if thats the case, go after the tire dealer.

t

Npath

Re: TPMS SENSOR WILL NOT SCAN.

Postby Npath » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:31 pm

KEVSTER wrote:OK, after getting new tires on 10-31-09 the driver rear seems to lose some air pressure usually 5 psi a week, so the TPMS light came on, so I checked the onboard tire system the other 3 tires show 42psi, the driver rear shows X, so I took the vehicle into the tire shop I purchased tires from and the manager scanned the sensor through the tire and it will NOT scan.
Is it possible whoever re and re'd your tires damaged the sensor?

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Yes, the possibility is there, except... I have driven the vehicle at least 400-500 miles since the install. So... :wink: I decided to get new wheels, I ordered them today KMC ADDICT in black matt, 17x9 and I am not installing the TPMS sensors. I am not a fan of TPMS. My choice. The oem wheels will be fitted with winter tires with studs, not sure if this year, but for sure next year.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm with Npath - If you're not carefull about where the sensor is when you break the bead or when you actually take the tire bead on/off the rim, you can crush the sensor - you may also want to check around the nut for leaks, the seal is on the sensor side and when the thing gets crushed or bent, the seals leak.

If you decide to not replace the TPMS sensor (which i think you should), why remove the other 3? they arent't doing any harm, and the light will be on anyway.

In any case, i think you should be able to warranty that. Just go in and be nice...I've found ppl lately have been finding info on the web and then going into dealers ready to fight and argue, or don't go in at all because they don't want a fight. If you go in, pay for an oil change or something and ask nice - it's probrably slow this time of year anyway....

bigmankz

Postby bigmankz » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:27 pm

I really don't get it why would one NOT want to have TPMS ? This system saved me couple of time on mountain trails with around 100 mile to the nearest tire fixing joint. I had a puncture in two tires and fixed them on car with a rubber wire. Pumped the tires with compressor and went further. Without TPMS system I would probably drove untill the tire dismounted from the rim which would a be a disaster. If I ever buy a car without this system I will definately install an aftermarket one.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:51 am

bigmankz wrote:I really don't get it why would one NOT want to have TPMS ? This system saved me couple of time on mountain trails with around 100 mile to the nearest tire fixing joint. I had a puncture in two tires and fixed them on car with a rubber wire. Pumped the tires with compressor and went further. Without TPMS system I would probably drove untill the tire dismounted from the rim which would a be a disaster. If I ever buy a car without this system I will definately install an aftermarket one.
I agree, this system has saved me at least $500 in a year and a half by alerting me before the tire was too damaged to repair. The only down side to TPMS that I can see is that it makes it more expensive to change tires. However, at the right tire dealer and with the proper care, I think that cost is limited to $20-25 per tire.

I also used to hate ABS, now with the pathy I don't see how I could live without it (and the ABLS for the rear wheels). Personal preference, I do respect that. However, I am having a hard time seeing this one. (He hasn't given any good reasons for not liking it either).

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:31 pm

I have been driving for 32yrs, and I have never had a problem with tires. I check tire air pressure at least 2 times a month. Since this sensor has gone bad and the light came on I have done alot of research on the internet and also in Club Frontier. I have concluded the TPMS is more of a pain in the ass than it is worth (to me anyways) Seems the Tpms sensors are just to sensitive and delicate to air temperatures, road texture, etc... I will drive the Pathy with all 4 sensors removed and I can always have sensors reinstalled if I change my mind,which I seriously doubt. I can see how the TPMS would be a safety item but more so for drivers who do not pay attention to regular maintenance.. I am not in anyway looking for argument from anyone.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:54 pm

i'm sure if you check your tires as often as you do, you'll be fine. I'd say most ppl, myself included don't check twice a month. I think it's handy when you pick up a nail somewhere and continuing along on a road/path where you might not be able to notice the difference right away....to each his own.....i'd personally fix it just so i don't have to stare at that stupid light. As for sensitivity, i wouldn't say they're any more sensitive that your actual tire pressure. Yeah if you set it to 30psi after drive all day and getting gas, over night they'll cool off and set a light, but that's an accurate indicator. If you decide to ditch them, you could prob. sell them on the forum to the rest of us!

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:54 pm

Ok, wierd thing, today driving home the light went off, so that means the sensor is working.. what could have happened,..? did the cold weather mess with it? air temps are up now into the 40's.. from the teens. Or was something jarred back into place and now makes contact, there is a battery and a microprocessor board sealed inside the TPMS sensor. I get the new wheels on wed, so I am still unsure what to do? this is why I am not a fan of TPMS..

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:45 am

prob. wasn't ever faulty - the temp change corresponds to a pressure change inside your tire, coulda been as simple as it was registering, but actually low. The factory scanner has data monitor in KPa, so you can prevent this. Air em up to 32/34 and drive on!

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:17 pm

New Addict KMC wheels are on as of today, and I like them. I did not install sensors. so far very happy. The wheels are made in China, but just about everything is made overseas.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”