Intermittent Reverse Issue

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

airborneranger

Intermittent Reverse Issue

Postby airborneranger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 pm

I was backing up (in reverse) up a small incline, all of a sudden it was like the car was in neutral and the car rolled forward. It seldom happens but it happens and doesn't seem right. Anyone ever experience this or know what the problem is?

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Hmmm, definately not right. BIG safety issue there. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. You didn't mention what year, so I'm not sure if its still under warranty.

If they give you the "cannot recreate the problem" run-around and refuse to fix it, be sure to tell them you fully intend to file a lawsuit if the problem results in an accident.

airborneranger

Postby airborneranger » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:51 pm

It's a 2005 2WD SE. I bought it used and it only had a 36K warranty. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow for a tranny drain/refill and will bring up the issue with them.

08 pathy

Postby 08 pathy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:27 pm

airborneranger wrote:It's a 2005 2WD SE. I bought it used and it only had a 36K warranty. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow for a tranny drain/refill and will bring up the issue with them.
But you have a powertrain warranty till 60k... :wink:

airborneranger

Postby airborneranger » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:43 pm

And I have 71000 miles :cry:

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:09 am

when backing up did you let off the accelerator completly and not use the brake pedal? if so,, yes the vehicle will roll forward., mine does this for the engine idle speed is not sufficient enough to make the correct trans pressure to keep pathy still.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Intermittent Reverse Issue

Postby disallow » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:22 am

airborneranger wrote:I was backing up (in reverse) up a small incline, all of a sudden it was like the car was in neutral and the car rolled forward. It seldom happens but it happens and doesn't seem right. Anyone ever experience this or know what the problem is?
I think this happened to me yesterday in my pathy.

Was straightening out in a parking spot (backing out) and suddenly my wife yelled STOP. I slammed on the brakes and some guy whizzed by behind me. I couldn't see him before that due to the vehicle beside me.

Anyways, after I slammed on the brakes, the truck wouldn't move.

I suspected that in my panic to stop quickly, I must have hit the shifter towards neutral, perhaps knocking it partially out of gear. Put it in park and back into reverse, and it worked fine.

Now that I read your post, I wonder if the problems are deeper? CRAP!

I did bypass my trans cooler, and there was no evidence of coolant in my trans fluid.

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”