2007 path i'm thinking of purchasing

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

webmastir

2007 path i'm thinking of purchasing

Postby webmastir » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:21 pm

if i've learned anything of owning my Acura TL over the years, it is to become involved in online communities like these.

anyway, here's my question... please chime in with your opinions

my wife needs a new vehicle ASAP. we've become really attracted to pathfinders lately. they seem to be, for the most part, fairly stable/dependable SUVs from the reviews we've been reading.

We're looking at this used SUV from a dealership that is a 2007 with 85,000
yes i know, "wtf 07 with 85k miles, are you nuts?!?" it's listed around 15.5k$, i'm sure we can get it for 14k$.

it's in great condition, surprisingly. some guy just used it daily to travel a few hundred miles a day. it's only had 1 owner & the carfax is clean as a whistle. how much is that big maintenance that's usually due around 105k miles on these vehicles? i know on my acura you pay around 800 for timing belt, water pump, drive belts etc. so im just wondering if it's the same or possibly a little less.

interested to see what you guys say once you get over someone putting that many miles in a little over 2.5years

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:31 pm

I say DON'T do it. too many miles, even at $14,000.00 something major could go wrong, Tranny failure maybe later, engine probs later, I am just not a person to buy a vehicle with alot of miles.. I would go for a new model like the S model, or just keep looking for a used one with like 20-40,000 miles. If you could get it for say 10-12 grand.. that would be better.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:35 pm

ok. we're going to look at some older models with less miles tomorrow. 05/06s with 40-60k miles. thanks for your input man. that was my initial thoughts too. the 1 owner + clean carfax attracted me some. thought getting some opinions might help reassuring me to not go for it.

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:36 pm

my vote is to get something newer....2005/2006 could still be out of drivetrain warranty depending on the in-service date. (5yr/60k Mi) -
t-chain, trans-cooler, drive shafts, etc.. Also, depending on the trim level, not all years are equipped quite the same (back-up cameras, etc.). You COULD do the one you were looking at, but i'd maybe pay closer to they're asking for it, and ask them to include an aftermarket warranty.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:13 pm

thanks Tech! 8)

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Welp, I will now be on these forums a hell of a lot more now. I just purchased a 2006 Pathfinder SE. 85k miles. 1 owner. had maintenance records of oil changes/maint. service done to it, etc. good price.

:D

how are the DIY on these forums?

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Congratulations. There's a lot of DIYers here. If you haven't already noticed, there a sticky at the top of the forum with the 2006 factory service manual.

BMXPath

Re: 2007 path i'm thinking of purchasing

Postby BMXPath » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:46 pm

webmastir wrote: ...interested to see what you guys say once you get over someone putting that many miles in a little over 2.5years
No big deal, when it is maintained well. I have put over 90,000 miles on mine since purchasing it in Sept of '06.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:51 pm

webmastir wrote: I just purchased a 2006 Pathfinder SE. 85k miles.
Let's see some pics!!!

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:03 pm

BMXPath wrote:
webmastir wrote: I just purchased a 2006 Pathfinder SE. 85k miles.
Let's see some pics!!!

i haven't read much on it, but what kind of service does our timing chains need? my drive belt is in need of being replaced. i've downloaded the service manual for the 06 path. i wonder how hard it'll be if i try & do the drive belt replacement myself :?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Nice looking path, they did a great job detailing it!

Looks like your back end could use the airlift 1000, best $80 you ever spent. But does beg the question as to whether its ever been used to tow. I would make sure to have the transmission, differential(s) fluid changed ASAP for sure, and transfer case if its a 4wd (which I didn't see you mention, I'm assuming it is based on the price you paid). The reason for the airlift is that these trucks are known for weak rear springs, due to the independent rear suspension.

The timing chain is fine, until it starts to make noise. Then there is a TSB that the dealer has, basically replaces the whole timing chain, tensioner and some other junk. Some on this forum have had it happen, some haven't. I haven't seen it yet on my 05, and it has 85k mi on it.

See this post for details:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2384

If your even remotely handy, the drivebelt should be no prob.

Welcome!

t

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:34 am

thanks disallow. yes i can do some things. i've never worked on nissan's though. so it'll be a switch to see how they setup things differently. i plan on switching oil over to synthetic when i do my 1st change on this vehicle.
these vehicles operate OK or better when switching to full synthetic?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 am

webmastir wrote:thanks disallow. yes i can do some things. i've never worked on nissan's though. so it'll be a switch to see how they setup things differently. i plan on switching oil over to synthetic when i do my 1st change on this vehicle.
these vehicles operate OK or better when switching to full synthetic?
I use synthetic, either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec. I don't think there is a big difference, but it sure feels better when I think that I'm using a higher quality lubricant. :)

Tech

Postby Tech » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 am

Congrats man! looks good! Don't stress man, just enjoy! Lot's of ppl have had there trucks for lots of miles with no probs at all, but no one joins a forum just to say how problem free things have been....enjoy!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”