Check Engine Light - Knock Sensor?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

JC

Check Engine Light - Knock Sensor?

Postby JC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 am

My mechanic ran a diagnostic on my Check Engine light. He said it was coming from the knock sensor, but since the vehicle seems to run fine ('97 w/ 120,000 miles), he suggested I leave it be (bunch of labor involved since you have to take off the manifold to access the sensor). I tried disconnecting the battery to reset it but it didn't work. Any ideas on what it might be? Any way to turn off the light w/o accessing the sensor itself? Thanks.

jonnyg83

Postby jonnyg83 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 am

Do you know what the actual code is?

You can reset it with a scan tool, but the light will only stay off until the sensor sends a bad signal again, which will in turn trip the computer. If you reset it and it comes right back, odds are good the sensor is toast. Less common would be either a wiring open or short circuit.

Depending on what state you live in, you probably won't pass your next inspection/emissions check if the light is on. Just something to be aware of.

JC

Postby JC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 am

No, don't know the actual code. I could probably run over to the mechanic's and find out, but I live in Michigan and don't have to put the vehicle through an emissions test. Online I can get a replacement sensor for about $80. Any idea how long it would take to remove the manifold and replace the sensor? Thanks for the help.

jonnyg83

Postby jonnyg83 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 am

I've never done it, so I can't say.

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 am

It's not your knock sensor. If your check engine light is on, there is another code in addition to the knock sensor, that he's not telling you. The majority of VG's on the road have the p0340 (or whatever). It doesn't turn the light on. Have someone else check or be there when he does.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”