suspension discussion

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

CoGraW

suspension discussion

Postby CoGraW » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi everyone!
I have a 2000 LE, and I think the ride is getting rough.
At what point do you consider replacing suspension parts?
In which order is it done? (I mean, are the shocks more likely to give out before the springs do)
I realize that noone can diagnose a problem from an online description but I would like to have a general conversation about suspension parts, how long they last with moderate wear and tear,etc.
Has anyone replaced suspension parts?

thanks in advance
Cograw

mderick

Postby mderick » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 pm

My ride was also getting rough.
I just got my 2000 Pathfinder back today.
I installed:
KYB Struts
Old man EMU Springs (OME) all round
OME rear Shocks
New Strut mounts and bearing.

When the struts were taken out one was completely shot, and one spring was also broken. I had had it in to be looked at for a shake in the front and they were not able to see the broken spring.

it drives like a new Pathfinder now, and has an additional inch or so of height.

D3COY

Postby D3COY » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Yeah a ride like that means you should replace the shocks.

And yes the shocks and struts will usually wear out before the springs do.

Nighter-cdn

mderick : front end shake

Postby Nighter-cdn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 am

Hey Mderick,

You mention front end shake, was it just a slight vibration in the steering wheel?

I have a slight shake in the steering wheel now, the tires were just re-balanced..... not exactly sure what is causing it.

I suppose the next step is alignment and then maybe look at struts / springs as you mentioned. Mine is an 04 with just over 80,000 km

mderick

Postby mderick » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi:
I think that I had a couple of issues. My largest vibration would start when taking a corner and it was quite pronounced. This was due to the suspension issues.
I too had a slight ongoing vibration that I am sure were the tires, that I had balanced and rotated.
If your vibration goes away at about 105 km/hr then I beleive it would be tire balance. Typically tires that are a little out of balance produce a vibration at around 90 to 100km/hr, then it smooths out.

CoGraW

thanks guys!

Postby CoGraW » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 am

man this is great. I want to post another discussion on how to replace the struts, etc.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”