FREE FUEL LEVEL SENDERS

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:20 pm

Here is the post on Nissan's site. Also has a contact listed at the bottom. We should all be calling this guy Scott.
http://www.nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?id=1208&mid=1
03.02.2010 , FRANKLIN, Tenn.
NISSAN ISSUES VOLUNTARY RECALLS ON SELECTED VEHICLES TO CHECK BRAKE PINS AND CORRECT FUEL GAUGE INACCURACIES

Nissan North America (NNA) today announced recalls to inspect and, if necessary, repair brake pedal pins and fuel-gauge components on certain trucks and minivans. No accidents or injuries have been reported with these issues.

“At Nissan, we’re committed to the safety and satisfaction of our customers. We regret any inconveniences that our customers may experience as we take these precautions,” said Kevin Martin, vice president of Total Customer Satisfaction for NNA.

These recall campaigns involve a total of 539,864 vehicles, a majority of which are in the United States.

REASON FOR THE RECALLS
There have been three reported instances of brake pedal pins partially disengaging, causing a loss of normal braking ability, and Nissan has determined that a manufacturing error on the part of the supplier is at the root of this issue. All vehicles currently on sale are free of this problem.

Unrelated to the brake-pin issue, vehicles at higher mileage levels may have fuel gauges which incorrectly indicate the amount of fuel in the tank. This may result in the vehicle running out of fuel while the gauge reads greater than empty. All vehicles currently on sale are free of this problem.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
Models and numbers of vehicles with potentially affected brake pedal pins are:

•2008 through 2010 model year Nissan Titan, Armada, Quest and Infiniti QX56
•178,916 in the U.S., 25,869 outside the U.S. (see box for locations)

Models and numbers of vehicles with potential fuel gauges inaccuracies are:

•2005 through 2008 model year Nissan Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56
•Nissan Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra produced between January and March 2006 and between October 2007 and January 2008
•418,865 in the U.S., 53,253 outside the U.S. (see box for locations)

WHAT OWNERS OF POTENTIALLY AFFECTED VEHICLES SHOULD DO
Beginning in March, owners of potentially affected vehicles in the brake pedal pin recall are being notified to bring their vehicles to a Nissan or Infiniti dealership for a quick, simple, visual inspection and, if necessary, repair.

Also beginning in March, owners of potentially affected vehicles under the recalls for fuel gauge inaccuracies will be notified as to when they should bring their vehicles to their dealers for repair. Until their fuel gauge senders are repaired, customers with potentially affected vehicles are encouraged to maintain a fuel level of at least a half-tank.

Customers with questions are encouraged to contact Consumer Affairs at 1-800-NISSAN1 (1-800-647-7261) for Nissan vehicles, or 1-800-662-6200 for Infiniti vehicles. Customers may also contact their respective authorized Nissan or Infiniti dealers.

LOCATIONS OF POTENTIALLY AFFECTED VEHICLES:

<<<<<<<<Table>>>>>>>>>>>

NISSAN NORTH AMERICA
In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive design, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. Nissan is dedicated to improving the environment under the Nissan Green Program 2010, whose key priorities are reducing CO2 emissions, cutting other emissions and increasing recycling. More information on Nissan in North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at www.NissanUSA.com and www.infinitiUSA.com.

Scott Stevens
Nissan Americas
[email protected]
615-725-5025
www.nissan-zeroemission.com

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:07 pm

we'll see. The thing isn't even finalized yet. In the end 05 will be included i'm sure.

as for sept 05 production, i believe that is still 06 model year - so you should be good.

NISLO

Postby NISLO » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 pm

we have had a technical service bulletin out on the fuel level sensor for awhile now. It includes 2005 and as for the newer vehicles 08-10 how are they still an issue when the bulletin was made before their production. I have seen one fuel level sensor issue on the Titan Armada platform and countless one on the path, frontier, and xterra. The issue with the Titan and Armada senders is news to me.

Looks like I am going to have some recalls to make money on! Dropping the tank on our trucks and putting a sender in takes like 10 mins.

johnathanromero

Postby johnathanromero » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 pm

What BS...I literally just had my fuel level sending unit replaced YESTERDAY, the day the recall came out, but ironically my 2005 Pathfinder does not fall into this recall! BS!!

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:46 am

G35TR,

I like your idea about contacting Scott Stevens at Nissan.

Doesnt make sense to exclude the '05, especially since '05 is the first year of the R51. It is notorius for the 1st year of a new model to have some problems, with almost any manufacturer.
Maybe Nissan is trying to avoid all the 05's due to the age and potential high mileage.

ajaynsx

Postby ajaynsx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:23 am

BMXPath wrote:G35TR,

I like your idea about contacting Scott Stevens at Nissan.

Doesnt make sense to exclude the '05, especially since '05 is the first year of the R51. It is notorius for the 1st year of a new model to have some problems, with almost any manufacturer.
Maybe Nissan is trying to avoid all the 05's due to the age and potential high mileage.

Contact the US Goverment and get the balling rolling..

I paid $1500.00 to get my fuel issue fixed.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Well oddly enough, it doesn't seem to just exclude 05 models. Based on what does qualify, very few R51's actually make the list.

In the past 5 years of R51 production, on 7 months worth of production are included??? Something seems odd.

Johnny05Finder

Postby Johnny05Finder » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Well to follow up I called and sent a very tasteful email to Scott Stevens at Nissan. I got a call back about an hour or so later from a lady who works in the Nissan Consumer Affairs office. She has assigned my problem a case number. Since I haven't officially had Nissan diagnose the problem I have to do that first. She said once I have had it diagnosed by Nissan it can be linked to my case number and a regional rep will be able to assist me moving forward.

The lady sounded really nice over the phone and understood my frustration with the problem and truly sounded like she was there to help get things resolved. We will have to see how things go from here.

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:12 pm

don't worry guys...the first bunch from every dealer will be collected and examined as with most recalls and the recall likely revised. Data is needed on production batches etc. Unit production and individual part production doesn't always coincide, so the ranges will likely be expanded (to include 05).

I'll say this....the updated part anyone who's done theirs is not the "updated for recall" part, which won't be available for a month or so!

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:16 pm

I paid 350.00 in Oct of 09 and have had it back 7 times to still be unresolved. I really hope i can get my money back.

Thank you to all who have called Nissan USA for this. If it wasnt for all of us calling or sending in E-mails after e-mails they wouldnt have gotten the message.

markspath

Postby markspath » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:14 pm

2006R51MD wrote:I read this earlier too. I purchased a 2006 SE used last month. Will they cover my Path since I purchased it used?
My understanding is that a recall must be performed for free regardless of whether you're the original owner or warranty/service status.

markspath

Postby markspath » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Johnny05Finder wrote:I told her that I knew plenty of people with a 2005 that have had the same problem. She said I'd have to take it up with Nissan USA. I say we need to all band together to get this taken care of. I'm about to call Nissan USA to see what I can get out of them.
ByPath wrote:I have same problem as well, call them back and tell them there is a list of 2005 owners who have same problem.

and if they don't cover tell to put it on paper and contact nissan corporate.
Johnny05Finder wrote:I just tried to contact my service dealer as my car is doing what is described, they said that the 2005 Pathfinder isn't eligible. I think this is BS as my car is doing the exact thing this is describing. I put in 19 gallons of gas today and before putting gas in my gauge read half full. Ridiculous.
I hate to sound cynical, but you're going about this the wrong way, and the auto manufacturer's rely on customers to act in this predictable manner.

Forums like this can be a tremendous political tool for helping owners avoid situations like occurred with Toyota. If the manufacturer is not willing to voluntarily issue a TSB and fix the defect, and there is clear evidence of a widespread problem that affects vehicle safety, you should report each and every occurrence to the NTSB and also start a registry of affected owners. The only downside is if the defect doesn't affect vehicle safety, the NTSB is unlikely to consider any action. One can reasonably argue that unexpectedly running out of gas in various situations can present a significant risk to life and property.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Let's be sure to not overlook this link from Citicopes' post from the "Nissan will recall 540,000 vehicles" thread.
This could be very significant!
In my mind, this implies that there may be more than one issue causing the fuel level guage problems. Those with a non-defective fuel tank and
a level guage problem may not be affected by this campaign! :o

Citcope
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link for the Fuel issue some of us here are having.

http://NHTHQNWWS111.ODI.NHTSA.DOT.GOV/a ... 5-6094.pdf

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:52 pm

dryart, I think you're spot on. Apparently the recall IS NOT for defective sender units, like what most us are experiancing. Rather, the recalled vehicles suffer from defective fuel tanks. The fix just happens to be a change (adjustment) to the fuel senders float sensor arm.

My actual problem appears to be that the sensor cannot make a calculation when the fuel tank is full (>7/8th). When it is full, the gauge shows empty, with the "---------" flashing. Once I get below 7/8 full, it appears to then "understand" the signal and adjusts to the correct level. I'm assuming the sensor is sending voltage readings that are "out of spec" range, thus the faulty reading. This would explain why it is also triggering the fault codes. I would bet that if I were to only fill the tank up 1/2 full on my next 3-4 gas station visits, my SES light would go out, and all would appear normal (at least until I actually topped it back off). The light did actually go out on it's own once, but I don't remember now if I didn't top the tank off around that time.

Facevedo17

Postby Facevedo17 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:41 pm

I too have this problem suck but learn to live with it I also have an extended warranty so that should cover it I need to find out more but they should include 05

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”