Standard, Cold or Hot ?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

twinblown

Standard, Cold or Hot ?

Postby twinblown » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:48 am

I notice the service manual calls for 3 possible spark plugs for the Pathy.
The Standard for normal driving conditions.

The Hot is suitable when fouling occurs with the standard and driving conditions are frequent engine starts and low ambient temperatures.

The Cold is suitable when spark knock occurs with the standard and driving conditions are extended highway driving and frequent high engine revs.

Would I benefit from a Cold plug? it's hot as hell down here but i don't do high engine revs. Any inputs please post.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 pm

I would stay with STANDARD ..

yarilo

Postby yarilo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:44 am

Why don't you buy simply good, expensive spark-plugs? NHK Iridium or something like this.

Npath

Postby Npath » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:22 pm

yarilo wrote:Why don't you buy simply good, expensive spark-plugs? NHK Iridium or something like this.
Waste of money. I know as my in law was in the automotive parts business.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:35 am

I am not asking if I need to buy expensive or cheap plugs :roll: I want to stick with the platinum type (stock). My question is if I would benefit from a cold plug or not.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:53 am

twinblown wrote:I am not asking if I need to buy expensive or cheap plugs :roll: I want to stick with the platinum type (stock). My question is if I would benefit from a cold plug or not.
you should use standard plugs unless you are experiencing spark knock during extended highway driving and/or frequent high engine revolutions.
too cold a spark plug may have disadvantages under some circumstances.
spark knock can also be caused by poor fuel quality, or insufficient octane level.
i would not change spark plug heat range to reduce spark knock, if the fuel was causing the symptom.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 am

Npath wrote:
yarilo wrote:Why don't you buy simply good, expensive spark-plugs? NHK Iridium or something like this.
Waste of money. I know as my in law was in the automotive parts business.
"Waste of money"?
sorry, i disagree.........
the use of non-recommended spark plugs may result in expenses far in excess of the savings involved :shock: .
i, for one, would not take that chance.
recommended NGK PLFR5A-11 spark plugs can be purchased for less than $10.00 each - not an exorbitant price for such an important component.

yarilo

Postby yarilo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Don't know guys - what are you talking about but I've changed spark plugs on my wife's car and it works! MPG increased a bit and torque increased on lows. Also, she driving a lot and we do not need to change them for a long time - so, no waste of money.

BTW, it's your choice...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”