EBC Brake job

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

boogyman

EBC Brake job

Postby boogyman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:39 am

Well I'm sorry ahead of time for no pictures, but most of you know what brakes look like. Plus it's kind of long. I had ordered new EBC Ultimax slot rotors and green stuff pads from autoanything. I have 63k on the Pathy and figured it was time, especially since I know I had a slightly warped rotor.

When I got the rotors out of the box, they were a thing of beauty with the black coloring. The green pads are a little goofy, but they work very well. Installation was an effort of brute force on the front end. The rear brakes were fairly easy with a 1/2" breaker bar and impact 17mm socket and swivel. The caliper came off and could be stored on top of the knuckle while you replace the rotor. It happened to be about 50 degrees outside, so it was a perfect day to get it done. It all went together without problem. Then the front brakes took major force to break the caliper bracket free. The 19mm bolts took a 1/2' breaker bar and 4 foot pipe to break loose. Then a few good swings with a rubber mallet set the rotor free. After doing the drivers side first the passenger side was just a matter of repeating the steps.

Definite recommendations are jack stands, impact sockets, impact swivel, 1/2" breaker bar and a 4' pipe to go over it. My crap impact wrench was no match for the torque the front needed. The breaker bar was actually bent a little by the time I was done. Now I don't know if I could have gotten away with just taking the caliper off and trying to slide the rotor out of the bracket, but the job is done.

While I was at it, I rotated the tires, since they were due. Now it's time for an oil change and that damn fuel level sender. Just need to time an almost empty tank with a weekend to work on it.

By the way, my rear pads still had plenty of meat on them, but the fronts were almost to the end of the wear groove. My passenger rear rotor showed signs of warping, so that explains some of the vibrations I was feeling. The fronts also were more worn on the inner pads which is to be expected. I'm just glad I was able to do it myself. The brakes have more grip and I've only gone a 100 miles on them so far. Break-in takes about 600 miles, so I'll let you know after they have had time to set in.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info. Of course I'll never be able to find this thread again when I need it. Definitely let us know how the new pads and rotors handle down the road.

I've had one experience with the stock pads that was a bit frightening-driving down off a mountain peak into Park City, following a very slow moving car. Popping it into lower gears wouldn't help because I'd have to brake when the RPMs shot too high. Brakes started to fail because of the heat, but I was fortunately out of the steep stuff. I've been contemplating what to replace them with ever since. I did have some slotted rotors and highly rated pads installed on my old Durango, but they ended up being worse than stock, although that probably has more to do with the piss-poor design of the vehicle to begin with.

Any chance you could at least throw in a picture of the pads & rotors that you bought? Even if you pilfer it from elsewhere, it would help seeing.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

I had the same thing happen to me going down Old Priest Grade near Yosemite with 50K+ miles last summer. Figure pads are thin and it's time to do it sometime soon... Was able to downshift and slow down and then juuust avoid punting a fool at the stop sign at the bottom of the hill. Had the GF and her folks in the truck with me and they never noticed a problem, so this is our little secret :wink:

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:36 pm

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:25 am

I just got done with the same install (3GD dimpled / slotted rotors, Green Stuff 7000 front / 6000 rear). Had some help from a co-worker and that helped. Was able to use basic socket set (with a short piece of pipe as a breaker bar) and a small screw driver (to hold the small brake pad clips in the caliper up).

I had looked at the online service manual, but was surprised that it doesn't include anything on the parking brake setup. I was definitely surprised to see an inner drum/shoe setup. My parking brake sucks and hardly holds. I've adjusted the cable and it has minimal play, but if I forget to unlock the brake when driving away, there's hardly any indication of the brake being on. My A4 on the other hand won't move if the handbrake is on.

I took a bunch of pics of the setup and will post them when I get them into my computer.

Haven't had much of a chance to break/settle the pads in, but will do over the next couple of weeks.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:56 am

Price?

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:59 pm

ralphwiggums wrote:I just got done with the same install (3GD dimpled / slotted rotors, Green Stuff 7000 front / 6000 rear). Had some help from a co-worker and that helped. Was able to use basic socket set (with a short piece of pipe as a breaker bar) and a small screw driver (to hold the small brake pad clips in the caliper up).

I had looked at the online service manual, but was surprised that it doesn't include anything on the parking brake setup. I was definitely surprised to see an inner drum/shoe setup. My parking brake sucks and hardly holds. I've adjusted the cable and it has minimal play, but if I forget to unlock the brake when driving away, there's hardly any indication of the brake being on. My A4 on the other hand won't move if the handbrake is on.

I took a bunch of pics of the setup and will post them when I get them into my computer.

Haven't had much of a chance to break/settle the pads in, but will do over the next couple of weeks.
I'd be interested in your opinion on stopping power of the EBC setup vs. OEM. I'm trying to make the decision of going with EBC 3GD rotors vs. OEM when I do my brakes. I've got Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds (which have great traction, in my opinion) and an emergency stop from 60 MPH kicks in ABS on dry pavement with no noticible brake fade (after 66k on the original pads, at that)...at this point I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade from stock if the tires can't handle more brake.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Well the EBC is in a different league compared to OEM. I'm still trying to get used to the shortened stopping distance. They feel great with out being too grabby and kicking in the ABS. I've gotten past the break in period and I have had no problems so far.

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 pm

Green Stuff pads

stock rotors (rear)

Green Stuff in the calipers

EBC sport rotors (front)

EBC sport rotors (rear)

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:06 am

myriad46 wrote:Price?
i second that

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, he spent alot of Jacksons.. LOL. a Ttl of $671.00 for the front and rear brakes, He purchased what I have been wanting. Guess I have to buy now. Except I am just doing the front..

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:16 pm

You guys want to know what I paid.
Subtotal $614.92
Shipping $0.00
Discount $92.24
Tax $0.00
Grand Total $522.68
from Autoanything.com during an awesome sale at the end of last year.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”