Please immediate help! Unsure what fluid I drained)

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

BRUCEUSC1

Please immediate help! Unsure what fluid I drained)

Postby BRUCEUSC1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:59 pm

2002 nissan pathfinder

I did my own oil change today and something has went terribly wrong. I trained the black pan(rectangular shaped with raised grooves on the bottom) in the middle slightly behind the wheels. The drain screw was in the back left corner if u were standing from behing the car.

After I drained it I then took the filter off and loss minimal oil(about 1/4qt, very small)

But after I did the oil change(5qts) I tried to drive it and it would just rev up and barely go like the transmission was messed up. I hope I didnt drain the transmission fluid! I dont think I did cuz i loosened the pan plug and oil came out. Did I fill up the oil so much that it got into the transmission pan. Please help I am freaking out!!

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 pm

seems to me you screwed up bad... hopefully you did not run it too long.. if what you drained looked like this then you drained the transmission :

Now, removing the oil filter will not pour much oil since all of it is in the oil pan lower...looking like this : Image much more oval than rectangular....

to fix all this, you will need to buy a good 5 liters of tansmission oil (dextron III) , then you will drain you engine oil, cause I assume you poured more engine oil in there without removing it.... did you checked your oil dipstick after you were done ?? the stick must have been pretty overfilled no ??? so fix your engine oil level, and put back trans oil from the trans dipsticl (passenger side of the engine bay)... this is why you trans was slipping.....no oil in it....!

BRUCEUSC1

Thanks

Postby BRUCEUSC1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 am

You are lifesaver. Cant believe how embarassed I am right now but thank you again for your help.

Nighter-cdn

Transmission fluid vs oil

Postby Nighter-cdn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Hopefully there was enough still in the torque convertor to not cause any damage...

Usually transmission fluid is red or a dark pink. If it stinks (like a burning smell) or it looks dark, it is time to change it !

Oil on the other hand is a dark grey or black even when it is dirty.

Hope things work out for you !

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”