2005 Transmission Questions....Symptoms...What to look for??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:16 pm

S and J look more or less the same - I can say from the MANY i've seen, that you can have one or both fluids contaminated. Uncontaminated fluid starts to take on a yellowish hue when it's getting old. it is very obvious when either in contaminated. Also, when you pour trans fluid out of the bottle, it seems to look a deeper color than the small sample on the dipstick

gilldawg79

Postby gilldawg79 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:10 am

Tech wrote:S and J look more or less the same - I can say from the MANY i've seen, that you can have one or both fluids contaminated. Uncontaminated fluid starts to take on a yellowish hue when it's getting old. it is very obvious when either in contaminated. Also, when you pour trans fluid out of the bottle, it seems to look a deeper color than the small sample on the dipstick
Would you say that you can tell by looking at the dipstick?

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:57 am

Yes, you can see it on the dipstick.

Honestly, it sounds like yours is fine for now. Just do the bypass and be done with it.

I have 109,000 miles on my '05 and I have owned it since it had 16,000 miles. I guess I am lucky but I had no trans cooler probs with mine and I just did the cooler bypass less than 5,000 miles ago.

FYI, as much of a problem as this seems to be, there are AOT of Pfinders that have not had this happen. Just cause you own an '05, dont automatically think yours is destined to failure... it isnt worth worrying about something that is so easily preventable.

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:10 am

Do 2007's have this issue?

gilldawg79

Postby gilldawg79 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Well, did the bypass, and I think I was happy with what I saw. What do you guys think? I think I am going to add one of these since I do some towing now and again with my Pathfinder.

This is my Tranny Fluid

Thanks for all the input!

Jimmy

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 pm

looks fine
which bypass method did you use (hose swap or cut/connect)?

gilldawg79

Postby gilldawg79 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:14 pm

I used the pull and connect method. I also capped off the inlet and outlet of the cooler. I just liked leaving the old hoses the same length and capping the old cooler. No real reason as to why I did it that way other than the fact that I had the barbed connector and some caps.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:00 pm

@ gilldawg79

Where did you find that cooler?

gilldawg79

Postby gilldawg79 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:55 pm

It's what streetrodders are using....Just google images "aluminum transmission cooler". Mounts on the frame anywhere airflow will be present....Ought to dissipate well.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:52 am

Im reading up on clubfrontier.com that u have to remove the bottom skid plate, is that necessary for the path as well? Im assuming it is, does anyone have a writeup with pictures on this mod? The diagram below im assuming is from the bottom of the truck looking up correct? not from the engine bay looking down? Thanks in advance.

dryart wrote:This is much easier, and you don't have to buy anything or cut anything! :D
bellwilliam wrote:just did the bypass. easier done than describing it. but I did not use any additional parts. no coupler, no hose clamp (reuse original), no zip tie.

you have 2 hoses -
hose A - from external transmission cooler to radiator (passenger side)
hose B - from radiator (driver side) to engine block.

take hose A off radiator (passenger side) and plug into engine block
take hose B off engine block and plug into radiator (passenger side), forming a loop within.

reuse all the old hose and clamp. length is perfect.

Before

After
[/quote]

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:33 am

I'm considering either replacing the factory external cooler with this B&M cooler or trying to piggy back this into the system.

B&M Hi-Tek Automatic Transmission Cooling System 13-1/2"x9"x3-1/2" with 9-1/2" diameter fan

"The newest addition to B&M's line of SuperCooler fluid coolers is the Hi-Tek cooling system. Fitted with a high quality 12 volt electric fan and built-in mounting brackets, these coolers handle tough cooling jobs. They include a thermal switch to activate the fan when the fluid temperature reaches 175 degrees F. Can be used for racing, RV and street performance vehicles. Suitable for all fluid cooling needs including: automatic transmission fluid, engine oil, differential fluid, power steering and tubrocharger oil in circle track, road racing, off-road, tractor pulling and monster truck applications."

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Have you looked at other u-joints trying to solve this vibration? I know you mentioned you have replaced one already, but there could be more going bad on you. There are 4 u-joints and usually the ones on the front shaft go bad more often. I would check these again before blaming the tranny. If its shifting fine and your tranny fluid is clear it is most likely not your problem.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:43 pm

I replaced all four of my U Joints and that solved the vibration/noise issues.....for a little while......after trying to diagnose the most current vibration/noise issue, I discovered the real source of all my vibration issues.
My issue is the Tourque converter. It is not engaging/disengaging properly and it causes a crazy amount of vibration/noise between 40-65mph.
Try replacing the u joints first(much cheaper than tourque converter) and see how it goes. Good luck. :D

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”