My paint is rusting after 1.5 years... anyone else?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

thejean

My paint is rusting after 1.5 years... anyone else?

Postby thejean » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:22 pm

I have a white 2008 PF LE and there are little tiny rust spots over the entire vehicle (even under the 3M protection) and we have only owned the thing for a year and a half (bought new). Anyway, just curious if anyone else has experienced this and what the dealer did for them. I live in an arid region of Canada where most vehicles don't rust until 15 years or more. Very frustrating. :evil:

Npath

Re: My paint is rusting after 1.5 years... anyone else?

Postby Npath » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 pm

thejean wrote:I have a white 2008 PF LE and there are little tiny rust spots over the entire vehicle (even under the 3M protection) and we have only owned the thing for a year and a half (bought new). Anyway, just curious if anyone else has experienced this and what the dealer did for them. I live in an arid region of Canada where most vehicles don't rust until 15 years or more. Very frustrating. :evil:
I get the same thing too on my silver PF but not under the 3M film. Every 6 months, I use WD40 and rub the spots out after a wash, then I wax.

I find this to be an almost high detail maintenance SUV, dealing with orange spots and checking the rain channel paint cracks.

You should take a look up there too. I've heard someone mention their channels have rust in the cracks already.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:29 pm

We've waxed ours twice, maybe three times since we've owned it(just over 2 years). We live where there is salt water laced fog for a month or two each year. We have not a single pit of rust. The roof channels are not cracked either, like some have had problems with. I would think in this day and age of robotic painting machines, quality would be more consistent.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm

you won't see these spots on your truck if you live in Santa Barbara or for that matter anywhere else where they don't throw salt/chemicals on the road to melt ice. I'm in Boston area and I had the same issue on all my previous cars - Mazda, VW, Subaru, Volvo and BMW. All of them had this during the winter months and required some attention in the spring. Its not the paint quality, but rather salt sticking to the paint and oxidizing, forming these tiny rust specs. You can remove them with your nail by gently rubbing them, but when you have hundreds on each panel, it becomes a pain. You can find these spots on metal as well as plastic painted parts. I find that the best way to remove them is to apply a cleaner wax and then polish the car afterwards. I have never tried WD-40, but that sounds like a good idea.

thejean

Postby thejean » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:42 pm

We don't use salt here in Alberta. If I was back east, I could see it. But in an arid province with no salt, this truck should not be doing this.

rubicon03

Postby rubicon03 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 pm

what you are experiencing is brake dust sticking on your white paint, some product are design for removing those rust spot. try to get liquid fall out remover ( uap/napa ) those will wash right out, then you do it once or twice a year and your pathfinder will be pristine white

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”