Cargo Area Tie Downs

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

MonkeyMike

Cargo Area Tie Downs

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:14 am

Broke one of the tie-downs in the floor last weekend. Snapped the rectangular loop strapping down some lumber. It looks like those rectangular loops are made of pretty cheap metal. Anyone know if there are any better aftermarket replacements for them? Or am I stuck replacing it with an OEM part?

~mike

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 am

I was thinking the same thing last weekend while at one of the auto parts stores. I ran across their section with tie downs and a bunch of different tie down hooks, obviously for a pickup truck. You should pop the old one out and see if you might be able to cut the opening a bit larger & fit one of the truck tie down (foldable) rings in there. If you do pop one out, take a picture of it & post it here. Maybe someone will have a good idea. My only concern with installing a truck tie down is that I'm pretty doubtful that it could be anchored to the car very well. I'm guessing the only screw/bolt attachment points would be plastic.

For example: http://www.realtruck.com/truck_bed_tie_ ... 523CS.html

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 am

steve...

thats the exact same page i found when trying to hunt down some universal tie down anchors. the major problem with the stake pocket tie down anchors is that they usually go down a few inches into the sidewall of the bed... i doubt we can accommodate that kind of depth.

ive got some ideas in my head for some various anchor designs that could work. but you are correct, i will have to pull the existing anchors to see how they are attached. easiest solution is to replace with the crappy oem one, and probably break it next time i put any amount of force on it.

its not a huge priority for me right now, so it might not be done for a while. but i will definitely let everyone know what (if anything) i come up with.

~mike

jefbarn

Postby jefbarn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:27 am

yeah, same thing happened to me on the two rear most tie down spots. That metal they used is crap. I'm thinking of just replacing the shiny metal part with a stainless D-ring if I can find one the right size. Could also try bending a stainless bar into a rectangle of the proper size.
The whole contraption is bolted to the frame (10mm bolt I think).
One trick I figured out after those broke, is you can just take the tie downs out and use the bolt holes to attach things to the floor. For example I bolted down a bike rack that I fashioned out of some wood planks.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:36 am

jefbarn wrote:The whole contraption is bolted to the frame (10mm bolt I think).
This is going by memory, so don't shoot me if I'm wrong. I believe I remember reading somewhere that the anchors were only good for about a 15lb load. So, either the metal ring is crap, or the whole assembly is crap. I wouldn't (and don't) trust my tie downs for anything that might require more than a few lbs of pull. I'd be pretty happy if I had some heavy duty tie down points though.

Someone needs to pull that out and post a picture here. Now I'm really curious to see what's underneath & if we can possibly install a beefy tie down.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:06 pm

ditto....would love to see a mod or something to give us some functional in vehicle tie down points

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”