tranny change

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:01 am

SPICOLI wrote:When my tranny failed, there was no check engine lights that came on. The only way that I knew that something was wrong was the rumble noise and weird shifting/almost slipping at cruising speed at low rpm's.

It's all behind me now, fortunately it only cost me $1200, the dealer absorbed the rest of the cost for the tranny and the rad. I was told that Nissan thinks that the manufacturer of the radiator thinks that there was a huge batch of bad radiators that was produced early on and ended up being installed in the early Pathfinders and Frontiers. Apparently the new rads are supposed to have been re-designed or upgraded or something like that.

I'm still gonna phone Nissan Canada and give them an earfull. Worst case scenario, they'll tell me to pound sand, and best case, they'll give me my $1200 back or give me more warranty or something.

Crossing my fingers,

:lol:
Was it out of warranty? I bought my '05 about 1 1/2 years ago and got the factory bumper-bumper wrap to 100,000 miles or 84 months from production date. I have the same problem. Do you think my warranty will cover it?

ravrunner

Postby ravrunner » Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 am

my tranny is contaminated and it triggered the check engine light, got codes dealing with the solenoids or something like that.

Anyone know if taking it to AAMCO is a good choice?, guy told me repair is at $895 plus whatever parts I will need.

I should definitely tell them to refill it with matic j fluid right?

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Thu May 06, 2010 9:55 am

Matic J is what you need for the tranny fluid.

My PF was out of warranty, but the dealership was awesome and picked up $4800 worth of cost. All I paid was $1200. The dealer told me that they've seen a whole bunch of these and that they would replace it under a blend of goodwill and some kind of "warranty". If you have any other questions PM me. :D

ravrunner

Postby ravrunner » Thu May 06, 2010 10:40 am

ok man thanks

my dealer is not that generous, they told me 6k.....

so it might be aamco who does my work...895 plus parts, but I guess they wont know exactly until they take it apart.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Thu May 06, 2010 12:29 pm

The nice thing about the dealer looking at the PF was that they went out for a testdrive with their computers hooked up and managed to get a reading and diagnose within one hour the problem. All that without even putting the PF on the lift.

I don't know when you bought your PF, but I got mine in Sept '09 and the dealer had no obligation whatsoever to help me out. When I approached them with this issue, I spoke to the service and sales managers and just asked them to help me out. I told them that I bought my vehicle there and I've been hearing a strange noise/vibration coming from the driveline. I did the U joints myself and the noise/vibration improved a little bit but the tranny noise/vibration stood out. The dealer thought about what they could do, they talked to the owner and asked me to pay $2200. I told them that I couldn't afford that much money and we finally settled on $1200. During the entire negotiation, I was VERY, VERY, VERY polite and respectful to them. At the end, it seemed like they wanted to help me out as a loyal customer. I think that if I approached them demanding things, I wouldn't have gotten anything.

I would strongly suggest trying again and this time plead with the managers, tell them that you've done nothing wrong and that you're really looking for some help. I hope they reconsider helping you out. Also mention to them that my dealership Jonker Honda in Surrey, BC, Canada helped me out with this issue.

Hopefully that will help you, let me know how it works out for you.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 am

At the dealer right now. THIS tech listened to my description of the problem. Popped the radiator cap and told the service writer it would be an overnight job. New tranny and radiator, here we come!!!!

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat May 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Let us know how it turns out. I'm definitely interested in how the dealership treats you and in the end how much it's gonna cost.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 am

The whole job was covered by my extended "Preferred" warranty. For the second car in a row, the warranty has paid for itself and more.

However, a warning to others. In my case my extended warranty shows up on a different screen in their computers, so when they start a job, they always say that it's not covered by my 60K Powertrain. I then tell them to flip to the next page, and they say, "Oh, nevermind, it's covered." Before he did that, though, he brings me over to the desk and tells me he is trying to figure out how to cover it with my powertrain warranty (the truck has 55K on it). He tells me that the readiator caused the transmission to fail, so it wouldn't have been covered under my warranty. Such a load of crap!!! If the wall to the radiator rotted out and leaked into the tranny cooler, couldn't you say the tranny cooler rotted out and leaked into the radiator? Wouldn't you consider a part that circulates transmission fluid, to be a part of the transmission?

Anyway, be forwarned if you are going to try and get it covered under a powertrain warranty, that you may be up for a fight.

Truck drives great now.

nightstalker 6

Postby nightstalker 6 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Ok, I guess there is hope for some out there. if you catch it in time, this seems to have helped me. stealership will not help. so my procedure was as follows.

1. bypass the radiator cooler.

2. spill & fill.

3. drive 500 miles

4. spill & fill with seafoam trans tune additive.

5. drive 500 miles

6. spill & fill or poor mans flush.

so far after 1 1/2 months, this has worked for us.

I'll keep you posted.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 26, 2010 4:25 pm

nightstalker 6 wrote:Ok, I guess there is hope for some out there. if you catch it in time, this seems to have helped me. stealership will not help.
I'll keep you posted.
Were you able to get rid of the "rumble strip" sound?

nightstalker 6

Postby nightstalker 6 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:54 pm

as of now, yes the rumble strip vibration is gone. I'm going to finish out this oil change, about 650 miles to go, then change the oil and do the poor mans flush to compleatly change the fluid. I've got to keep this pathy for at least three more years. only 1 1/2 years till she is paid for.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 26, 2010 6:04 pm

nightstalker 6 wrote:as of now, yes the rumble strip vibration is gone.
That's excellent! :D

nightstalker 6

Postby nightstalker 6 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:13 am

So, its been 6-7 months now and i am happy to report, no more rumble strip sounds from the pathy. The spill & fills along with a poor mans flush, combined with the seafoam trans tune seemed to do the trick for me. There is hope out there if it is caught in time.

After 6 months and about 9000 miles, all seems well.

Thnks to all on here for the valuble info on this pathy. Next AC line inspection and repair. (repair if needed that is)

nightstalker 6

Postby nightstalker 6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:59 pm

****UPDATE*****

Still runnin great. No other symptoms.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:11 pm

nightstalker 6 wrote:****UPDATE*****

Still runnin great. No other symptoms.
good to hear!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”