OME Suspension Upgrade FINISHED

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:10 pm

BLINK,
in one of your pics. the one with the throttle body. is that factory or aftermarket?
if aftermarket, does it help, how much and where to get?
easy to install?
thanks.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:24 am

blink32 wrote: That shouldn't be a problem. I stuffed a 285/75R17 in there on my 06 with minimal rubbing when the tire was stuffed during turns. The rubbing didn't go away with the OME lift either. Took a while but I found that it would rub on the very bottom/center at the front of the wheel well liner during the turns. I never got it to hit anywhere else.

Look forward to some pics of your trip.
I'm running the stock 265/75R16's. Is the rubbing from the 3/4" added width, or the ~1/2" of added height (compared to mine)? I also only have the 7" wheels, and all the tire mfr. sites say that I need at least 7.5" for larger sizes. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Still trying to find time to get the pictures sorted. Nothing spectacular, that's for sure.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:59 am

NVSteve wrote: I'm running the stock 265/75R16's. Is the rubbing from the 3/4" added width, or the ~1/2" of added height (compared to mine)? I also only have the 7" wheels, and all the tire mfr. sites say that I need at least 7.5" for larger sizes. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Still trying to find time to get the pictures sorted. Nothing spectacular, that's for sure.
The rubbing has to be from the width. It could even be solved by shaving the very edge of the tire tread at a 45 about 1/4 - 3/8 inch deep. It should go away even further with normal tire wear. I can see where my tires rubbed a groove in the liner and now it no longer rubs.

7 vs 7.5, in my opinion if you can get into the range specified by the manu your better off if you have liability claims. But if you have a 7 and your supposed to have a 7.5 it will still work. In my Chevy forums there are guys doing a lot worse. You really run into trouble when running the tires aired way down on sand or rock crawling or when carrying heavy loads. You risk unseating a bead. But for normal driving, off roading at normal psi the 1/2" difference more likely that not won't matter. Anything greater though and it's easier to get a set of 17" stockers and use them just to be safe.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:07 pm

blink32 wrote:
7 vs 7.5, in my opinion if you can get into the range specified by the manu your better off if you have liability claims. But if you have a 7 and your supposed to have a 7.5 it will still work.
I may just stick to the stock tires & wheels. They don't have anything taller in a 16", only wider, which means I would have to get new wheels as well. Maybe I'll just go for the OME lift first, then decide from there. I'm hoping the company that will do the sliders for me will be able to install the suspension at the same time. So much to do, so little time.

edit: 33's would probably work without a hitch. Same width + 1" taller, but on 15" wheels. I'm also wondering if Bilstein will produce a suspension lift since they will be replacing Rancho on the '08 models. Fortunately, I'm not in any rush to get things installed.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:18 pm

Death Valley pictures are posted here:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=1673#1673

They are smaller than I intended, but that is the fault of fotopic, which happens to be my picture host. If you want larger pictures, I've included links at the very bottom of the post that will take you directly to my galleries on fotopic.net.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: VDC Problem Finally Solved!

Postby NVSteve » Thu May 17, 2007 7:41 am

ragpaoa wrote: Now, the truck seems a lot more stable, and drives even better. Now I will post my pics with measurements, and feel really good about it. :D
Still waiting on those pictures! I need to get a visual of how the mediums look up front, as opposed to the "softer" ones most everyone else got. Are the front & rear still balanced well, as in no rake? Any other comments/observations with having the mediums up front?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:56 pm

So guys now that you have had it installed an on a while what does everyone think?
I've been mulling over the purchase for a while and was wondering about how would be for a daily driver. I also use the path to tow the bikes 750miles one way to Ride Hatfield McCoy every summer. Would the stiffer suspension get on my nerves on 81 from PA to WV. It was like 200 miles of rumble strip on the stock suspension and tires...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:03 pm

I had my PF scheduled to get rock rails just over a month ago, but ended up getting the virus from hell for 2 weeks, so had to reschedule. I'm booked for the 23rd of this month, so I went ahead and ordered the light up front & medium in back. I can pick up everything when I get my PF back with the new rails. I'm still trying to hunt down someone/someplace that will be able to install the suspension, as I just don't have enough room to do it at my condo. We'll see.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:09 am

Anyone using the OME setup on a daily driver? Would you recommend it?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:23 am

Guess I never saw your first request for that answer. I don't use it as a daily but have daily driven it for 2,3 and 4 days in a row before. If I had stock tires or at-least near-stock sized aftermarket tires I could see it being completely fine for every day driving.

I drove primarily pickups for a number of years and always have one on hand and the OME isn't anywhere near as rough or bouncy as any pickup I have driven. I would say its a better ride than a 1/2 ton pickup with leafs out back and spring/arms up front, but worse than a car. Bumps in the road I feel, but its translated more to a vibration rather than an up down motion. I blame a lot of the tracking and squirrelliness I experience on the dumb wide tires I have. If the roads are not cupped then the ride is good regardless of potholes, bumps, etc.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 pm

So who has the Best Prices for the OME setup? any Recommendations?
as for setup light up front and light in the back or Medium on 4 corners?
I'm a little leary of putting light up front and mendium in the rear. After putting in the Airlift in my path I've noticed my front end has loosened up a bit I don't to have to worry about that down the road...
On the other hand the 08 pathfinder SE off road comes with Bilstien's instead of the Rancho's. Does anyone know if the springs are any different or just the shocks. I love the Idea of the OME, But I don't want to deal with any dealerships snubbing me becuase Nissan gave us a crappy suspension to start with

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:27 am

Fofiddy wrote:So who has the Best Prices for the OME setup? any Recommendations?
I ordered mine for $680 locally, which should be easy enough for you to do the same in your neck of the woods.
as for setup light up front and light in the back or Medium on 4 corners?
I'm a little leary of putting light up front and mendium in the rear. After putting in the Airlift in my path I've noticed my front end has loosened up a bit I don't to have to worry about that down the road...
Supposedly, the light up front is suggested if you have up to 90 lbs. of extra weight on the front. The mediums are suggested if you have 90 or more lbs., such as winch & full bull bar. From memory, light isn't offered in the rear, just medium and heavy.
On the other hand the 08 pathfinder SE off road comes with Bilstien's instead of the Rancho's. Does anyone know if the springs are any different or just the shocks. I love the Idea of the OME, But I don't want to deal with any dealerships snubbing me becuase Nissan gave us a crappy suspension to start with
I've been wondering if the springs in my OR are any different than the non-OR models, but haven't been able to confirm anything. I'm betting that only the shocks/struts will be changed (for the Bilstien's), and not the springs. But, I'm also guessing that they will have a different set of springs for the front of the V8 versions, per the additional weight of the engine. Then again, there may not be that much difference in weight between the 6 & 8.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:47 am

For those of you who have installed the OME, what parts need to be taken off the front stock coilovers to be used with the new OME? If there are just a few minor parts, then I can pick those up from the dealer and be able to get the new fronts assembled without losing the use of my PF. If I can do that, then I should be able to head over to a friend's house and install everything whenever I get the chance. I just haven't really come across anyplace local that I would trust to install the OME for me, at least so far.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:44 am

If I remember right, the only parts you reuse are the upper spring cup/retainer, and the spring isolators. It comes with new nuts and what not.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:54 am

Anyone have the air lift first and then go over to the OME? impressions?
Ragpoa, Dude I wanna see some pics with the bumper and OME...

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”