Great Deal on OBDII Scanners

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Budrbean

Great Deal on OBDII Scanners

Postby Budrbean » Tue May 11, 2010 1:56 pm

FYI, Advance Auto Parts stores are running all of their Actron OBDII Scanners on sale for 50% off. I picked this one up today for $68.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 12, 2010 7:12 am

Are these things simple plug & play? Will it read & translate all of the Nissan/Pathfinder codes? Do you simply plug it in, start the car & if any error code is present (service engine soon), will it immediately read it?

I've obviously never paid any attention to these things...can you tell? That would be great buy, especially considering Nissan charges $120 just to read the codes.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed May 12, 2010 7:40 am

NVSteve wrote:Are these things simple plug & play? Will it read & translate all of the Nissan/Pathfinder codes? Do you simply plug it in, start the car & if any error code is present (service engine soon), will it immediately read it?

I've obviously never paid any attention to these things...can you tell? That would be great buy, especially considering Nissan charges $120 just to read the codes.
I have a generic code reader I got for $50 at the local surplus store. It has been invaluable in diagnosing and repairing both my 98 honda civic and my pathfinder.

I have had some issues on Chrysler products, as it appears they use a lot of proprietary codes that the generic code reader couldn't read or clear.

The way I look at this tool is that you end up paying for it the first time you use it, as most dealers charge a $75 - 100 diagnostic fee to clear any codes.

t

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed May 12, 2010 4:27 pm

NVSteve wrote:Are these things simple plug & play? Will it read & translate all of the Nissan/Pathfinder codes? Do you simply plug it in, start the car & if any error code is present (service engine soon), will it immediately read it?

Yes its plug and play. They have one thats about $20 cheaper but all it does is tell you the code. Then you have to look it up. The model I got tells you the code and what it is right on the screen.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Mon May 24, 2010 1:12 pm

will this work like scangauge, tell you real time MPG? I figure it doesn't

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed May 26, 2010 12:37 pm

No it doesnt give real time stats.....You are looking at a lot more money for one of those

Return to “General Automotive”