New owner, couple of questions...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

56nomad56

New owner, couple of questions...

Postby 56nomad56 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:33 pm

We recently purchased an '08 SE 4x4, have a couple of questions for everyone.

1. Switched from no-name 265/65/17 H/T tires to 265/70/17 Geolander A/T-S.
a. If we plan to do some very light off roading (emphasize LIGHT) do we need a 265/70 spare? The spare is still new (BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A). The guy at the tire store said mismatched tires would be o.k. if you're in 2wd, but what happens if you have a flat out in the wilderness?
b. We go to Brian Head Utah for about 4 days every Christmas, will the Geolanders be o.k. for snowy/icy roads or do I need to get chains or snow tires?

2. Any way to add factory bluetooth to the stock Bose stereo? Been looking online but not able to find a retrofit kit.

3. Does the '08 suffer from the same trans cooler issues as earlier models, and will I need to do the bypass?

4. Anyone know of good beginner to moderate off-road trails in the southern California area to get used to the vehicle and trail driving? I found some trails in Joshua Tree, but they all look pretty aggressive. Would also like to explore Big Bear area as well, if anyone has any suggestions.

5. Anyone have any experience/opinion on the rear seat Nissan docking DVD player? Might go with separate portable DVD players, as the 10 year old girl doesn't like to watch 7 year old brother's Star Wars movies :-)

Thanks in advance!

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon May 31, 2010 2:09 pm

I can answer only a couple of the questions, first, CONGRATS on the new Pathy, see my info below on mine.. The 265-70 tires are approx 1.60 inches larger from the center of wheel, or 3.30 Ttl in diameter circumfrence. So running a spare 265-65 would probably be more of a concern on the open hi-way than going slow on a trail in my opinion.. I have in my vehicle the tire repair kit which has the tire needle and plug, along with a pair of pliars to remove a object if there is one. and a small tire pump which plugs into the lighter or accessory outlet. The new Yokohama tires are great in snow.. so you should be ok with snow up to approx 16-18 inches deep. My pathy went through 20" of deep snow 2 yrs back no problems and I have all mode 4x4. As for the trans by-pass, I have left mine alone due to this problem is more so found on the 05-07 models..but not all owners who have these yrs ever have the problem.. kinda like luck of the draw.. I just keep an eye on my trans fluid level and color ,check it every 2 weeks. and I am very sensitive to how it shifts also, so out of the normal I will know if something goes wrong. enjoythe pathy. :wink:

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:13 pm

With AWD you always want to run 4 equal size tires. It can be hard on the transmission/transfer case if you don't.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon May 31, 2010 3:37 pm

1. Using a tire calculator on Miata.net, the difference between the diameters 1". Having a matching spare has come in very handy on long road trips.

The PF is very capable right out of the box. Pretty much the most slippery conditions we have ever been in were with the stock General Grabbers, which are less aggresive than even my Maxima tires. We were able to drive on roads that were hard to walk on.

2. No idea.

3. Whether the '08's and newer will be affected, only time will tell. There have been many '07's affected(I'm including Xterras and Frontiers) and I have not seen any evidence that they changed anything to the radiator. I did the bypass, but I had a spare cooler lying around to throw on, so I went ahead and did it. I didn't feel like being the first '08 to have the problem and the consequences are just too significant. However, I have not heard of a single '08 that has been affected at this point.

4. Pick up the book Backroad Trips and Tips by Harry Lewellyn. It'll have plenty of trails for you to try and each is rated as to its difficulty.

5. We prefer a portable unit as you can take it in the Hotel or trailer if you are on a road trip.

56nomad56

Thanks

Postby 56nomad56 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:10 pm

Good info. Found a place on Craigslist that has a supply of 265/70s for cheap, might have them mount one on the spare just to be safe.

Like the car a lot so far, first 4x4 I've ever owned so excited to go out and explore but apprehensive about getting stuck or having something break. Going to be out in Utah for 3 weeks this summer with the wife and kids, want to get in a little trail driving practice locally before we go.

Thanks for the replies!

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:55 pm

56nomad56, whereabouts in OC are you? I just got my PF 4x4 (and an X 4x4) and am just down the road in Oceanside. I'd like to try out some trails too. Will also look for that book.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”