Trans Cooler Bypass/Temp Sender All In One

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Tue May 25, 2010 8:05 am

Finally got my new fan in and got the project done today. Should have known I wouldnt get it done without hurting myself. Please take my advice....when checking fan rotation and such with the fan running, KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE BLADES!!! I seriously cut my finger deep. It has lost feeling in the tip so I guess I cut nerves.....still debating on whether to go get stitches, finally got the bleeding to stop.

WARNING! LAST PICTURE NOT FOR FAINT OF HEART! PLEASE DO NOT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU ARE BOTHERED BY BLOOD...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 25, 2010 8:21 am

Budrbean wrote:Finally got my new fan in and got the project done today. Should have known I wouldnt get it done without hurting myself. Please take my advice....when checking fan rotation and such with the fan running, KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE BLADES!!! I seriously cut my finger deep. It has lost feeling in the tip so I guess I cut nerves.....still debating on whether to go get stitches, finally got the bleeding to stop.
OUCH. I'd go get it checked out man. By now its probably too late for stitches, but maybe they can tell if you have permanent damage? I once got into a hockey fight with some guy that had it out for me. The wuss was wearing a cage on his helmet, so I couldn't do any real damage. Instead, I grabbed the cage with my hands and used the leverage to bring him down. With all the adrenaline, I grabbed the cage so tightly that I lost feeling in the end of my middle finger for about 6 months. Scary stuff. But the feeling came back. And he never messed with me again! :)

Slick set-up. Not sure what to do for us folks with 4WD, I was thinking about stripping down an LED gauge so the just the LED panel was set into the instrument cluster somewhere, maybe behind the engine temp gauge, or worst case, onto one of the empty switches beside the 4WD dial.

t

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 am

My doctor was kind enough to fit me in and they had to put a couple stitches in it. Thank goodness I didnt have to waste half my day at the ER.

bellwilliam

Postby bellwilliam » Tue May 25, 2010 10:39 am

bellwilliam wrote:op:

where did you buy the adapter (with 1/8" NPT) ? everywhere I looked online is 5/8" hose adapter. not 3/8".

thanks
I will answer my own question here. I bought a 5/16" adapter with 1/8" NPT here:
http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/g ... tm#sensors
$12 shipped.

then I bought a transmission temp gauge at Jeg's, this comes with a 1/8" NPT sender
http://www.jegs.com/i/Cyberdyne/280/A021E061Y/10002/-1
$60 shipped.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Tue May 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Summer heat setting in and temps were definitely hotter today. At cruising speed it stays about 165. Climbs to almost 190 when going up through the gears and about 180 in stop and go traffic. I think the fan itself has definitely blocked some of the airflow but its still well within a good temp range.

Fossilfuleburner

Postby Fossilfuleburner » Tue May 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Nice install and pics! Did you incorporate a relay into the setup?

Glad to see you went with the switch vs thermostat control of the fan. A cool advantage you have with the switch is... if you know you're towing through an area that always heats up the tranny fluid, then you can turn on the fan before the area so the fan starts cooling the fluid before it gets hot. The fluid will still get hot but this method keeps temps lower and the final temperature when you get through the area (assuming its just a short distance) will be lower. For me its always from my house to the freeway, freeway to the lake, lake to the freeway and freeway to my house.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed May 26, 2010 4:20 am

Fossilfuleburner wrote:Nice install and pics! Did you incorporate a relay into the setup?
Nah, after researching it, I decided not to do the relay. This fan stays below 10 amps at startup so I just ran 10 ga wire to it and put a 15 amp inline fuse.

bellwilliam

Postby bellwilliam » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Here is a dumb question: how do you know which is the hose that flows into the transmission cooler, and which is the one that flows out ?

obviously you want the temp sender on the hot side.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:15 pm

bellwilliam wrote:Here is a dumb question: how do you know which is the hose that flows into the transmission cooler, and which is the one that flows out ?

obviously you want the temp sender on the hot side.
I located that info somewhere on the forum here, but basically you can just see which is hotter than the other. Top one on the cooler is inlet. Its the one that comes from the radiator.

Andrew32

Postby Andrew32 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:01 pm

if you dont mind me asking where did you splice into for the light?

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:53 am

Andrew32 wrote:if you dont mind me asking where did you splice into for the light?
I didnt. That was a job I really didnt want to tackle

Andrew32

Postby Andrew32 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:42 pm

ahh gotcha. i think i got it figured out...just gotta go do it

also for the main power to the temp gauge i pulled power from the nearby cig lighter.

As for the light, i figure the extra line tied in with the VDC line is for OR package switches such as the selector. Im gonna probe around and find the line that switches the buttons lights on and tap into that.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:59 am

Andrew32 wrote:ahh gotcha. i think i got it figured out...just gotta go do it

also for the main power to the temp gauge i pulled power from the nearby cig lighter.

As for the light, i figure the extra line tied in with the VDC line is for OR package switches such as the selector. Im gonna probe around and find the line that switches the buttons lights on and tap into that.
Thats where I tapped the power for the gage. I didnt think about finding the switched one for the lighting. I may end up doing that myself

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”