Lack of power - slow acceleration

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Nighter-cdn

Lack of power - slow acceleration

Postby Nighter-cdn » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:56 pm

This afternoon I went to fill up and drove home with no problems. In the late afternoon (fairly warm) I tried driving home but immediately noticed a lack of power (engine reving to 3000rpm but no acceleration). It was like I was pulling a semi trailer behind me (engine reving but not going anywhere fast).

I could barely get up a hill and had to go 20km/h with my 4way flashers on. It felt like the transmission was slipping but I put it in to 1 and it was doing the same thing. The tranny fluid was full so I parked it and drove it 2 hours later in the evening and it was back to normal. Anyone have the same issue before ? Maybe a fuel delivery problem ?

Any responses would be appreciated... Cheers.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:43 pm

I had the same thing happen to me and it ended up being my accelerator assembly. I checked the code and found the problem after a little searching. Went to the dealer and got it fixed for a couple hundred. If you have a code reader, that will help pin point the problem. Advanced has been having a lot of sales in the code readers. Hope this helps.

vancouverpathfinder

Same!

Postby vancouverpathfinder » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 pm

Weird that you posted that just a few days ago. I'm having the EXACT same problem, and it only started a week or so ago but has been intermittent since then. I drive an '04 and used the example "it feels like I'm running with a parachute tied to my back"...towing a semi sounds much more effective. Took it in today and the mechanic claimed it was the transmission and changed the fuel...only to prove that isn't the problem since it now drives like i have a semi AND a parachute behind me :(

Let me know if you figure out a fix!

Lemonaide

Similar Situation

Postby Lemonaide » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:48 am

I have an 2003 Pathfinder and I have been having a similar problem for the last 2 years. In 2008, the dealer changed the "intake sensors" and a week later did a "deep cleaning" of the engine. Neither operation made any difference. A few months later, I tried a NAPA product called Engine Fast Flush. You add it to your oil, run the engine for 5 minutes, then change the oil. It worked great. The hesitation, loss of power and lack of accelaration stopped immediately. The service engine light even went out after about a day. The car ran great for over a year. I changed the oil every 3000 miles and and used the Fast Flush each time.

Unfortunately, the fast flush stopped solving the problem and now it is worse than ever. I chenged the cam sensors in May and thought I had solved the problem. The car ran well for about 6 weeks, then the trouble started again. Now it's as bad as it ever was. I have a boat sitting on a trailer in my driveway that I don't dare to try towing with the Pathfinder acting like this.

If you haven't tried Engine Fast Flush, I would give it a try. If you come up with a different solution, please let me know.

jbh436

Same problem

Postby jbh436 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:11 pm

I am having the same problem at about 63k miles.

I ran several errands with the heat index over 105 degrees, A/C turned up all the way, 1/4 tank of gas left. Then as I was heading home (and flooring it going up some of our hills, like I always do), I gave it some gas and it felt like I was letting off the accelerator. I gave it more gas and it kept slowing down.

I literally had to floor it to get it to accelerate (it would downshift), but at the next light, it idled just fine. Tried AWD just to see what would happen - worked like normal, but still felt like I was towing a yacht. Turned the A/C off - no change.

Drive it today and it runs like normal again. No codes were ever thrown, but I'm assuming this was either a fuel delivery problem or the "limp home" mode, possibly triggered by ?? due to the heat?? Who knows?

The bad thing is - if it failed this time, it can fail again, and possibly at a worse time.

KE5ZRT

Postby KE5ZRT » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Please tell me someone has solved this problem. I have the exact same symptoms. I have changed both camshaft position sensors, flushed the motor oil, using penzoil ultra synthetic oil, new mass air flow sensor (holy crap nissan is proud of that part!), replaced both front oxygen sensors, and I've replaced the valve timing control solenoid. I've spent hundreds of dollars and the problem has not changed.

I am about to have the catalytic converters looked at, and I am going to replace the spark plugs and wires. I am running out of stuff to replace!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”