Upgraded Cargo area hooks that won't break!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Upgraded Cargo area hooks that won't break!

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Ok i broke two tie down hooks trying to secure a cooler so i found these at Lowes for $5, but haven't got a chance to install them yet. I was thinking about bending the mount untill the holes lined up, but i may also use the stock bolt and a self tapping screw. I will try to make it look stock and take some pics along the way.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:58 pm

cool....always been a bit iffy about r51 tie downs. interested in what you come up with.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:07 am

Be sure to let us know how it goes, because I'll be doing the same if it works. Ideally, I'd like to buy a long strip of steel or aluminum (Lowe's), then cut it down into 1" + strips, drill 2 holes in each chunk & use that on the backside/underneath for true support. Throw some nuts & bolts and it would be a massive improvement. I just wonder how much has to be removed to get to the underside. The only other thing I would do involves the rings of the tie downs. It seems that if anything isn't sitting right in the interior, it will rattle. Maybe wrapping tape around the rings, removing the rings & installing that shrinkwrap wire tubing, etc? Maybe they won't rattle at all though.

Looking forward to your results regardless.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Ok this is what i got using two self tapping screws and the covers will not fit i killed one trying. I'm not worried about how they look just about how they work. One held me(183lbs) standing on the bumper leaning way out with a tie down hooked to it!

madrock

Postby madrock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Nice work! I have a new mod to try now!

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:31 pm

madrock wrote:Nice work! I have a new mod to try now!
Thanks! By the way i didn't use any factory holes.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:50 pm

GOTGOO wrote:One held me(183lbs) standing on the bumper leaning way out with a tie down hooked to it!
And where's the picture of this? Nice job. Did those tie downs have any measurements/specs on the packaging? I'm just wondering if maybe one size smaller might fit with the plastic trim in place.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:51 pm

NVSteve wrote:
GOTGOO wrote:One held me(183lbs) standing on the bumper leaning way out with a tie down hooked to it!
And where's the picture of this? Nice job. Did those tie downs have any measurements/specs on the packaging? I'm just wondering if maybe one size smaller might fit with the plastic trim in place.
Thanks! :lol: I'm not that talented! As for measurements none on the package, but these are the smallest size i seen at lowes where they keep the truck bed tool boxes. I thought they looked ok without the plastic since its body color metal under it. I went tonight and picked up four more to do the rest so no more loose coolers for me!

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:24 am

To prevent rattles, you could dip the loops in that tool-handle-goop.

If you drop the spare, can you see where the self-tappers came out on the bottom? (if so, you may want to silcone them) Would a nut and bolt be feasible?

I am looking for a solution to help secure my bag of hitch parts, so that if I get in an accident a 30lb bag of metal isn't flying around the interior. I use a tool bag to keep everything in. I had envisioned a solid tether, and then a small steel cable with a caribeaner (spelling?) that I could run through the handles.

Upgraded tie downs would be a good solution to this problem, but I'd want more than a self-tapping screw to hold it down.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:46 am

myriad46 wrote:To prevent rattles, you could dip the loops in that tool-handle-goop.

If you drop the spare, can you see where the self-tappers came out on the bottom? (if so, you may want to silcone them) Would a nut and bolt be feasible?

I am looking for a solution to help secure my bag of hitch parts, so that if I get in an accident a 30lb bag of metal isn't flying around the interior. I use a tool bag to keep everything in. I had envisioned a solid tether, and then a small steel cable with a caribeaner (spelling?) that I could run through the handles.

Upgraded tie downs would be a good solution to this problem, but I'd want more than a self-tapping screw to hold it down.
No you cant see them from the bottom it looks like a boxed section of body. As for noise i couldnt notice any at all, but i guess you could try plasti dip ive never used it though.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 am

dig it.

would love to have tie down points anchored to the frame on the sides and ceiling, too...but if i can get some solid anchors in the floor it'll be a great start

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:31 am

GOTGOO wrote: One held me(183lbs) standing on the bumper leaning way out with a tie down hooked to it!
pics or it didnt happen :lol:

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:31 pm

mar1 wrote:
GOTGOO wrote: One held me(183lbs) standing on the bumper leaning way out with a tie down hooked to it!
pics or it didnt happen :lol:
I'll see what i can do! 8)

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Well i got that pic for ya!! If you do the one up high on the C pillar use a shorter screw and watch the wire behind it. I'll post that pic when i get home tonight...

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Will this do?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”