PRG Minilift (PICS Updated)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

MightyP

Postby MightyP » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:18 pm

I've been considering the Rancho Quicklift (9000 series struts) for my Pathfinder. Haven't seen anyone on here who's used them, but (according to Rancho) you can fit up to 285/75-16 tires on it without any cutting or rubbing. Just have to get the right off-set on the wheels.

MightyP

Postby MightyP » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Oh, and the lift looks great, by the way.

MDA225

Postby MDA225 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:08 am

madrock wrote:
MDA225 wrote:
madrock wrote:The PRG kit is strictly the front and rear spacers with extended bump stops. It is recommended that you upgrade the rear shocks as well. IMO, the PRG kit is easier to install because you don't have the compress the front coils. However, upgrading to the Bilstein struts with the other setup will improve handling and ride comfort.

Both have their pros and cons. The important thing to remember is that anytime you lift a vehicle the ride quality will be more stiff no matter what setup you run. Example, setting the Bilstein 5100 at it's highest setting will stiffen the ride because adds pre-load.
What shocks would you recommend buying for the rear? Is there much, if any, difference in lift size between the two types of lifts?
I haven't upgraded my rear shocks yet which is why the rear rides a bit stiff. The shorter shocks are limiting the travel. You could check on OME or Bilstein for the shocks.

Both are supposed to lift approximately 2" at the corners. It may be higher at first, but it SHOULD settle with a big emphasis on should.
Alright, I'm now getting a little confused I want to do... What would be the cheapest and easiest way to lift my path 2" and still remain a smooth ride?
PRG? OME? Bilstein? Rancho Quick Lift?

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:58 pm

MDA225 wrote:
madrock wrote:
MDA225 wrote: What shocks would you recommend buying for the rear? Is there much, if any, difference in lift size between the two types of lifts?
I haven't upgraded my rear shocks yet which is why the rear rides a bit stiff. The shorter shocks are limiting the travel. You could check on OME or Bilstein for the shocks.

Both are supposed to lift approximately 2" at the corners. It may be higher at first, but it SHOULD settle with a big emphasis on should.
Alright, I'm now getting a little confused I want to do... What would be the cheapest and easiest way to lift my path 2" and still remain a smooth ride?
PRG? OME? Bilstein? Rancho Quick Lift?

PRG is cheapest and easiest. Bilstein front/rear, with OME or AC rear springs is probably the most cost effective way that delivers the best performance. The cost difference is about half, about $300 compared to $600.

I'm not sure why the Rancho shocks are double the price of the Bilstein shocks. With the reliability of Bilstein, the quick lift shocks are priced out of competition for me.

From what I have read, most lifts improve the ride of our Pathfinders. The handling of bumps by the stock rear setup in my Pathfinder is horrible. I'm looking forward to fixing that.

MightyP

Postby MightyP » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Being the Off Road edition, my Pathfinder came with Rancho shocks from the factory, but I have no real attachment to them. I didn't realize until I looked around this forum that Bilstein was even an option. I'm definitely thinking about the Bilsteins with EMU springs now. I see pros and cons to both.

Bilstein/EMU option is about $450 for front/rear shocks and rear springs. But there is no stiffness adjustment.

Rancho Quick Lift is about about $560 for front shocks, rear spacers and rear airlift. Here, both front a rear stiffness is adjustable and my factory Rancho shocks in back should be fine.

madrock

Postby madrock » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 am

I've heard of guys on TitanTalk running the Rancho QuickLifts, and they hated them. They said that they wear down too fast which is the same complaint from those with the stock Rancho struts on the OR edition.

MightyP

Postby MightyP » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Good to know, madrock. Thanks. Now to talk the wife into letting me throw down $450 on a lift she doesn't think I need... :P

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 pm

You have to sell it as an upgrade to the suspension not a lift. (oh and by the way the upgraded suspension is 2" higher! Lol)

dmasini

Postby dmasini » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:38 am

Dumb question alert... I know the answer to this but since I haven't seen anyone do this (that I know of) I wanted to be sure. I should have no problem combining the PRG mini lift with the OME/Billsten lift right? Figure that should give me a 4 to 5 inch total lift for that one week out of the year I drive on the sand in OBX. :)

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:00 am

@ dmasini

If you combined the two lifts you would not be able to get the vehicle alignment into specs. Just going 2" the alignment specs are maxed out.

You could always go with the Calmini 5" lift. It drops the suspension mounting points down, lifting the vehcile, keeping the alignment specs the same.

dmasini

Postby dmasini » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:16 am

pawjr74 wrote:@ dmasini

If you combined the two lifts you would not be able to get the vehicle alignment into specs. Just going 2" the alignment specs are maxed out.

You could always go with the Calmini 5" lift. It drops the suspension mounting points down, lifting the vehcile, keeping the alignment specs the same.
Guess the question wasn't as dumb a I thought it was... Didn't even think about alignment. Haven't heard great things about the Calmini and don't really want to shell out the money. But it sounds like that would be the only way to fit 33's under the Pathy.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”