Exhaust Rattle

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

GbayPathfinder

Exhaust Rattle

Postby GbayPathfinder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:27 pm

I am not sure how many others on this site have had this problem. Nissan installs an absurd amount of heat shields onto the exhaust system and then mount more heat shields above the exhaust that are mounted to the underside of the body. The problem that I have had is that the factory clamps on the exhaust itself that hold down the heat shield have been breaking one by one over the past few months. When they break they cause an annoying rattle at various RPM.

It is an easy fix, I just took the old clamps off and went to the local parts store and replaced the factory clamps with 2.5 inch exhaust clamps. I have done 8 of them now, so hopefully I do not have to do anymore.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:59 pm

I just had this sound start recently and was finally able to pinpoint it to the stupis clamp on the passenger side. gotta pick up a replacement before I remove the old one. But the rattle is so obnoxiously loud!

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:11 pm

I had the same problem with one so far, but i used a hose clamp cause thats what i had laying around and its worked great.

Spanky66D

I have the same problem

Postby Spanky66D » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:54 am

I had the dealership fix mine, not a good job i will have too add more clamps, still rattles !!!!

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:58 pm

I cut mine off as they started rattling...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:55 pm

I don't think you even need that clamp, wouldn't it just cause wear on the pipe?

Mine was rusted right out, I took it off, and bent the heat shield out of the way. So its still there doing its job, but not causing that gawdawful racket any more...

t

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:06 am

I just clamped them all because some of them you cannot just bend off of the pipe. I wish Nissan had just never put them on in the first place as they already mount the larger shields on the underside of the body.

mikeG22NY

Postby mikeG22NY » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Has not happened to the pathfinder yet but my 06 frontier the factory clamps started rotting and rattling after 2 years. I am sure the tons of road salt they dump on our streets in the ice does not help the corrosion. I just cut off the culprits and replaced with hose clamps which have been perfect. The factory clamps are a little weak to begin with.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:09 am

GbayPathfinder: which replacement ones did you buy @ the auto parts store?
also, what tools are necessary to replace one of these clamps?

my wifes 06 path is doing the exact same thing, and she hasn't shut up about it, not that i blame her though(it is loud/annoying).
so i gotta get to fixing this soon. what's the best method for pinpointing the culprit? i can pretty much tell it's on the passenger side, but there are so many shields/clamps that i can't figure out which one is doing it. it also doesn't help that when i want to look at the problem ... the rattling doesn't happen :x

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:15 am

Has anyone tried tack welding the shields in place?

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:41 am

is this a problem that only happens to path's that are driven in snow? maybe the salt on the roads making the bolts rust.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 am

@webmastir
I just bought the standard 2.5 inch exhaust clamps. They cost like a $1.50. The only tool needed is a socket (14 mm in canada think that's 5/8 in the states) to tighten the clamp.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:55 am

GbayPathfinder wrote:@webmastir
I just bought the standard 2.5 inch exhaust clamps. They cost like a $1.50. The only tool needed is a socket (14 mm in canada think that's 5/8 in the states) to tighten the clamp.
oh ok. where was your problem located? passenger side middle area?

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:41 pm

webmastir wrote:
GbayPathfinder wrote:@webmastir
oh ok. where was your problem located? passenger side middle area?
Mine was in the cross-over section of the Y pipe.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:02 pm

I replaced the two clamps on either side just under the drivers and passenger doors. I have also replaced 2 on the drivers side pipe close to where it makes the bend to head into the muffler. I just replaced two more at the rear just before the tailpipe. Where I live in Canada they use a excessive amount of road salt in the winter, I think that is what causes it along with the temperature changes.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”