lift upgrade. what's out there?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

mtbpath

lift upgrade. what's out there?

Postby mtbpath » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:55 pm

I was considering lifting my 05 Pathfinder but do not know what options I have.
I know Calmini is taking pre-orders on their 5" lift. that goes for $1500.

what are my options and choices.
I do not want that monster truck look but something to separate from factory look.
mine is 4x4 so would I have to get new wheels & tires?
thanks

marked001

Postby marked001 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:12 am

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:17 pm

what about this company?
any thoughts?

http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfinder.html

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 am

NVSteve got his OME through Rocky-Road I believe. He also got some sliders custom built (for free) via them. Based off his experiences I would say Rocky is a good re-seller. Search for his threads.

If I remember correctly I initially tried to get my OME through them and either go no response or no real support so I ended up with 4x4connection. It wasn't a horrible experience but it didn't turn out to be good either.

Other than OME and the Calamini pre-order, the only options I know of are front springs by 1 or 2 places, and spacers (around 1") supposedly fit from Frontiers or Xterra's if I remember right.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:40 pm

blink32 wrote:NVSteve got his OME through Rocky-Road I believe. He also got some sliders custom built (for free) via them. Based off his experiences I would say Rocky is a good re-seller. Search for his threads.

If I remember correctly I initially tried to get my OME through them and either go no response or no real support so I ended up with 4x4connection. It wasn't a horrible experience but it didn't turn out to be good either.

Other than OME and the Calamini pre-order, the only options I know of are front springs by 1 or 2 places, and spacers (around 1") supposedly fit from Frontiers or Xterra's if I remember right.
Yep, I ended up getting the OME through Rocky Road. If you email them, only the owner responds to email, and he's a bit brief with his replies. One is better served by phoning them. I met the guys who take the calls & they seem to know what they are talking about.

That Calmini has been listed forever, and is pretty much vaporware. Their lift would be pointless without 35" tires, which is seriously taking things to the extreme. Without lockers and much better articulation, all that effort would be wasted on the Pathfinder. Unless one needs to satisfy the bling craving.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:02 pm

NVSteve wrote: If you email them, only the owner responds to email, and he's a bit brief with his replies. One is better served by phoning them.
Pretty sure I started off on e-mail, moved to telephone then back to waiting on e-mails. This was back before resellers even had the products listed in their books/systems. All I know is I was ready to pass them some cash once I had a total and they dropped the ball. But up until the end of communications everything was peachy.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:37 pm

is 1.75" lift a lot?
any other lift besides Calmini that does a higher lift?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm

mtbpath wrote:is 1.75" lift a lot?
any other lift besides Calmini that does a higher lift?
It isn't a lot of lift, but I believe (in my case) that it will afford me with a better ride overall, no more bottoming out of the rear, and that much more needed clearance to help up the few roads that have so far stopped me. You can't safely go more than a couple of inches with independent suspension as it creates too much strain on key components. There are only 3 other options that I know of:

1. A lift such as the Calmini, which isn't really much of a lift as it is a lowering of the drivetrain, which keeps it within safe parameters. The only "lift" you get is with the addition of larger tires, otherwise the ground clearance will be just about the same, but with more room to add larger tires.

2. Spacers-I believe I posted a link to a Titan forum that had some guy who put Frontier spacers on his PF. Looked pretty good, but spacers are not the way to go if you really off road.

3. A solid axle swap, which I have not seen nor heard of for the PF, but far from impossible. A lot of people do this to their rigs that have IFS, because they want the articulation that a solid axle gives.

I'm sure if you are willing to plop down 10-20k, that some offroad company specializing in desert racers would be glad to fabricate a nice front and rear independent setup.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:57 am

X2 what Steve says.

And I got more than the advertised OME lift. More like 2". Again, doesn't sound like much but prior to the lift it wasn't exactly hard to crawl under the Path and work, but post there is a definite ease to it now. Plus if your lifting you are most likely adding tire also. So 2" of lift + 2" of tire and you end up with 4" total extra ground clearance. Not too shabby to me.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”