Bump Steer

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Do you notice any bump steer while driving?

Never
23%
I've noticed it once in a while
35%
I notice it all the time
35%
It is extremely bad, making me question my own safety
6%

Total votes: 31

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:43 am

I'm now officially kicking myself because I didn't go with my gut instinct. When I originally bought the OEM, I kept telling myself to order up a few spare shocks, but never did. BIG mistake. I'm trying to track down some Rancho RS9000XLs right now, as they are listed as working with a 2" lift (only have 4.5" of travel, WTF). If not, I'm going to get some Monroe (gag) Reflex installed as a band-aid until I can get some replacement OMEs.

On a side note, I discovered that many people are saying the OME shocks are not as long as they should be, although I was not able to find any specs anywhere.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:04 am

You can always go with the Bilstein 5100 adjustable ride height front struts.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index.ph ... 723&zenid=

What's wrong with the OME front struts?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:18 am

NVSteve wrote:Okay, so I dropped it off to the alignment place again today and told them specifically what the symptoms have been. They called me up a few hours later and let me know my right rear OME shock was completely dead. I'm guessing from offroading. That would explain it.

Problem is, Rocky Road said it would take 4 weeks to get one in. Since I'll be heading off to Tahoe in 2 days, then to Colorado in 2 weeks, I really need to find something now.

Any thoughts on putting the stock Rancho back in until I can get a replacement OME? It obviously is not matched to the spring, but I'm thinking any shock is better than no shock, at least temporarily. I'd imagine the stock Rancho is a tad shorter, but even if I end up bashing the shock at full droop a few times, it should still be okay, right?

Desperately seeking some input on this one!
You'll be fine running the stock Rancho in the rear. The OME rear shock is the same length as the stock shock.

I compared them when I replaced mine.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:18 am

pawjr74 wrote: What's wrong with the OME front struts?
Nothing with the fronts. I'm just trying to track down something for the rear as 1 of my OME is dead. Every place I've called does not carry them in stock, so I guess I'm going with the Monroe until I can get some OME shipped in.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:19 am

Or you can use a Bilstein for the rear also.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/ymm.php? ... DER&zenid=

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:47 am

It had bad bump-steer when new, and the dealer said the alignment was fine by their weak standards. Took it to a professional alignment shop and set the truck exactly to the FSM specs and all was much better. YMMV...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:05 pm

I ended up with the Monroe shocks. They actually have more travel than the Rancho. I still can't find anything spec-wise with the OME & I'm really curious to see how the compare to the Monroe shocks now. Anyway, I'll have a few thousand miles on them in a few weeks. If I notice any negatives over the OME, then I'll order up some replacement OME. If they work okay, I'll probably just leave them in. I think I'd like to try the Radflo or similar in a year or two.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:16 am

NVSteve wrote:I ended up with the Monroe shocks. They actually have more travel than the Rancho. I still can't find anything spec-wise with the OME & I'm really curious to see how the compare to the Monroe shocks now. Anyway, I'll have a few thousand miles on them in a few weeks. If I notice any negatives over the OME, then I'll order up some replacement OME. If they work okay, I'll probably just leave them in. I think I'd like to try the Radflo or similar in a year or two.
Hey NVSteve, are you using the OME springs with the Monroes or the Monroe came with its own springs? I have my OME I'm willing to part with if you need them. Only have a few thousand miles on them since I replaced them with Radflos quickly after.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:33 am

rragpaoa wrote: Hey NVSteve, are you using the OME springs with the Monroes or the Monroe came with its own springs? I have my OME I'm willing to part with if you need them. Only have a few thousand miles on them since I replaced them with Radflos quickly after.
I pulled out the rear OME shocks & replaced with the Monroe. Did quite a bit of testing off road last week & they seem perfectly fine. Maybe a hair stiffer than the OME, but I think that's a good thing. Still like to get something else for the rear that has a bit more travel, but now I actually have a lifetime warranty as opposed to the 2 year OME warranty.

driftedoffroad

Postby driftedoffroad » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 pm

I used to have wicked bump steer a few months after I got my truck. (I do a lot of driving) Seemed to start when my tires started to wear down. I replaced the tires with terra grapplers and did the prg spacers and alignment all at the same time. After that it was all good...so unfortuantely idk what fixed it but I am guessing the alignment and maybe small factor of the tires.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Mine has def gotten worse over time. I'm hoping new/tires alignment here in the fall makes a difference. Maybe I should get alignment first just to see.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”