auto tensioner

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Kami

auto tensioner

Postby Kami » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:35 am

So was reading the service manual under "general mintainence" and on page 8 of 32 it says:
After 60,000 miles (96,000 km) or 48 months, inspect every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months. Replace the drive belts if found
damaged, or if the auto tensioner reading reaches the maximum limit.

How does one check the tensioner max limit? Need one those computer thingys to pulg in and read?

I ask becasue i saw another forum where ppl hearing like this "grinding" or "supercharged" noise, and so iam I :( And everyone replyed saying belt and or tensioner. So want to see if i need to replace it.

current miles=41000

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:57 am

Kami, i think the references to a "grinding" or "supercharged" noise is in regard to the cam chain tensioners wearing out (not the drive belt tensioner).
There is a Nissan Technical Service Bulletin #NTB09-128 that addresses it.
As far as checking the drive belt tensioner, unless i missed something in the service manual, i could not find any procedure for checking it, only guidelines for checking the condition of the belt.

Kami

Postby Kami » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:00 pm

eieio wrote:Kami, i think the references to a "grinding" or "supercharged" noise is in regard to the cam chain tensioners wearing out (not the drive belt tensioner).
There is a Nissan Technical Service Bulletin #NTB09-128 that addresses it.
As far as checking the drive belt tensioner, unless i missed something in the service manual, i could not find any procedure for checking it, only guidelines for checking the condition of the belt.
Awesome, thanks for that...So gona have to get dealer to replace it, also should i get it done asap or is it ok if i dont mind the noise much lol

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Kami wrote: Awesome, thanks for that...So gona have to get dealer to replace it, also should i get it done asap or is it ok if i dont mind the noise much lol
asap would be best :)
i don't imagine that whatever bits of material wearing off the tensioners can do your engine any good.
..........and it won't get any better on its own with additional time! :wink:

Kami

Postby Kami » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:39 pm

eieio wrote:
Kami wrote: Awesome, thanks for that...So gona have to get dealer to replace it, also should i get it done asap or is it ok if i dont mind the noise much lol
asap would be best :)
i don't imagine that whatever bits of material wearing off the tensioners can do your engine any good.
..........and it won't get any better on its own with additional time! :wink:
awesome thanks dude...and like always one (hopefully last hehe) question, would it potentialy be covered under waranty? I have a 60mths/75kmiles "platinum" waranty (US truck originaly with wartany extenstion to canada)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Kami wrote: awesome thanks dude...and like always one (hopefully last hehe) question, would it potentialy be covered under waranty? I have a 60mths/75kmiles "platinum" waranty (US truck originaly with wartany extenstion to canada)
i'd think so............
check your warranty policy, see what it has to say

Kami

Postby Kami » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:24 pm

eieio wrote:
Kami wrote: awesome thanks dude...and like always one (hopefully last hehe) question, would it potentialy be covered under waranty? I have a 60mths/75kmiles "platinum" waranty (US truck originaly with wartany extenstion to canada)
i'd think so............
check your warranty policy, see what it has to say
yea was reading it and mentioned stuff about camshafts and tensions stuff, but not the exact wording for cam chain tensioners, but will go in next week to dealer and hae them verify...again thanks very much for your help!!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:27 pm

you're welcome :)

trance34

Postby trance34 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:15 pm

eieio wrote: As far as checking the drive belt tensioner, unless i missed something in the service manual, i could not find any procedure for checking it, only guidelines for checking the condition of the belt.
FYI

Classification:
EM06-004a

Reference:
NTB06-072a

Date:
April 18, 2007

DRIVE BELT NOISE

This bulletin has been amended. The Service Procedure has been revised.

Please discard all copies of the earlier version.
APPLIED VEHICLES:
2005 -2007 Xterra (N50)
2005 - 2007 Pathfinder (R51)
2005 -2007 Frontier (D40)

APPLIED ENGINE:
VQ40 engine ONLY

APPLIED VIN:
Xterra: Vehicles built before 5N1AN(****)7C504897

Pathfinder: Vehicles built before 5N1AR(****)7C606132

Frontier: Vehicles built before 1N6AD(****)7C406414
APPLIED DATE:
Vehicles built before September 27, 2006

IF YOU CONFIRM:

A chirping or "squeak" noise is coming from the engine area, usually occurring at start-up in the morning-especially in cold or damp conditions.

OR

A squealing or chirping noise occurs when the vehicle has been driven for awhile (an extended period of time). Duplication of the noise may require operation of the engine for at least one (1) hour.

AND

In either of these cases the noise is heard coming from the drive belt.

ACTION:
^ Inspect power steering oil pump pulley alignment. Realign pump bracket if needed.

^ Replace the Auto-Tensioner and Drive Belt with the ones listed in the Parts Information section of this bulletin.

^ Refer to the Service Procedure in this bulletin for details.

IMPORTANT :The purpose of "ACTIONS" (above) is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the entire Service Procedure as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing the repair.

PARTS INFORMATION

CLAIMS INFORMATION

Submit a Primary Failed Part (PP) line claim using the claims coding shown.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Remove engine cover. Refer to the appropriate ESM if needed.

2. Remove air duct.

3. Install tool (J-46535) on auto-tensioner pulley bolt and move it clockwise.

CAUTION o not move it counterclockwise.

4. Remove drive belt.

5. Using a straightedge (or other equivalent tool) visually check the power steering oil pump pulley and crankshaft pulley alignment. The pulleys should be evenly aligned as shown in Figure 1. If the pulleys are not evenly aligned go to step 6.

^ If the pulleys are not evenly aligned go to step 6. If the pulleys are evenly aligned go to step 13.

6. Loosen three bolts holding heat shield to the right hand exhaust manifold. Push the heat shield out of the way and secure with a bungee cord or similar tool.

7. Looosen the front bolt on the power steering bracket attached to the engine block. See Figure 2.

8. Loosen the 2 side bolts on the bracket.

9. Finger tighten the front bolt.

10. Finger tighten the two side bolts.

11. Torque the front bolt 56.9 - 65.7 N.m (5.8 -6.7 kg-m, 42 - 48 ft-lb).

12. Torque the two side bolts 56.9 - 65.7 N.m (5.8 - 6.7 kg-m, 42 - 48 ft-lb).

13. Install new drive belt, auto-tensioner, and engine cover in reverse order of removal.

14. Install air duct and exhaust heat shield.

15. Check to make sure the incident has been resolved.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:44 pm

trance34 wrote:
eieio wrote: As far as checking the drive belt tensioner, unless i missed something in the service manual, i could not find any procedure for checking it, only guidelines for checking the condition of the belt.
FYI

Reference:
NTB06-072a

DRIVE BELT NOISE

APPLIED VEHICLES:
2005 -2007 Xterra (N50)

APPLIED DATE:
though this is very useful information, even though it does not involve any kind of inspection of the belt tensioner (only replacement of it in the event of a pulley alignment issue), it does not apply to the 2008 model, which is what Kami has

trance34

Postby trance34 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 pm

eieio wrote:
trance34 wrote:
FYI

Reference:
NTB06-072a

DRIVE BELT NOISE

APPLIED VEHICLES:
2005 -2007 Xterra (N50)

APPLIED DATE:
though this is very useful information, even though it does not involve any kind of inspection of the belt tensioner (only replacement of it in the event of a pulley alignment issue), it does not apply to the 2008 model, which is what Kami has
note release date.
Date:
April 18, 2007

Like you said, it is useful info to his question, hence the FYI. :)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm

trance34 wrote:APPLIED DATE:
note the applied date :wink:

Kami

Postby Kami » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 am

For the timing chain system on the R51, does it require thwe dealer to remove the engine or take it apart or it something they can fix under the hood? Basically where is the timing chain system located? just curious.

Thanks in advance.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:43 pm

beneath the front engine cover - a definite chore!

Kami

Postby Kami » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:16 pm

ok cool so its outside the engine block, alwasy though was inside the engine :)

was asking so i dont have to remove the wires i ran for the underbody leds for them to acces the chain when i take it in next week :)

Thanks

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”