Question about Technical Service Bulletins

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Question about Technical Service Bulletins

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:28 pm

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow and while browsing through the TSB's I found NTB09-145 (http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledg ... &catid=249) which describes how to replace the 2nd row cup holder located at the back of the center console. What I'm wondering is does this mean that Nissan will replace this item under warranty or are some TSB's just used as instructions for the technicians? The TSB does mention that the Nissan Warranty Flat Rate should be used so I would take this to mean it is covered by Nissan under warranty. Any thoughts?

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Here is my experience in this area:

Some time ago I broke the center console latch which also has a TSB. I brought this to the dealer's attention and they indicated this did not mean it was covered post warranty. I bought the latch elsewhere and replaced it myself.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:15 pm

bbermann wrote:Here is my experience in this area:

Some time ago I broke the center console latch which also has a TSB. I brought this to the dealer's attention and they indicated this did not mean it was covered post warranty. I bought the latch elsewhere and replaced it myself.
That's pretty much what I expected to hear so I've never even asked them about it, but if you read the TSB is tells them to use the Warranty Flat Rate code. That made it sound like it would be covered. I'll ask them about it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:22 pm

I need my cupholder replaced also. I'd be interesed in what they say.

Kami

Postby Kami » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Do you need to replace it if its not broken? Is it a new style holder?

Lost on this TSB lol

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Mine is broken :(

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Family used to own a dealership (not Nissan) but TSB's were used for all kinds of things. I recall some for explaining where to find a floor mat during Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). I'm guessing this one corrects or supersedes a repair manual procedure but I can't see the full document. Usually they reference WHY it's issued i.e "supersedes repair manual xxxx"

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:02 am

If you go to the dealership on a regular basis, just keep in mind that you can't play stupid after you hand them a TSB. I use the line, "I read some where on the internet..." when I bring it in with an issue related to a TSB i've read.

Although, I am close to printing one out and showing it to them. There is a TSB for a Power Intake Valve something-or-other. It's a butterfly valve in the air intake that vibrates in its mount. The fix is to glue it in place with 3M epoxy, but you have to pull the whole intake assembly off. When I brought it in for the "rattle" which I knew to be this problem. They assumed it was the timing chain tensioner and replaced that whole thing instead. Not that I'm going to argue with a warranty covered timing chain and engine flush at 50,000 miles.

So, play your cards carefully.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:04 am

myriad46 wrote:If you go to the dealership on a regular basis, just keep in mind that you can't play stupid after you hand them a TSB. I use the line, "I read some where on the internet..." when I bring it in with an issue related to a TSB i've read.
You lost me here. Why would I want to play stupid?

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:02 pm

If a dealership knew you were just hunting the internet looking for things you felt should be done to your car, because you found a TSB on it, they may have in issue with reapairing it.

Think of it like returning your steak at a restaurant. "Here comes the picky guy again." I wish things like this didn't happen. But being an "informed" consumer is always appreciated by businesses.

Sorry, that may not be any clearer.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Well I went to the dealer, but didn't get much help as far as the TSB's go. The service writer was not very helpful. I had another TSB for a different issue that we have and I brought it up first. He wasn't interested in reading it. He said that the TSB's are not for the public and he didn't know where I was getting them. I started to get irritated at this point because our Path has an issue and the TSB addresses it. I thought they might actually appreciate that we're able to come in with an informed description of the problem rather than some vague descriptions that don't accurately characterize what's going on. Of course they still need to verify that the issue we have is what the TSB addresses, but hopefully I've made their job easier and the problem gets fixed the first time.

Unfortunately this service writer didn't feel that way and tried to tell me that my problem was normal and not really a problem. I would have got back in the car and drove away if not for the fact that the dealer closer to my house has not been a whole lot better. I did ask about the cupholder TSB and the service writer just said no without even looking at it. I have a return appointment scheduled due to them having to order a part and I will be working with a different service writer so I will ask again and see if I can't get someone helpful this time.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:40 pm

myriad46 wrote:If a dealership knew you were just hunting the internet looking for things you felt should be done to your car, because you found a TSB on it, they may have in issue with reapairing it.

Think of it like returning your steak at a restaurant. "Here comes the picky guy again." I wish things like this didn't happen. But being an "informed" consumer is always appreciated by businesses.

Sorry, that may not be any clearer.
I understand what your saying, but I don't think I would be characterized as that kind of customer just yet. This was my first visit to this dealership. Besides, they get paid by Nissan to fix warranty issues. I understand that warranty work does not pay the same as non-warranty, but it pays more than no work at all.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:22 pm

I didn't say you were that kind of customer, but that's what the dealership sees. They reacted just like I said they would. Shopping around for a different service writer won't matter. I appreciate you helping me illustrate my point, though.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 pm

AZ_Path wrote:Well I went to the dealer, but didn't get much help as far as the TSB's go. The service writer was not very helpful. I had another TSB for a different issue that we have and I brought it up first. He wasn't interested in reading it. He said that the TSB's are not for the public and he didn't know where I was getting them. I started to get irritated at this point because our Path has an issue and the TSB addresses it. I thought they might actually appreciate that we're able to come in with an informed description of the problem rather than some vague descriptions that don't accurately characterize what's going on. Of course they still need to verify that the issue we have is what the TSB addresses, but hopefully I've made their job easier and the problem gets fixed the first time.

Unfortunately this service writer didn't feel that way and tried to tell me that my problem was normal and not really a problem. I would have got back in the car and drove away if not for the fact that the dealer closer to my house has not been a whole lot better. I did ask about the cupholder TSB and the service writer just said no without even looking at it. I have a return appointment scheduled due to them having to order a part and I will be working with a different service writer so I will ask again and see if I can't get someone helpful this time.
What dealership are you using? (I go to Earnhardt Nissan. I went to Power Nissan one time and left without leaving the car there...I wasn't impressed by them at all.)

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:40 pm

myriad46 wrote:I didn't say you were that kind of customer, but that's what the dealership sees. They reacted just like I said they would. Shopping around for a different service writer won't matter. I appreciate you helping me illustrate my point, though.
So are the TSB's not supposed to be viewed by the public? If that's the case, then their reaction makes more sense, but if not then it's just arrogance.

A different service writer has made some difference already. The service writer I originally had an appointment with was busy when I showed up so an available person took my information. That person was the one I described above. The writer who I had the appointment with later called me and said they would order a part and take care of the issue so he has been better so far.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”