New Member pondering Pathfinder or 4runner

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

yeziam

New Member pondering Pathfinder or 4runner

Postby yeziam » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Just signed to get some more info on Pathfinders as I continue to look for something to replace a lifted Rodeo. Although the Rodeo has been very good to me, it's getting up there in mileage and it doesn't have the creature comforts or the safety rating of newer vehicles.

The replacement vehicle would be dual use, a weekend warrior exploring and towing snowmobiles and boats, and a weekday short distance commuter (< 5mi) for my wife.

I've been looking at 2005 and up Pathfinders and 4runners with low mileage. Until I test drove a 4runner and a Pathfinder, I had my heart set on a 4runner. However, the Pathfinder seems quite a bit more spacious inside with a more refined ride. The 4runner seems a bit cramped on headroom (I'm 6'4") and had that bouncy/choppy SUV ride.

Any feedback is appreciated (e.g., pros and cons of the Pathfinder, things to look out for, etc.). Thanks.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:28 pm

I too was in your situation, I picked the pathy due to the bigger room for my 2 kids, the hp and I love it, no regrets, however if you do a lil more on the weekend the 4runner will have the aftermarket backup, as pathfinders is slowly getting up there.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 pm

we had a member called ByPath that couldve offered valuable input.

Pathy is due for a facelift sometime in the next 1-2 years, so there is no point getting a brand new one since they're all 90% the same.

dunno bout the 4runner.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:06 am

Welcome to the forums!...... Triffid

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:58 am

welcome

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01 am

mar1 wrote:we had a member called ByPath that couldve offered valuable input.
LOL he had some real good info alright :lol:

I think most of us here probably looked at the 4Runner and we are all Path owners for a reason. If you do get a Pathfinder do some more HW here and learn the common issues that can arise so you arent surprised/dissapointed if you find out after the purchase there is work to be done.

Also if a major factor in not getting a 4Runner is the ride quality I would have to assume that by simply replacing some suspension components like shocks and/or springs this can be resolved easily and for not to much cash either.

Good luck!

yeziam

Postby yeziam » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks for the responses and goodnatured welcome.

I'm digging through the forum now to be an educated buyer if we do choose the Pathfinder.

The ride of the 4runner isn't a deal breaker for me as I anticipate new shocks and springs in whatever we purchase. Also, my Rodeo rides like a Wrangler so either would be a huge improvement.

yeziam

Postby yeziam » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Well, I ended up picking the Pathfinder over a 4runner. I bought new because used car prices are really inflated right now; two years old and 30K miles wasn't worth the $4-8K in savings. Picked up a new LE fully loaded with the nav package.

I'll miss the Rodeo though.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:31 pm

good choice, and nice color.

congrats

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”