Goofy Climate Control

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Goofy Climate Control

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Ok first off this isn't my first rodeo with automatic climate control but either the system on the PF is just weird or mine is not working right. I've had this through winter and now summer and am not impressed with either way. Here's my biggest complaints and mainly I'm looking for sanity check. Do others work this way or is mine malfuctioning:

1. As soon as you start up it blows like crazy. All my other vehicles have started out with blower on low until either warm or cool air starts and then it kicks up the blower.

2. It blows like crazy until you manually change the temperature up/down. If I leave it at say 75...it will blow full-blast until I'm freezing to death and I have to crank it up several degrees to get the fan to go down to low. Then I slowly move the temp down to where it's comfortable being careful not to go more than 1 degree at a time otherwise it goes back to crazy mode.

3. So in the morning when it's nice and cool and I start-up, the temp is still set to 75 from the day before. Well now it's in mega-heat mode and it will boil me to death until I turn the heat down. 69 usually works in the morning.

So in summary I pretty much just have to monkey with the temperature all the time. I've started using manual mode but I have trouble keeping the windshield clear without going to defrost. It seems auto mode always kicks a little air to the windshield which is nice. Both of my other vehicles work fine. The Ody is a not the best hvac system either but I rarely move the setting more than a degree or too (usually 70). The Dodge is usually right on the money at 69 all the time. So am I missing something on the PF? I still have some warranty so I may take it in but it's about an hour out of my way and if it's "normal" that's a big waste of time.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Couldn't tell you, since ive had mine i have never used it in Auto, im assuming thats what your talking about. If not than yours is going CRAZY.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:45 pm

fullblower mode on mine too.

i keep it at a proper temperature setting for all weather, and turn the blower vents away from my face.

it always starts full blower mode, and gradually decreases once it reaches the correct temperature.

manual mode makes it a normal A/C

auto mode is meant for climate control and heats and cools as it sees appropriate.

there is a sensor for it just in front of your right knee when ur sitting in the car. check it for damage.

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:39 am

Yup full on mine as well and then just gradually goes down..

Maintains the temp fine..

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:20 am

Are you guys able to leave it on one temp? So last night heading home it was 75 outside and I had to move the temp up to 78 inside otherwise it was freezing me out. This morning it's a fairly comfortable 65 outside....I have to turn it down to 69 to keep from baking.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:37 am

yeah, well i live in dubai and coom1986 lives in abu dhabi.

we have 4 seasons here.. summer, summer, boiling hot, and summer.

i just keep it year round on 73

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:22 am

Well that's no help :lol:

Heat at night and A/C during the day is normal here! FWIW, the heater on this thing sucks once it drops below freezing. I had it on full heat at times last year and I was getting frost on inside of windows. I've had that happen on vehicles when it's -10°F but never in the 20's.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:43 am

skinny2 wrote:Well that's no help :lol:

Heat at night and A/C during the day is normal here! FWIW, the heater on this thing sucks once it drops below freezing. I had it on full heat at times last year and I was getting frost on inside of windows. I've had that happen on vehicles when it's -10°F but never in the 20's.
you think -10F is cold?

My heater works great at -40F. Not sure whats wrong with yours?

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 am

I'm wondering if the temp sensor isn't whack. IIRC in the winter I had to keep cranking it up to keep it blowing...and at some point I had to go to manual to keep the heat flowing. Like it thought it was 80 or whatever the high number is....but it wasn't anywhere near that inside. Seems to only get crazy when the temps are extreme...and yes -10°F is extreme. I recall having the door seals on a past vehicle that would contract so bad at that temp it would let air gush in. When door seals stop working....that's too cold for me!

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:04 am

First I want to say... "GO BUCKEYES!!!!"

Secondly, I have no idea, but I saw you were from Ohio.

You happen to live in NW Ohio?

I will put my temp control on auto and see what it does as I also have an '08.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:21 am

Nope, east of Columbus. I'm ready for football...but not the cold weather.

It seems to work better when the temps are more "normal". But when it's 90°F or below 30° it gets real goofy.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:01 am

skinny2 wrote:Nope, east of Columbus. I'm ready for football...but not the cold weather.

It seems to work better when the temps are more "normal". But when it's 90°F or below 30° it gets real goofy.
Was just in your neck of the woods in June, visiting Cummins. Very nice town! Went to the Italian place in the downtown, can't remember what it was called, but it was nice. Some street festival going on at the same time. Nice to see a small town thriving through this economic downturn, every other small town I visit in the midwest has many boarded up windows

The sensor for the auto climate control is located by your right knee. I expect that the temperature there is not always reflective of the requirements in the cab of the vehicle, as its out of the sun, and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of air circulation there, which could cause it to read high or low.

t

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:11 am

Due Amici? One of the more popular italian joints downtown. Our columbus office is only a block or two away so we hit that pretty often. Columbus and Cincinnati have done very well all things considered. Do you work around heavy equipment? I'm in Mining biz.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:18 am

skinny2 wrote:Due Amici? One of the more popular italian joints downtown. Our columbus office is only a block or two away so we hit that pretty often. Columbus and Cincinnati have done very well all things considered. Do you work around heavy equipment? I'm in Mining biz.
mcicoach.com

I work in sourcing for the engines, transmissions, and cooling packages. Also used to work in Heavy Urban Transit, city buses and the like.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:07 am

Cool. I like driving big toys. I'm in mgmt here but have gotten some seat time in D-11's and the monster liebherr trucks. Hope to buy/rent/lease a coach someday to travel the country. Figure an ex-tour bus should do the trick.

I think I will try to get this into dealer and complain. I have my doubts about them doing anything but considering that's about my only complaint through 30k miles I don't have it too bad. Well the suspension still isn't the greatest even with mods but that seems to be design as well.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”