rear springs

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVRDONE

rear springs

Postby NVRDONE » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:14 am

I wanrt to upgrade the rear springs with out an increase in height. Does anyone know if the Offroad springs are stiffer that the ones in an LE or where I can buy stiffer springs ??? I do have air bags.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:48 am

What psi do you run in the bags?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: rear springs

Postby NVSteve » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:49 am

NVRDONE wrote:I wanrt to upgrade the rear springs with out an increase in height. Does anyone know if the Offroad springs are stiffer that the ones in an LE or where I can buy stiffer springs ??? I do have air bags.
No, the OR springs are not any different. The only thing different between the OR & the rest is the shocks used.

I haven't seen any aftermarket springs out there that also don't provide a lift.

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 am

I thought the airbags gave you the stiffness or added ride quality you need without upgrading springs ? I'd check the pressure as stated above before putting more money into it.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:17 am

I normally run 20 psi with no load & 35 psi when towing the boat. I just get a "bouncy" feel when the car is loaded.
It really showed up on a run thru Nevada, Utah & Idaho with 3 adults & the cargo area loaded with coolers & suitcases. The car bottomed out more than once & there was about 30 psi in the air bags.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:24 am

This member just installed a set of these:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=3464

I imagine those bouncers plus the airbags would cover all bases.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:17 am

With all the people and the tongue weight of the boat...are you over gvwr?

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:19 am

Sounds like you had it loaded down pretty good, about 600lbs of human and 100 or so + of cargo. Next step I would take is upgrade the shock abosorbers if your getting a bouncy ride. That should take some of that play out in addition to those airbags.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:30 pm

macbell7 wrote:Next step I would take is upgrade the shock abosorbers if your getting a bouncy ride. That should take some of that play out in addition to those airbags.
New shocks really don't help the stock springs. I was bottoming out with a completely unloaded PF in town quite often. It sounds like the airlift is about the only thing that truly helps without getting taller springs.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm not sure but maybe the the Armada rear spring would be a little beefier. It may be worthwhile looking in to.

The Armada uses the same rear lower control arm/srping seat as the Pathfinder so I'm sure the spring would fit. I'm just not sure if it would be beefier or give the rear end more lift.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:33 pm

pawjr74 wrote:I'm not sure but maybe the the Armada rear spring would be a little beefier. It may be worthwhile looking in to.

The Armada uses the same rear lower control arm/srping seat as the Pathfinder so I'm sure the spring would fit. I'm just not sure if it would be beefier or give the rear end more lift.
Courtesy has the same PN for both... not sure though if that really means they are the same.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:50 pm

disallow wrote:
pawjr74 wrote:I'm not sure but maybe the the Armada rear spring would be a little beefier. It may be worthwhile looking in to.

Courtesy has the same PN for both... not sure though if that really means they are the same.
I use a collision estimating program at work and it shows they have different part #'s. I'll have to call and talk with the parts dept and find out for sure. I would think that Armada would weigh more and need a little stiffer spring. That is just a guess though. I'll have to do some more investigating.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:55 pm

pawjr74 wrote:
disallow wrote:

I use a collision estimating program at work and it shows they have different part #'s. I'll have to call and talk with the parts dept and find out for sure. I would think that Armada would weigh more and need a little stiffer spring. That is just a guess though. I'll have to do some more investigating.
Yeah I think Courtesy doesn't show the PN, but nissans group code for that part.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:57 pm

When you increase the psi in your air bags you're effectively increasing the spring rate. The problem is that when you increase the spring rate you NEED to increase the dampening rate of the shocks. That's why when I run 25psi and set my 9000XL's to 9 my Pathy rides & handles like a Z, well..... almost :wink:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”