4x4 Driving

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

srags104

4x4 Driving

Postby srags104 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:21 am

Hi guys, not new to the forum, but my first post.
I bought an 05 SE PF diesel, about a year now. Had a few things to get done, alternator pulley to change, front right boot rubber needed changing, changed the fluids (AT, engine, front and rear diff), and changed a seal in the transfer case since it was leaking. Everything's in order now, except for the 4x4 driving.

I use the 4x4 shift, either auto or 4hi off and on, especially when on hills and in rains. What I found and I was wondering if this was normal is the driving when cornering.

I don't shift on the fly unless I'm straight, but sometimes I end up in a corner while in 4wheel and I get a stutter on the driving, like a bucking feeling as thought there's a strain. If I'm doing this, it would be at a slow speed. Once I was in reverse from N, and got the same feeling. Is this normal? Should I not be cornering/cornering sharply while in 4wheel? Does the same also apply to reversing?

This is my first 4x4 vehicle and just want to make sure I'm not doing anything that will blow/break parts..
Last edited by srags104 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 am

Shouldn't be in 4x4 if there's not slippery surfaces. If it's bucking around when turning...there's too much traction and it's binding the 4x4. Not good.

srags104

Postby srags104 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:35 am

Well once I get the feeling, I try to straighten up, stop and shift back to 2WD.
So I don't drive like that for more than about 1min

What about the 4WD in reversing?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:58 am

I'm not clear on what you meant by reverse. You're just driving straight...backing up straight and it's binding?

I don't recommend doing any tight turning in 4wd unless it's very slippery (think snow or mud). I normally don't run in 4wd unless I'm slipping in 2wd. So if the roads are completely covered in snow or I'm on very muddy trails...then i'm in 4wd. Otherwise i'm in 2wd until I start slipping then switch over to 4wd. Otherwise when you cause binding you're jamming up the gears and axles which is not good at all.

srags104

Postby srags104 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

I think it's the turning part.
Probably too much turning with the 4WD on, in both forward and reverse.

I'll try to steer clear of that, esp if like you say, until I'm slipping.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:37 pm

just because u have a 4x4 doesnt mean u should use it all the time :D

im sure the average roads ur driving on can support normal 2wd car.

awake

Postby awake » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:40 pm

i know exactly what hes talking about.

just give it a shot and im sure youll experience it too....it happened to me on my X and pathfinder.

the scenario hes painting here is that hes driving in 4H, stops, and then turns near full lock to either turn around, or back up and turn as if hes backing out of a parking space.

both are things that would and could be encountered in normal driving in 4H. think about getting out of a snowy driveway in 4H and needing to back up and cut the wheel.

it is an interesting feeling....and its either a harmless albeit annoying happening, or its an issue with the car, and something that needs to be addressed.

if the car has 4x4 capabilities, you should be able to operate the steering from lock to lock without penalty. its not the drivers fault, its the trucks fault.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:51 am

Are you saying it does this in the snow/mud or just on dry? While it may do it a little bit in the snow/mud it shouldn't be really bad. It absolutely SHOULD do it on dry/wet surfaces as the system is NOT designed for that type of operation. Unless the system has a full-time option, most any 4x4 will jump and buck when doing this on a non-slippery surface.

Again: Normal (non-full time) 4x4 is not designed to be used on anything but a slippery surface.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 am

The truck will not turn well at low speeds in 4H and even worse in 4L. Its a fact. Deal with it.

Also, turning your 4H off and on to go up hills is pretty useless, unless you are in a low traction situation. One would then assume its snowing or something, so you can comfortably drive with 4H on, as long as you stay below the prescribed 60MPH it says in the owners manual. (a great tool by the way... :wink: )

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”