vibration..

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:09 pm

webmastir wrote:so im getting this at 45mph too. i was starting to think it was tranny related, but it only seems to happen at 45mph. if you accelerate or left off gas, it goes away...

how do you tell if it's the u-joint?
visual inspection and hands-on check for play in joints, check for any noise (klunk or klink or noise related to the driveline taking up any play or looseness) when just starting off in forward and/or reverse
4WD or no?
mileage on truck?

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:24 pm

eieio wrote:
webmastir wrote:so im getting this at 45mph too. i was starting to think it was tranny related, but it only seems to happen at 45mph. if you accelerate or left off gas, it goes away...

how do you tell if it's the u-joint?
visual inspection and hands-on check for play in joints, check for any noise (klunk or klink or noise related to the driveline taking up any play or looseness) when just starting off in forward and/or reverse
4WD or no?
mileage on truck?

thx for the reply, eieio. just 2wd ... 106k - 2006 path se

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:25 pm

eieio wrote:visual inspection and hands-on check for play in joints, check for any noise (klunk or klink or noise related to the driveline taking up any play or looseness) when just starting off in forward and/or reverse
4WD or no?
mileage on truck?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:43 pm

webmastir wrote:
eieio wrote:visual inspection and hands-on check for play in joints, check for any noise (klunk or klink or noise related to the driveline taking up any play or looseness) when just starting off in forward and/or reverse
4WD or no?
mileage on truck?
have you checked the tranny oil yet?
obviously, the tranny failure would be the worst scenario
but either way, if either is a problem, it needs to be determined & repaired right away
if it were mine, i would check the u-joints, do the by-pass, and while doing so, drain some trans oil (warmed up trans) into a clear glass container & inspect it very carefully for a milky appearance
if it looks OK, proceed with the bypass
if the u-joints are found to be the problem, do the transmission by-pass procedure & inspection anyway, as a precaution
by-pass is easy
transmission is expensive

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:55 am

ya. i just had my trans rebuilt on my other vehicle last year (don't want that expense again!). so you HAVE to drain some to find the appearance eh? i was looking all around for a transmission dipstick to at least check the level. how hard is it to drain just a little of the trans oil to inspect it?
& ya..noob question... if easy, how/where is it b/c there's not a lick of info in the owners manual :oops:

65Fastback

Postby 65Fastback » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:45 am

I'm not the one who diagnosed it for my car. It was during a test drive I noticed it when purchasing the vehicle from a local BMW dealership. I told them I wanted all 4 new tires to see if it would remedy it first. Which they did at their expense and problem wasn't solved. So then as part of the agreement, if the tires didn't fix it, they would have to find the problem and fix it. Guess they noticed it was the u-joint afterwards. Part of my plan to get free tires out of the car negotiatin :)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:52 am

webmastir wrote:ya. i just had my trans rebuilt on my other vehicle last year (don't want that expense again!). so you HAVE to drain some to find the appearance eh? i was looking all around for a transmission dipstick to at least check the level. how hard is it to drain just a little of the trans oil to inspect it?
& ya..noob question... if easy, how/where is it b/c there's not a lick of info in the owners manual :oops:
when you do the by-pass, some transmission oil will drain out of the bottom of the radiator, and the hoses when you disconnect them
that is when you can get a sample to inspect
by-pass instructions here:
click on link & scroll to bottom of page :wink:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... &start=165
you can also drain some from the transmission drain plug but quarts will come out instead of maybe a half pint
you can look at it on the dipstick, but the film of oil on the dipstick may be too thin to see what you are looking for
the owners manual has no info on checking the level or draining the trans oil, but it's all in the service manual (3rd "sticky" @ top of forum):
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2
Last edited by eieio on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 am

awesome info...thx Image

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”