Ideas wanted: gear storage

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

rlh2005

Ideas wanted: gear storage

Postby rlh2005 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:08 am

I'm looking for ideas on storing gear in the Pathfinder. Consider this a rehash of this thread.

I found a need to carry a bigger fire extinguisher and some other stuff and am looking to improve my gear stowage solution. The new extinguisher is 16" tall by maybe 6" diameter. The other new gear are a reflective vests, flares, first-aid/medical gloves. I want to have the fire extinguisher in a quick and easy to get to location.

I previously put the fire extinguish inside the Contico SUV Utility Box in the aforementioned thread. However, that is slow to get to and, if the Pathy is loaded, could be unreachable. I'm thinking of putting the fire extinguisher in the little netted cubby inside the left side of the cargo hatch. The flares, gloves, and vests would be in that area as well.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

----------------------------------------

Backstory: I'm of the opinion everyone should carry a fire extinguisher. Many years ago, a woman died near my home in a car fire resulting from a bad accident pinning her in her car. It was on the approach to a two lane bridge during rush hour and the responding units could not get through the traffic jam in time.

I came upon a car accident on my way home last week. It was at the signal/entrance ramp for I-95NB from US-1 in Fredericksburg. It was very fresh -- no police, fire, rescue on scene -- involving two cars. Being dark, I only noticed it because I was stopped for the light. As I'm waiting on the light, I notice an orange flicker under one of the cars' crumpled hood. I pulled over in a safe location, grabbed my then wimpy fire extinguisher, and ran back to the scene.

By this point another good samaritan (GS) and a tow truck had stopped. The GS was wearing a local career fire/rescue shirt so I gave him my fire extinguisher. The tow truck's extinguisher was dead and I knew my wimpy one wasn't going to do much so I ran back to grab the other extinguisher I thought I had. Unfortunately, I only had one but an ambulance had arrived and the GS grabbed its extinguisher.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:06 pm

I use various sizes of Thule Go Box. Unfortunately it looks like they are no longer available. FYI I got a stack on super mark down at various Marshalls/TJ Max/Home Goods.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”