Whining A/C compressor or clutch

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Whining A/C compressor or clutch

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:33 am

When my A/C compressor is online, it whines. The noise wasn't there when I picked the truck up at 28,000 miles, so it's degradation of a bearing or something somewhere. (No, it's not the cam chain tensioner...I've already been through that fiasco :P )

Pretty sure it's not the pulley since that's always spinning. And I just had plenty of A/C work done a few months ago; the compressor passed plenty of performance tests while still making the noise.

I'm thinking it's a bearing in the magnetic clutch or another component. Has anyone fixed this? How hard is it to replace or repair the cluch? Do I have to remove the compressor from the A/C lines to do it, or can it be done in place?

Since a new clutch is $140 my first step will not be replacing it as an experiment...

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 pm

This may sound silly but have you tried replacing your accessory belt? I thought that my tensioner bearing was gone but the squeak was actually from my worn out belt. I would try spraying the belt (with either WD-40 or Silicon lube) to determine if it is a worn belt causing the noise or if the noise is coming from the compressor itself.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Haven't yet, but that's a good idea. It's not so much a squeaky belt noise as a whine though. And it's a warbling bearing noise when I listen closely over the engine.

I'll try some belt spray stuff tomorrow and see what happens...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:13 pm

ShipFixer wrote: I'll try some belt spray stuff tomorrow and see what happens...
i use water
that way, it won't damage or compromise the belt in the event that you don't need to replace it

ChitownPathfinder

Postby ChitownPathfinder » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:46 pm

My truck was whining a couple of months back and it turned out to be a faulty oil filter.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:10 pm

ChitownPathfinder wrote:My truck was whining a couple of months back and it turned out to be a faulty oil filter.
I bet it was the muffler bearing....

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”