What octane gas do you use?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

What octane gas do you use?

49%
9%
15%
27%

Total votes: 88

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:22 pm

With gas price going up :!: I am sticking with regular unleaded just as I have done for the past 100K+ miles. As for the late model Pathy's, repeat as I just said. :D
Dont think premium is absolutely neccesary. Electronics help control knock and make the motor run without major power or performance loss.

CRXguy

Postby CRXguy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:51 pm

I fill up at Costco now, and it's a lot cheaper than the other gas stations so I just fill with Premium(91oct). Plus, I get better mileage.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:44 am

wish we had 91 in my area. we only have 87,89, & 93 in TN

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:08 am

webmastir wrote:wish we had 91 in my area. we only have 87,89, & 93 in TN
That's what we have here in OH. I've heard of some thrifty anal types mixing half 89 and half 93.... :roll:

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 am

The difference between premium and regular is about $23 a month for the average driver with a Pathfinder. Everyone has a different situation, but that's not a big enough cost delta for me to heavily influence my decision.

Between mileage and the engine dialing itself back I can tell a little difference. Well, maybe anyway. Definitely when I load it up with people and things.

I just run premium.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:55 pm

I run premium (91) with my pathfinder as I get better mileage while running premium then when I use regular

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:13 pm

09 Pathfinder and it recommends Premium but running 87 with K&N drop in filter we get

19 MPG commuting mixed driving
22-23 MPG highway depending on speed

Since we get such great MPG on 87 I wish the wife would run Premium only for 4-6 weeks and log MPG but that will never happen because she is a cheapass about some things. Seriously its only $3-4 more per tank but her parents do the same thing with their vehicles.

Kami

Postby Kami » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Any vehicle will always recommend the highest grade possible, as when doign their tests that going on their commericals and books they use the best fuel casue it will perform better.

Thats just my thinking and i could be completly wrong..lol

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Kami wrote:Any vehicle will always recommend the highest grade possible, as when doign their tests that going on their commericals and books they use the best fuel casue it will perform better.

Pretty much wrong. On a high compression engine you need the higher octane to get the most performance. Most will dial-back the performance with an anti-knock sensor if using less the optimum fuel. A normal compression engine should not see ANY change in performance/economy from a higher octane fuel. Some actually see lower economy. Many of the higher octane fuels also have some additional cleaners and such so that's a selling point. But unless the vehicle specifically "recommends" or "requires" premium fuel there should be no benefit if it's running properly to begin with.

Kami

Postby Kami » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:22 am

skinny2 wrote:
Kami wrote:Any vehicle will always recommend the highest grade possible, as when doign their tests that going on their commericals and books they use the best fuel casue it will perform better.

Pretty much wrong. On a high compression engine you need the higher octane to get the most performance. Most will dial-back the performance with an anti-knock sensor if using less the optimum fuel. A normal compression engine should not see ANY change in performance/economy from a higher octane fuel. Some actually see lower economy. Many of the higher octane fuels also have some additional cleaners and such so that's a selling point. But unless the vehicle specifically "recommends" or "requires" premium fuel there should be no benefit if it's running properly to begin with.
LOL :D

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:50 am

I would just like to say you americans suck for cheap gas! lol.
It's 90 cents a liter for you guys across in washington, give or take a penny, it's 116 cents a liter in Vancouver, BC.

I'm really contemplating loading some 20 liter jerry cans and doing weekly gas runs.
I wonder if the border guards will like that....

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:39 am

Rogue9 wrote:I would just like to say you americans suck for cheap gas! lol.
It's 90 cents a liter for you guys across in washington, give or take a penny, it's 116 cents a liter in Vancouver, BC.

I'm really contemplating loading some 20 liter jerry cans and doing weekly gas runs.
I wonder if the border guards will like that....
US gas is no cheaper than Canadian gas (generally speaking). The difference is the tax. Canadian fuel tax is 3X as much.

Sven1olaf

Postby Sven1olaf » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:09 am

With the amount of highway driving I do weekly and the increasing prevalence of ethanol in the lower octane mixes, I have been running pure premium (highest grade possible, usually 91 or 93 and NO ethanol).

If there is no premium available, I will only take as much lower octane as I will need to get to a known good station. I don't have any empirical evidence, but it sure does feel like the the engine enjoys the 91/93 more than any other octane rating.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Here are some of my results of 3 identical 202 mile trips:
Today with Shell 93 – 21.0MPG
2 wks ago with BP 93 – 20.3MPG
April 4, 2010 with half shell 87, half Kroger (grocery chain) 87 – 21.8Mpg

As for me, looks like 87 is best for this 2006 PF. Now when towing, premium may be the way to go. However, it seems 4th gear never goes into torq converter lock-up, so will premium still be the best route to take?

GeddyLee

Postby GeddyLee » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:37 pm

I hate bring back from the dead an old post like this, but I wanted to ask for my own sake, my 05 Pathy reads on the gas door like one of the photos above, it is "recommended" to use Premium Gasoline.

I had a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX/GTP, and I had to use religious 9*+ Octane to keep the Supercharger happy and to avoid knocking and pinging associated with lower octane gases.

My question is, is there a marked improvement in MPG on the 05+ Pathy's or does using 87 Octane obtain the same mileage ratio? I drove home to Louisville Ky this past weekend for Christmas, and the Pathy only averaged 18.7mpg for the entire trip. I was hoping I would have at least made the low end of the estimated highway average for our vehicle.

Any information or tips and trips to help improve mileage, even in the slightest would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”