Headlights/foglights lamp replacements

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Npath

Headlights/foglights lamp replacements

Postby Npath » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:59 pm

I'd like to know what everyone else is using regarding the subject heading.

I'm looking for replacements that is brighter than OEM and would not blind the sh*t out of the people in front of me.

I've thought about Silverstars cool blue.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:39 am

I purchased one of the most expensive sets of Silverstars, cant remember the name but they arent cool blue. And honestly I cant tell a difference. I think full headlight replacement is the only option and Im just not gonna spend that kind of money myself. Let me know if you go with cool blue and they help.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:40 am

BTW...I wonder if adjusting the aim would help

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:16 am

6000k hids will do you justice.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 am

Here's the problem: the stock cut-off (the part that keeps you from blinding folks on low beam) is way too low. Additionally, it cuts off the highbeams well below normal. I have cranked mine up to the point of almost annoying other drivers but it still cuts off way too short on high-beam and low-beam is still mediocre. I drive tons of backroads at night, up and down hills and I'm very dissatisfied with the lights.

While HID's will help with brightness, you're still going to get that cut-off that's too low even on low-beam.

I ordered new projectors and they're scheduled for delivery today. I'll try to install this weekend and I'm going to run normal lamps to start. My wife's Odyssey has projectors with regular halogen lamps (stock setup) and they're tremendous. I've got less than $300 in these projectors (i bought good ones too) so that's chump-change if I can see better. First 200# deer I don't see will cost me far more than that.

4timenissanowner

Postby 4timenissanowner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Skinny - where did u get your projectors from? If you could a link would be great.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 pm

http://www.carid.com/2008-nissan-pathfi ... 06068.html

These are the ones I went with. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend.

Npath

Postby Npath » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:42 pm

skinny2 wrote:http://www.carid.com/2008-nissan-pathfi ... 06068.html

These are the ones I went with. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend.
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to think it out and see which is the best way hearing that one hasn't noticed an difference. I don't plan to spend a whole lot of money, but adding some lights will also be considered.

BTW, I saw similar style headlights on an Xterra on the weekend. Too bad I couldn't see how bright they project.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:12 pm

Mount up a pair of Hella 500 and HID them. Plenty of light on demand!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:19 pm

skinny2 wrote: These are the ones I went with. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend.
By all means, post some pics of the install, before & after, etc. If this option will produce more light, then I'm interested. I saw the other thread about these posted by Kami? I think, but I never really paid any attention because it seemed like a "bling" thing (no offense to anyone). Now that I've actually read through that thread & this one, I'm very tempted.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:42 pm

NVSteve wrote:
skinny2 wrote: These are the ones I went with. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend.
By all means, post some pics of the install, before & after, etc. If this option will produce more light, then I'm interested. I saw the other thread about these posted by Kami? I think, but I never really paid any attention because it seemed like a "bling" thing (no offense to anyone). Now that I've actually read through that thread & this one, I'm very tempted.
Will do. I'm not a bling type either....but now that's it's dark on my way TO and FROM work....I'm really jonesing to get these installed. Pouring rain last night and couldn't see for shat.

Lights were delivered last night and appear to be very high quality. They have 3 small LED's and the Halo's...but I don't think I'll even hook those up. I might wire the LED's to run as DRL's.

I was asking a buddy about his Armada and he says the headlamps are great. I was looking at them and they have projectors from the factory.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:35 pm

skinny2 wrote:
They have 3 small LED's and the Halo's...but I don't think I'll even hook those up.
You definitely have to post a pic from the rear of the new assembly, as I'd like to see all the various wires & connections. I was wondering if they just dumped the halos into the same harness as the projectors or ??

Having CCFL for the halo has me guessing. I can't imagine they would last too long between the cold winters and scalding summers. I'd bet the temperatures encountered would be way out of operating spec for CCFL, if they are like any of the CCFL related products I've used.

Looking forward to your install.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:04 pm

They have separate hook ups for each. The projector bulbs have a typical bulb harness built into the housing. Should just be plug-n-play on those. The CCFL's have a two wire connection which runs through some sort of power converter. The LED's just have two straight wires.

GFremont

Postby GFremont » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Wow. You have me curious as well. I just dropped $50 on a pair of the Silverstar Ultras. The lights appear to be whiter looking but I'm still not sure about the performance claims. I'm anxious to hear how the install went and see some pictures. Thanks.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Well the lights don't fit. I think there must have been a small change to the 2008 model headlights because the mounting brackets don't line up. Looking around at other sites, they only offer the lights for 2005-2007 models. CarID shows it fits 2005-2008. I know there were some refreshes in 2008 but I wasn't aware the headlights changed. Also, the connector for the turn signal did not fit. The connector on mine is a triangle shaped 3-prong plug and the projectors had an oval 3-prong.

I at least did get my fog light replaced. It was busted by a rock awhile back. I ordered an "OEM" foglamp from Ebay for around $50 shipped and it mounted right up nicely.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”