My amp install.

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

My amp install.

Postby BMXPath » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:57 am

Interesting to see where everyone chooses to put their amps. I found the space under the middle seat in the 2nd row to be a great spot. Plenty of air space around it for ventilation.
Btw, it is on top of the hidden storage compartment. It only covers the longer of the two plastic doors, so I still have access to the compartment.

I used an "old school" PPI 3050 that I have had for like 15 years. Its a little scuffed up, and I hadnt used it in about 6 years, but it still sounds great! The amp is a 4 channel and measures 8x12.

Here is where I put my amplifier when I upgraded my stereo.

Last edited by BMXPath on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:26 am

Hey what did you use as a ground? did you upgrade any grounding points:
to engine to firewall?

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:40 pm

The only thing I grounded was the amplifier. I just put an "eyelette" connector on the end of the amplifier's ground wire and put it under a seat bolt to the body. It is on the lower left of the amp in the picture. Its kinda covered by the power wire conduit though.

The amp ground is under the bolt by the white arrow...

I still have the stock head unit, so I didnt mess with much of that except splicing into the speaker wires to convert to RCA cables for the amp.

I did run aftermarket speaker wires from the amp to the doors, a power wire to the battery, a turn on wire from the stereo to the amp. I didnt run any other grounds, or modify any factory grounds.
Last edited by BMXPath on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:41 pm

Hey BMX I didn't see anything about the speakers being changed out. If your running OEM speakers they are 2Ohm speakers so heads up.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Hey BMX I didn't see anything about the speakers being changed out.
I changed the speakers too. I started my audio upgrade by installing Sony Xplode series speakers in all 4 doors. Matter of fact, it was replacing the speakers that made me realize I would have to add an amp. Even though the Sony's were much better quality, 4 ohm just didnt produce the volume of the 2 ohm originals. It certainly rocks now. :wink:

Scot

Hey Fofiddy,
Btw... What is that white stuff all over your Pfinder in your avatar? :P

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Snow... how I miss it. It's snowed a few times but not enough to actually accumulate. Just alot of black ice so far. Some of my favorite driving memories have been rolling with a buddy after a foot or two drops and everyone is too scared to go out. Heck thats how you learn to drive... "If you can dodge a wrench". But there is nothing like wheeling out in the middle of nowhere after a fresh blanket of snow, setting the first set of tracks, talk about silence and a great time to blast the stereo :)
Cannon MT in NH has been dumped on lately 22" in the last 48 with snow in the forcast every day untill next week... a weekend ski trip might be in order. That and just so the shephard can have his fun bounding through the white stuff.
but I digress

I started the same way I upgraded the HU, then I figured speakers wouldn't be a big deal. Then I came to the reazlization that 18w RMS is nowhere near enough for the Boston Acoustic SLs, next thing you know there is a PLV-7 and Pioneer GM6300f and the tinkering with the idea of a center channel. It's like it never ends.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:13 pm

dang, wish those pictures were still up!

i'm getting ready to add a sub to mine...

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:05 pm

I kept mine bolted to the box.
theres really not a lot of room under the seats without ripping things up.
if you don't want the stock subs u can rip those out and hide the amp in there.
my subs are "removable" as much as 2 12's with box and amp can be.
so I chose to keep the stocker incase I need some bass for roadtrips. lol.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:11 am

Rogue9 wrote: ... theres really not a lot of room under the seats without ripping things up.
Depends on what you want to put under the seats...

I measured the space under the 2nd row and fit both of these without tearing things up too much. Granted, there isnt room for 1000 watt amps but these Kenwoods fit good.

Btw, my system has changed a bit more since I first started this topic. :wink:

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:02 am

awesome, thanks for putting the pics up! looks like a pretty good job, considering the (lack of) space.

that's exactly where (under the center) i was going to put my mtx 250w amp. but now i'm wondering if i should trade out and get something that's a little more compact to put there...

on the long term, i'll probably relocate the amp to where the 3rd row is, i'm planning on taking those seats out and building a box for that area so i can still have a semi-flat cargo area

richardekirby

Re: My amp install.

Postby richardekirby » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:14 pm

BMXPath wrote:I used an "old school" PPI 3050 that I have had for like 15 years. Its a little scuffed up, and I hadnt used it in about 6 years, but it still sounds great! The amp is a 4 channel and measures 8x12.

Here is where I put my amplifier when I upgraded my stereo.

Man that looks like an Orion GX280 that I had bought 20 years ago. I recently dug it out of the closet, blew the dust off it, and sold it in a garage sale. I'm sure it still performed flawlessly. It was the best 2 channel amp I ever owned.

BTW, nice install. I'm sure it sounds very good.

taz

Postby taz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:49 pm

I also used this area for one of my amps and my RF 360.2

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:17 am

I need help installing my amp.

Exactly what wires did you tap into for the remote wire and for the RCAs?

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”