Electrical Problem?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

gkb62001

Electrical Problem?

Postby gkb62001 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:45 pm

I need some help with this issue. I searched forum top to bottom and the service manual and can't find any related info.

I've had my 2005 Pathfinder for a little less than a year. I had, on three instances, the battery completely die on me. Just go dead flat. I noticed that right before it happened each time the radio flickered like it had lost power and then resumed normal function before the battery died.

The last time it happened. I pulled up to the house, the radio flickered like that, I shut off the vehicle and went inside. My wife came home about 20 minutes later and noticed that the lights hadn't turned off, so I went out to investigate/turn them off and the battery was totally dead by the time I got out there.

I took the battery up to O'Reily and let it sit on the charger overnight. It wouldn't hold a charge so I replaced it. I haven't had it die on me since, but now the radio won't turn off right away when I pull out the key... it takes it 10 - 15 seconds. Additionally, the headlights will intermittently not turn off.

Wanted to see if anyone had some ideas for me before going to a mechanic a paying through the teeth to have them chase down a possible electrical issue.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:42 pm

factory stereo?

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Yep, factory everything. It's the Bose stereo.

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:09 am

Well, I went out to leave for work this morning and it was dead again. I'm kicking myself for not double checking that the lights turned off when I came home last night, that may be the culprit.

Looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and take it in :x

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

gkb62001 wrote:Well, I went out to leave for work this morning and it was dead again. I'm kicking myself for not double checking that the lights turned off when I came home last night, that may be the culprit.

Looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and take it in :x
I once had a battery go dead on my in the car wash with my pathy. I was screwing around with the blower motor in the passenger seat area. (At the car wash because it was -25C outside). Suddenly my lights started flashing and I could hear all sorts of relays clicking. Disconnected battery, boosted it, and was on my way.

I have since replaced the battery, and have never had a problem since that time in the car wash.

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?

t

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Not since the replacement, but I'll give that a shot. Thinking about picking this up on the way home instead of taking the battery out and up to the auto parts store to be recharged.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:08 pm

gkb62001 wrote:Not since the replacement, but I'll give that a shot. Thinking about picking this up on the way home instead of taking the battery out and up to the auto parts store to be recharged.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr
Just buy a decent automatic charger with start mode. Cheaper than what you are looking at, and a heckuva lot more reliable!

Those booster packs only last a year or two, and they are never charged when you need them.

t

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Sounds like to me that you have something staying on after the key is off draining the power.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:27 am

Does your pathfinder have auto headlights? I know this may sound odd but I know a person who has a lexus that if they leave their headlight selector on the auto setting it kills the battery (even though the lights are off).

In your case what I would do is turn off the truck let it sit for about 5 mins and then go out with a voltmeter and put it on both of the terminals and watch to see if the voltage goes down. There should only be a minimal draw on the battery and it should stay around 12v resting. If the number goes down while your watching it you may have a draw (or a bad relay thats stuck open).

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:23 pm

I am having a similar issue (well kinda) my negative and positive terminals were/are loose similating a 'dead battery'. I haven't narrowed it down 100% as I was underway for two weeks and left the connectors plugged. Jumping it today I realized they were both loose. The negative battery connector is tightened all the way and still has slack so I will replacing that tomorrow. Just something to think about. I had a positive terminal come off in my 90 prelude once and it almost got me killed as it was night time on a busy stretch of road, as nothing works.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:57 am

valenburg wrote:I am having a similar issue (well kinda) my negative and positive terminals were/are loose similating a 'dead battery'. I haven't narrowed it down 100% as I was underway for two weeks and left the connectors plugged. Jumping it today I realized they were both loose. The negative battery connector is tightened all the way and still has slack so I will replacing that tomorrow. Just something to think about. I had a positive terminal come off in my 90 prelude once and it almost got me killed as it was night time on a busy stretch of road, as nothing works.
These terminals are CRAP!!! mine came loose again this morning, and the worst part about it is that it happened while my Wife was out with it doing some black Friday shopping with her friends. I got a call from her fussing about me not getting around to replace the terminals on it. Luckily she knew what the problem was because it happened to us once before. I tightened it down fairly good then but apparently the terminals NEED to be replaced. She said she poped the hood and gave the positive terminal a whack with her fist and it made connection :shock: It might be a good thing I wasnt there. LOL

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:55 am

Storm4.0 wrote:These terminals are CRAP!!! mine came loose again this morning, and the worst part about it is that it happened while my Wife was out with it doing some black Friday shopping with her friends. I got a call from her fussing about me not getting around to replace the terminals on it. Luckily she knew what the problem was because it happened to us once before. I tightened it down fairly good then but apparently the terminals NEED to be replaced. She said she poped the hood and gave the positive terminal a whack with her fist and it made connection :shock: It might be a good thing I wasnt there. LOL
Agreed that they warrant replacement, all Japanese cars I've owned had crappy battery terminal clamps.

On my pathy, I used a nail between the post and the terminal clamp. That allows it to be really tight. Haven't had an issue since.

Good temporary fix, but I think it might be my permanent fix.

t

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:55 am

I've been wondering what the heck is all the crap, plastic, covers, etc all over the battery terminals on our Pathfinders... I find it so annoying that you can't really get a good cleaning in on them. Are there fuses or relays in those caps? If not, I'll have ZERO issue cutting that crap off and placing some nice marine grade terminals on there.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”