Trunk noise

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

pathology

Trunk noise

Postby pathology » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi, my trunk makes a clunking noise, a lot, when I'm driving. Is there a typical rattle associated with the latch/trim/window or something, that I'm not finding by searching?

Cheers, Al.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Make sure that the rear trim panel on the hatch is tight. It is held on mainly by plastic clips that can come loose. If it is loose just hit the spot were it is loose a few times and the clip should go back. Thats what I would try first.

pathology

Postby pathology » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:27 am

OK, so I've narrowed it down to the latch. Put a little lube on, and it was completely silent for 10 miles, then started again. I can move the trunk a little with my hands when it's open, and it makes the same noise. How do I adjust the trunk to fit better? Any help appreciated, this is (to quote a pirate) 'arrr, drivin me nuts'.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 pm

when u open the rear hatch, check the 3 screws on the lock if they're tight enough.
if they are already tight, loosen em, push the lock back, and retighten.
if the sound still doesnt go away, consider changing the rubber trim.

pathology

Postby pathology » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:48 am

So... I cleaned the lock out completely, and fully re-greased, then undid all the screws (lock and latch) and adjusted. Then I noticed that the rubber trim was under the rearmost plastic molding, so I re-seated everything, and hey presto, it's quieter than a cat in a kennel. Thanks!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”