SNOW TIRES

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

canadasnow

SNOW TIRES

Postby canadasnow » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Folks,

I wanted to send this out for those of you in the search for a perfect snow tire for your pathfinder. I recently had 4 Bridgestone Blizak's installed on my 2009 Nissan Pathfinder.
I must say what an amazing tire. I live in the very far north of Ontario and these things have surprised me. I have been in snow packed bush/ice and on roads slick with slush. I have not seen my 'slip' light come on at all....i got it to go on once in the snow but i really had to try....end result....i would trust my truck in alot of conditions and would not hesitate to drive through any storm

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:23 pm

I've had Blizzaks on several vehicles and they're pretty awesome..particularly ice. Wife has them on her Odyssey. My only complaint is the dry traction isn't that great particularly when it warms up. Can't go wrong with them up north though!

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:19 pm

you must be in in the NE part of Ohio. I grew up in NW ohio and never had a need for snow tires.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:55 pm

Actually I'm central/SE area. I have a couple very steep hills to get up that FWD will not climb without snow tires. Lots of hilly rural roads that they don't salt. It snowed about 4" Monday and these back roads were still icy in spots yesterday.

asgard

Postby asgard » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:09 pm

I am looking at the DMV1 ,ice X2 from Michelin and the Nokian WRG2 as it is rated all weather plus - it has the snow flake symbol and is seemingly better when temps rise but still cold at night.

The Michelin fairs well in tests and has a 60000 km warranty.

seems silly that the dealers never have tire/wheel packages for the Pathfinder - well not in Eastern Ontario - if anyone knows different please let me know.

Any comments on the other two tire mentioned.

Did you stick with the 17 inch rim?

canadasnow

Postby canadasnow » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 am

Hi,

I went with a 16" rim. Costco is your best bet for cheapest prices on the x-ice and blizaaks. I had to special order them in as they are an odd sized tire.
I have read that the X-Ice's are good tires as well, but have not tried them to date.
What i do know is taht the Blizaak's i have are amazing. We had a major storm here the passed few days and i felt safe and never slipped once.

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:47 am

Well I ordered my snow tires today, i have gone for the Michelin Ice X2 on 17 inch steel rims. I never have any trouble with the BF long trail in snow but they lack grip on deep slush and ice.

Michelin offer 60000km warranty so that should last a few years .

Don't you just love the winter

canadasnow, did you have to change the lug nuts from OEM , I assume the steel rims you got from costco are from the same source as mine.

On the Costco deal, I could get the tires 17 inch but they said no wheels, once I priced wheels from another source they were not as competitive as the tire depot - and further away. I didn't ask about the 16 inch.

will report back on performance of Michelins.

canadasnow

Postby canadasnow » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:20 am

Hi Asgard,

80cm snow the last few days and i used my pathfinder on my 2 neighbours F150's to get them unstuck :)
Only slipped a little but was successful.

I never changed out my lug nuts, i used the same ones that where on my factory rims. I coated my rims and lugs with 'RUST CHECK' in a can from Canadian Tire. This will protect them from the salt and corrossion. I would suggest doing the same.

Let me know how the Michelins work out....

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Just had the Michelin's fitted and they seem very smooth, tried up to 100 kph no obvious wandering . On ice test hard stop - performed as advertised.

Should I have a light on to show no TPMS , I don't think they fitted them - if they did great but i can't see it on the bill.

canadasnow

Postby canadasnow » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:05 am

my TPMS light took a day or so to come on. When it did, it flashes about 4 times on start up and remains on solid.
I doubt you got fitted for TPMS sensors on your new rims as i think they are an extra $60.00 a tire and would have costed you a fortune.
the computer must take some time to process the missing TPMS sensors on your new rims, but i am sure it has come on by the time you receive this back.
Glad to hear you enjoy your tires...pathfinders are one of a kind in snow.

Confiteor

Postby Confiteor » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:54 am

I'm looking to pick up some cheap spare wheels from a scrap/breakers yard to put on my 2005 Pathfinder over winter. I'll either use the tyres/tires that are already on them or buy some cheap winter tyres.

Never done this before. Anything I need to look out for? Car currently has 17" six-stuff alloys.

Can I use 16" steels, for example?

asgard

Postby asgard » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:29 pm

16 inch wheels will fit Tirerack.com or canadasnow will give you info .

I just changed to winters - sorry to everyone - I knew this would happen the minute i bought them. we have had very little snow in eastern Ontario and now I have them it snows all day.
I went for the 17 inch wheel and tire as I intend eventually to put the winters on my alloys and buy an 18 inch upgraded summer wheel and tire package.

Confiteor

Postby Confiteor » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:15 am

Thanks. Struggling to find any with matching stud pattern -- 6/114.3mm, I believe.

I rather naively thought any six-stud 4x4 wheel would fit. Never that simple though, is it?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”