What to do about the buzzing in my head?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:31 pm

old parts pics are up & a comparison of old vs new chain pics :D

65Fastback

Postby 65Fastback » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:37 pm

I called up 1800Nissan1 about this issue just the other day after I read this topic. Seams like I have seen a few people complain about this and I know when I bought our 06 w/ 39K on it, I thought it ran a little rough at idle and maybe that it was out of balance. I bought it anyways thinking this was just the way the cars ran, surely a Nissan wouldn't have anything wrong with it... ha But lately I have been concerned and then read this article which makes my assumptions true. Has anyone else out there contacted Nissan about this? Car only has 63K on it and I want to see it run to 300K one day.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 pm

The rough idle doesn't really have anything to do with the premature guide wear, it sounds more like a buzzing/whining sound while accelerating (if you've ever heard a supercharger it's similar). I didn't bother fighting this problem with Nissan consumer affairs, the dealership discouraged me because of (1) I bought my Pathy used, 1yo w/13k miles and (2) I perform all of my own service with non-Nissan parts/fluids, oil every 6k w/Royal Purple & K&N filter and (3) it currently has over 70,000 miles on the odo. They gave me a total cost of $1600 to do the work.... I've done timing chain work before, but I was a little nervous because this is my primary vehicle, so I decided to perform the work myself and spend $200 in parts & materials. Although I have recently opened a case with consumer affairs about my fuel level sending unit throwing a code. There are recalls on this issue but not for my VIN# and since it's an obvious safety issue I want them to fix it. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed about having to spend my Labor Day weekend repairing my 5yo 72,000 mi. Pathfinder..... but, atleast I know it's done right.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:33 pm

My fuel sending unit went bad at about 42k miles. Luckily I had Nissan's extended warranty so it only cost me $50.00. I had bought my truck brand new so I called Nissan Consumer Affairs to see what they would do. I explained to them that I bought a Nissan so I wouldn't have to deal with stuff like this on a car that only has 42K miles. I was only asking for my $50.00 deductible to be re-imbursed as I felt this should be covered under the powertrain warranty. Obviously we all know that they are not covering it under the powertrain warranty. They wouldn't do anything for me.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:06 pm

^^^ CRAP..... soooo, I guess I'm wasting my time with the sending unit. There's $75 to courtesy parts for a sending unit and another project to do.... great :roll:

65Fastback

Postby 65Fastback » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:23 am

I just had my sending unit replaced for free from a local dealership here in GA even though it was not connected to a VIN. I called up consumer affairs, told them my issue, they knew there were recalls. I set up an appointment at the dealership and they fixed it for free even though out of warranty and not connected to a VIN recall. They called it a "courtesy fix" or something to that effect because they know there is a problem. Basically what the dealership said was Nissan found the problem during production, changed suppliers, so not all VIN's are connected to the recall, however w/ the guy I worked with at the service bay said that to him, that's horse shit b/c if there's a problem, Nissan needs to fix it. I think he helped push it through. So instead of a $600 fix, it was free. Nissan reimbursed him.

Now as far as the whining, my does not whine. I thought the wearing of the guides issue was what was giving my car a small vibration at idle. I never drive the Pathfinder, (my wife's) but on the small occasion that I do when we grab a bite since it has the baby seat in it, I can feel the vibration. My wife says her '05 had the same thing. Basically I feel it when it's at idle. If I have my hand on the steering wheel at a stop light or parked, then extend my finger right under the speedo gauge visor, my nail will vibrate along with the dash. To me, this feels funny. Never had it in any of my other cars. Do all you guys out there have this same slight vibration feeling?

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:08 pm

65Fastback... that's good to know that they might do a "courtesy fix" on my sending unit, my guage took about 15 miles to read full after a fill-up this morning. As far as any vibration, I have enough at idle that a empty plastic water bottle sitting in my cup holder was rattling slightly while sitting at a stop light today. I don't think it's as severe as you describe though :?

65Fastback

Postby 65Fastback » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:59 pm

I hope it's of no concern, it's just something I noticed. I had an '01 Xterra but my Dad started driving it in '04 so I can't recall if that car had a mild vibration to it or not as well. Since my wife said her '05 had it too, I guess it's just a normal Pathfinder thing but I think it's odd...

4timenissanowner

Postby 4timenissanowner » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:03 pm

My whining noise started a month ago and I took it to the dealer today and they need to replace the timing chain tensioner. I have a 2007 with 24,600 on it. Has anyone who has had this done have the noise return? I have read on other forums that the sound has returned but most of the work was done in 2008.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:51 pm

From what I understand, is that the earlier repairs were done with non-updated parts.... therefore I'm sure they will eventually fail. The most recent parts have changed, if it's for the better I don't know. If you look at my pics then you can see and obvious difference in the chains outboard links, the new ones have more contact area. But I'am conviced that it is an engineering screw-up, the tensioners should NEVER be placed to the inside of a timing chain, the fact that they are pushing out against a surface that has "teeth". The way that the chain is designed is that those "teeth" spread somewhat when the chain is flat help reduce the sawing of the nylon tensioners. But the engineers seem to have forgotten that the tensioner is pushing out on the chain causing a BEND in it therefore causing the "teeth" to re-align and reduce suface contact area. I'm not an engineer, but I do have some common sense... through my experience of repairing my Pathfinder this is what I observed.

Facevedo17

Postby Facevedo17 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:01 pm

sorry to bring this back but sounds like a problem Im having , we bought our 05 Pathy used and within a couple of weeks that whining noise began. I try sprying with lube for the belt at idle it would quite down but when I started to drive and accel just made it worst.. regardless I took it in to the dealer and they did maintenance didn't cost me a dime as I spoke to the sales man what car are you selling me they try to tell me because it was cold it needed to run and warm up BS.... by now I forgot what they replaced I have to find the service reciept .
that was done at 35k know im at 71k and the same noise is back just wondering if its the same as the problme in this post ...Im going to have them check it and if within my pockets let them fix it if not shop elsewhere...

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:43 am

Facevedo, The problem you have is most likely the belt auto tensioner. I replaced my belt tensioner at 50K, it's a simple fix, there is only 1 bolt that holds it on. Best I remember the tensioner is less than $40 plus it's probably a good idea to buy a new belt too (about $20). The timing chain tensioners are a different sound an sound alot like a supercharger and is an expensive repair.

Here is an YouTube vid of the timing chain sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6J444x34bw&NR=1

4timenissanowner

Postby 4timenissanowner » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Well I thought it would be a good time for an update on my timing chain tensioner. I took it in to be repaired and 10 days later I got it back just to find out that they botched the job. According to them when they replaced the tensioner and started the truck it jumped time and bent 6 of my valves. So, when I got it back the valve were tapping like crazy, so I took it back and they said they needed to order different shims to adjust the valves. Well this happened 3 more times until it finally got quieter but there was still a slight tap when accelerating so I took it back again on the 6th of December and got a call today and they told me they couldn't find anything and decided to remove the heads and they found a crack on one of the valve guides that they said the machine shop missed when they inspected the heads, so they are gonna repair and I hope this fixes the problem once and for all. I will let u know what happens when I get it back. I am on my 4th different loaner from the dealership, but I must say they have been very nice to deal with, not like my previous dealership experiences.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Good to hear that they are getting your Pathy right (eventually). I can understand that it's a pain, I hate driving loaners.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:44 pm

I had a question about the parts list and I figured I'd post it here for every one to see the new TSB parts list (shoe/chain replacement).

2- 13028-ZK01C : chain-camshaft
2- 13097-ZK01C : tensioner face
2- 15066-2Y510 : seal- o ring
2- 15066-5E510 : seal- o ring
1- 13510-7Y000 : seal- oil crankshaft
1- 999MP-1217HP: threebond 1217H

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”