Wont start when cold outside..

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

freak2180

Wont start when cold outside..

Postby freak2180 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:11 am

My wifes (stock) 07 has developed the issue of refusing to start when the temps drop below 35* outside. This issue has onny happened 3 times, and is very annoying when shes leaving for work and Im 500 miles away at work and cant help her out. It will turn over the engine but will not start. She will try about 5 or 6 times......sometimes it will start, but dies almost imeadeatly ( during this process she mentioned removing the key from the ignition and replacing it) :? . Once its running it drives like normal and as if nothing had happened.......also there are no check engine codes present or stored. Any help would be awsome guys.

thehumphries

Postby thehumphries » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:23 am

I'd check battery, water levels in battery (if you can), and then i'd check terminals for erosion.

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:38 am

The battery is fine......it was the 1st thing I checked last time I was home. The motor turns over just fine, it just wont start. I have 2 ideas in my head, but I wanna see what everyone else thinks. It seems that what ever the problem is its deff temp related. The last time I was home we drove the Pathy everywhere for 2 or 3 weeks with no issues, next thing ya know my 1st day back at work and the things throwin a fit again.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:52 am

+1 on a probable battery or battery terminal connection issue
is the battery the original that the truck came with?
typically (usually), OEM batteries seem to last 3-4 years

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:54 am

I would start by replacing the fuel pump relay.
Also, have you had the fuel pump / sending unit recall done ?
I had my pump replaced 3 times before the dealer got it right. The car would run out of fuel still showing 1/4 tank.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 am

+1 on checking the relay, but I doubt its temperature related.

35F is not even close to being cold. Its been well below -10F here and my 05 fires up every time. I don't plug in my block heater until below -15F.

t

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 am

I was under the impression that the fuel pump/sending unit recall was on 05/06 year models .....mine is a 07. I havent noticed anything strange with the fuel level gauge. and it moves freely with no bouncing or jerking when filling up or driving. I have run it till the needle was sitting on the pin and the DTE was flashing --- on the dash<--------this has only happened twice as I/my wife trys to fill-up (with premium..seems to give the best fuel economy) at about 1/4 tank. I will check the fuel pump relay when I get a chance. Any place to get a printout of what is what in the relay panel.......Seems Nissan saved a few bucks by leaving out the useful info normaly printed/molded into/onto the cover.

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Wife just called and said it started with no problems when she went to lunch.......also mentioned that it has warmed up outside to lower 40's. Im still thinking that somthing just dosent like the cold weather......sucks to be so far away and not have access to it.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:25 pm

a weak battery will perform better after being in use for a period of time, for example driving to work, having had a chance to freshly recharge during the drive.
after being at rest (parked) for a lenghty period of time, say overnight or for a few days, it may not have what it takes to start the engine (though it may still activate the starter motor normally).
also, the colder an engine is, the more battery energy is necessary to get that engine turning, so driving to work may have warmed the engine up enough to allow it to turn over more easily.
in other words, the drive to work may have temporarily alleviated the symptoms.
your problem may indeed be temperature related, but IMO, for the above reasons.
FWIW: both of my R51 batteries (2 trucks) showed the same symptoms prior to failing (approx 3 years each). :wink:
the Optima Red Tops work great!

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:26 pm

I understand what cold weather does to a battery and this issue has none of the symptoms of it. The motor turns over just fine and normal at that.......It just wont start and run.....then when it does start it will die once or twice before it finally stays running. All of this happens only when its extreamlly cold ( according to a Texan's standards ) which is around lower 30's. I guess I should have mentiond before that it did it to me Once also, but started and stayed running on the third try. The battery has been tested under load and shows to be in great condition and has no signs of leakage or corossion build up at the terminals. If it was a bad battery it would have taken a crap before now since the 1st time this happened was last March. I know I will catch crap for letting this go for so long, but outa sight outa mind..........If it happened more offten then I may have remembered the issue before now.

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:38 pm

is the battery the original that the truck came with?
typically (usually), OEM batteries seem to last 3-4 years

No its not.......It is a dealer/factory battery, just not the one that it rolled out of the factory with. I had it replaced by the dealer when we bought it used with 16,000 miles at the end of 07. The one that was in the truck was not original and was bairly large enough to start the engine.

I would suspoect the battery if it showed signs like slow cranking, ticking of the starter at start up, or dimming lights, rappid clicking of relays, but none of these symptoms have occured. When it happens (only 4 times now since last March) it acts as iff its not getting fuel or spark.

thehumphries

Postby thehumphries » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:45 pm

I had this same issue no more than 1 month ago when I arrived back home from a flight. While sitting in the parking garage my terminals had eroded just enough to where my car wouldn't start but turn over, or if it did start as soon as i put it in drive, it would die. I didn't even see the erosion it was in a hard to see spot.

Otherwise, next best bet i'd say is fuel pump/relay. Best of luck

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:00 pm

While I am only an owner of a PF for a yr now and can say nothing about the failure rate… I was thinking of the motor temp sensor that the computer reads to adjust the air/fuel mixture requirements since we no longer use a manual choke. This can be read by a diagnostic gizmo the mechanics use. Just a thought, not sure how relevant.

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Just wanted to update evreyone with this issue. It happened again and this time it gave every sign of a dead battery. I got a jump and headed to Vatozone to get a new battery and she ran like crap he whole way there. Had the guys test it eventhough I purchased a new one, and they said it was deff trashed and was suprised it even made it there. I had mixed feelings about the first place that tested it and should have just trusted my gut. I just wanted to apologize to all that tried to help while I was being a dums a$$.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:27 pm

:wink:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”