Rear Door Locking

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

bbermann

Rear Door Locking

Postby bbermann » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:17 pm

Hey-

Recently my rear door (as Nissan calls it) has quit locking. This also goes for the rear glass. When I press to lock button I hear it actuate and the other four doors lock but the rear does not.

I am guessing I just need to replace the rear lock but am a little confused since I hear it doing something when I press the key fob button. I am also a little confused because the the glass as well as the door/hatch are not locking-is this the same mechanism?

I would just order the part and dive in but electronic parts are not returnable so it would be great to have your feedback.

Thoughts?

Npath

Re: Rear Door Locking

Postby Npath » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:54 am

bbermann wrote:Hey-

Recently my rear door (as Nissan calls it) has quit locking. This also goes for the rear glass. When I press to lock button I hear it actuate and the other four doors lock but the rear does not.

I am guessing I just need to replace the rear lock but am a little confused since I hear it doing something when I press the key fob button. I am also a little confused because the the glass as well as the door/hatch are not locking-is this the same mechanism?

I would just order the part and dive in but electronic parts are not returnable so it would be great to have your feedback.

Thoughts?
First thing I'd do is remove the plastic cover and look at all the mechanisms. I think something is bent jammed or bent. Have you removed the cover for the emergency escape? Look in there and see if there's anything not right.

From what I can remember, take out the First Aid kit and remove the screw or screws. There is at least 1 screw on the bottom of the door, remove that. From there, pull off the cover as I believe the rest are snap on's.

fresnoDave

Postby fresnoDave » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:59 pm

first thing I would do is lubricate the mechanism. A lock spray with graphite is best, but wd-40 will work also. Many lock problems are solved with just a squirt of lube.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I was just out there and hit it with some WD-40 and also confirmed proper operation of the manual locking system with that lever in the hole on the door. Everything looks normal.

No luck.

As I analyzed the situation a little more carefully the unlock seems to be operating fine and only the locking function is not working or actuating at all when I double press the lock button on the remote or try the lock button on the driver's door. I haven't gone as far as taking things apart yet.

Does that give anyone any other ideas as to what my fix might be?

Npath

Postby Npath » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 pm

bbermann wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I was just out there and hit it with some WD-40 and also confirmed proper operation of the manual locking system with that lever in the hole on the door. Everything looks normal.

No luck.

As I analyzed the situation a little more carefully the unlock seems to be operating fine and only the locking function is not working or actuating at all when I double press the lock button on the remote or try the lock button on the driver's door. I haven't gone as far as taking things apart yet.

Does that give anyone any other ideas as to what my fix might be?
OK, since the lock button on remote and driver door don't work, the problem has got to be on the rear door. I'm pretty sure you will have to take the plastic cover off to correct the problem... unless someone else strongly disagrees?

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Ok, when you push the remote button to lock & unlock the hatch, can you hear a clicking noise inside the door ? Both when locking & unlocking ?
If so, it may be that the plastic clip that holds the rod from the solonoid to the latch has broken off.
I recomend removing the inside panel & having a look.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:46 pm

OK, so I tore into it today. I had a few minutes and had to replace one of the license plate bulbs anyway.

As it turns out, the actuating mechanism back there was out of position since two of the three screws holding it in place had fallen out and the third was half way there also. I had heard some rattling when I would open or close the back hatch but assumed it was a couple of broken clips since I had been in there before (for other reasons).

Well, all of the clips were solid and it was the two screws which were rattling around. I dug 'em out, screwed them in and we are good to go.

Thanks again for your suggestions as I was this close to wasting $120 by buying a part I don't need.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”