what kind of Lug is this?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jasunderland

what kind of Lug is this?

Postby jasunderland » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:23 am

Do I need a special tool to get it off? I have not yet looked in the spare bag to see if anything is there....

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:29 am

I looked in the bag and all there is is the tire iron and 2 extentions as well as a Torx bit screw driver?

I also checked the owners manual and am not seeing anyting in there either....

help please

Thanks

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:44 am

Alright, I did some searching and found that I need a Key to take this off. Searched high and low and did not find one.

I did however find this lock Lug set:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2008/n ... k_set.html

My next question is will this Key take off the original lock or is that a special key as well?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:51 am

looks like the locking lug set from Nissan
http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-all ... _7314_7587&

Npath

Postby Npath » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:47 am

jasunderland wrote:Alright, I did some searching and found that I need a Key to take this off. Searched high and low and did not find one.

I did however find this lock Lug set:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2008/n ... k_set.html

My next question is will this Key take off the original lock or is that a special key as well?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Just like a key to your home and car... you need the exact pattern to take actually turn it.

If you can get it from the original owner, that would be great.

If not, you'll have to drive over to a wrecker where they'll bash some sort of unlocking key that is of harder material than the lock itself. After a few smashes, they'll get a ratchet or pry bar to take it off.

They'll charge you some ridiculous price to take off all 4, but that's the price for not having the key.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:57 am

There are special sockets out there that will take these off. If you can find a low profile 13/16" or 15/16" (not hardened) socket, and put a thin strip of rubber on the inside and tap it on, you might get enough torque to remove it.

I lost the key for the rims on my 98 civic, and that what I ended up doing.

You can also try taking it to the Nissan dealer and they probably have a whole bucket of these keys to try. There are a limited number of patterns, its not like your house or car, as you stated. I think there are a dozen or so different patterns.

Also an option, ask the previous owner?

There are kits out there for this too, see below:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OUZBNC/ref ... B000OUZBNC[/url]

t

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:22 pm

Thats why Ive never understood the point of these things. You can buy tools to take them off.

bkmtnff

Postby bkmtnff » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:11 pm

I had them on my 07 when I bought it this summer. No key was ever found, so a trip to sears for a 19mm socket was in order. Take the socket, costs about $4, bang it on good with a hammer, and twist it off. I used a breaker bar. Hammer the lock out of the socket and replace the lock with a regular lug.
Once I saw how easy they came off, they aren't worth the effort of putting locks on.

2008PatherfinderS

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:14 am

Budrbean wrote:Thats why Ive never understood the point of these things. You can buy tools to take them off.
Agreed, the only thing wheel locks are good for is to keep the owner from changing a flat tire :)

Steve

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:13 am

most theves will pass up a set of wheels that are on with locks.......If they want you wheels bad enough they will take the whole truck anyhow. I have XD Badlands on my pick-up and they require a special lugnut that reqires a tool for every lug.......I know Im screwed If i loose it, but if ya keep it in a safe place you wont have to worry. If your worried about your wheels I say get a new set of locks and keep track of the key.

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:42 pm

well good news.... I didnt look high or low enough.... found the key in its plastic bag inside the glove box... thought I looked good through there...

i stopped at auto zone to see if they had the pattern and the guy said his g/f had one on her civic and it was in the glove box... low and behold.... it sure was...

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Cool deal !!

Stone Path

Postby Stone Path » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:42 pm

freak2180 wrote:most theves will pass up a set of wheels that are on with locks.......If they want you wheels bad enough they will take the whole truck anyhow.
Quoted for truth......

I used to be friends with a repo-man, and I can tell you from first hand experience after going out with him on vehicle seizures. If somebody wants your vehicle (or anything on/in it) bad enough, they will get it. Alarms, locking lugs, etc. are just there to persuade the scum-bag thieves to move on to an easier target.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”