I Hate TPMS!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

fenn

I Hate TPMS!

Postby fenn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:01 am

I just got new tires and the tpms has been givingme hell over the past 2 days. One started leaking out of no where and the valve stem on the other broke while trying to remove it.

the leaking one i was able to get another turn on the nut and got rid of the leaking but the other with the broken stem has to get replaced. gonna cost me about 100 bucks.

this pathy is a lease and I can't wait to get rid of it. The pathy has been good to me but after all the problems i've had with this tpms i will never buy a car with it again.

sorry for the rant, just not happy.

the shop is taking care of me. not charging me for labor just for the sensor.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 am

hate to burst your bubble but most new cars will have the tpms sensors in them. so your not going to escape that.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: I Hate TPMS!

Postby disallow » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:45 am

[quote="fenn"]the leaking one i was able to get another turn on the nut and got rid of the leaking but the other with the broken stem has to get replaced. gonna cost me about 100 bucks. [quote]

TPMS has saved me well over the $100 its costing you to replace this sensor. It lets you know as soon as the pressure drops. This means you can usually pull over in time to ensure that the tire won't get shredded and can be repaired instead of replacing it.

I'd say its money well spent.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Perhaps you should look for a new shop that won't mess up the TPMS.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:45 pm

bbermann wrote:Perhaps you should look for a new shop that won't mess up the TPMS.
+1 :)
i have Firestone do my tire work for me, and they are very careful with the sensors
they also install a sensor seal kit each time they remove & re-install a sensor

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Tire shops have to be very conscious of these expensive little sensors. There are no guarantees they will come out without getting damaged, and most tire shops make you sign a waiver saying they are not liable if they get damaged.

But agreed, know your shop, make sure they are taking the care required!

fenn

Postby fenn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:30 pm

thats the crazy part, the guy was rated extremely high on tire rack. He's the local preferred installer so he's gotta deal with alot of them.

i watched him and he seemed to do it all right. He told me before hand that sometimes the cores break and its hard to prevent and thats what happened. First one went fine and the second one broke. 3rd and 4th were fine.

he got the new sensor and put it in but his tool wouldn't activate it. I spoke with a buddy's friend who is a Nissan tech and agreed that you need the consult tool to do it. He even told me that it happens with the cores of the sensors. Said the only good thing about going to nissan and having tires put on is that if it breaks they will warranty it.

nissan wants 55 to hook up consult and do it

so now i'm at about 250 to have tires just installed.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:58 pm

there is nothing written in Law that you the vehicle owner, cannot remove the sensors.. I did not reinstall mine, I hate the damn things, I just put a piece of black tape on the gage cover to hide the TPMS light. Works for me. :wink:

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:50 am

Yup i just changed the tyres recently and no problems to report of. I love the TPMS, i once had a leak and had no idea till that little light started flashing.

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:55 am

Bought 4 from a guy that posts here for a fantastic price.
Bought 4 new kits for 10 bucks on ebay.

Have them in the truck so when one craps out, I take it right over to my Nissan dealer who replaces it for 15 bucks including programing it.

1 crapped out yesterday, drove it over to my dealer, and they had me out in a hour. This was an unscheduled visit as well.

Do some scrounging, you will find them out there.

Or.... just get a piece of black tape and cover up the light.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”